Just Got an E-P3!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Mike_B, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Mike_B

Mike_B Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 30, 2012
    St. Louis, MO
    Hi all. I'm new to this forum. Looks like the best place to go for Oly PEN info. As the title says, I just got an E-P3 and am really excited. It's such a cool camera, I can't seem to stop picking it up.:biggrin: The pics I take are turning out great. There's just something about these PEN's. I had a E-PL1 a couple years ago and loved it. Then I bought into bigger is better (and took a friend's advice) and sold it to get get a Nikon DSLR. I always missed the Olympus and have now come full circle. I sold the Nikon to get the E-P3 and hope to get the OM-D at tax time.

My E-P3 came with the 14-42 lens. I should be getting the Pani 20mm in a couple weeks. I want to be able to carry the camera around in a jacket pocket. I also want to get the Aki-Asahi leather skin-

Seems to make the camera look even better. I was looking for a book to learn about this camera since the owner's manual is pretty dry. The closest I could find is the book for the E-P2-

David Busch's Olympus PEN EP-2 Guide to Digital Photography, 1st Edition: David D. Busch, Dan Simon: Amazon.com: Kindle Store

Can anyone tell me if the cameras are close enough to make this book worthwhile? Also, any tips to get the most out of my new best friend would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help given.
  2. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Well congratulations on your E-P3 and welcome aboard. I nearly bought an E-P3 myself a few weeks ago. But I went for the E-PM2 only because, given my other micro four-thirds cameras, I wanted something truly pocketable with a pancake lens. But I think you'll be very pleased with it. Re: lenses, the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is a wonderful lens (I have one) but keep in mind it won't be the fastest auto-focus lens on the E-P3. For that, you might consider Olympus's brand-new 17mm f/1.8 (as opposed to the f/2.8 version). But you'll pay at least $150 more than the 20mm. If that's too much money, go for the 20 and enjoy - I certainly do.
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Welcome and congrats! The Pens are indeed great fun to shoot with.
  4. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  5. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Welcome! The 14mm is a nice small lens and very affordable. One of the great features of the E-P3 is the touch screen - it's surprisingly useful!
  6. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Good Choice - one of my all time favourite cameras !
    It has such a wonderful solid quality feel to it that I haven't come across in any other M43 camera to the same degree
    Try the VF- 2 viewfinder for increased versatility
  7. spinyman

spinyman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 19, 2010
    San Diego
  8. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    I have the E-P3 and find it most satisfactory, even though it has what is now a last generation sensor.

Incidentally, if you are happy to wait about six months, there may well be a new generation PEN camera brought out with a better sensor that might be better for you than the OM-D if you like the style/handling of the PENs - apparently, such a camera is due to be announced sometime this month.

In the meantime, enjoy the E-P3! (I also recommend the Panasonic 14mm f/2.5 lens if you want to be able to carry the camera in a jacket pocket - much higher quality than the supplied 14-42mm lens, a very useful angle of view, and the smallest autofocus lens that one can buy; and at a very good price, too, if you get it on eBay having been split from a GF3 kit).
  9. peterbee

peterbee Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2011
    Huddersfield, UK
    Peter Bartlett
    Welcome! If my experience is anything to go by you'll love the E-P3.

After years of using SLRs and then DSLRs I bought an E-P3 as my first μ43 camera back in November 2011 to use alongside my Sony DSLR system. I found it a joy to use and I was able to capture images that I'd never have taken with a bulky DSLR.

After around 12 months I realised that I'd taken several thousand images with the E-P3 and just over 100 with the DSLR system! That fact prompted me to take stock and switch permanently to μ43 - I sold my Sony system (I never imagined I'd do that!) and reinvested the proceeds in an E-M5 body and kit lens plus several prime lenses (12mm, 60mm macro & 75mm) to supplement the 14mm, 17mm, 25mm & 45mm I already have.

I have no regrets about the decision as I find that the μ43 system suites my style of photography perfectly.