1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Just Got a Canon EF Adapter

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by J. Allen, Oct 29, 2010.

1. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    My Rainbow adapter arrived for my Canon lenses and my E-P2. It's very snug and I have to remember that it toggles back toward the camera to remove it from the lens it doesn't pull up to release the lens. I knew that because I figured it out before putting it on but I still wanted to pull it up when I removed each lens. I aaamm naught a smaarrt maan. For around $50 the quality and fit are very good.

I've only taken a few with the 50 1.2 and 135 in very low light but will post some in the subforum when I get something worthwhile. Setting the aperture on the Canon body and removing the lens while pressing the DoF button is a nice work around for the lack of an aperture ring on the lens.

The lenses feel surprisingly balanced on the camera but the correct focus requires surprisingly small movements of the focus ring to lock it in while using the evf. Hopefully I'll be able to post some shots this weekend and evaluate the color rendition and bokeh as compared to the olympus and pana micro 4/3 lenses in my lineup.

2. Dunkeld

Dunkeld Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    Canon EF adapter.

I got my Canon EF adapter about a month ago, and I have to say I'm very pleased. With the Canon EF 50mm f1/ I've a fast, great low light, bokeh providing lens. My sigma 105mm f/2.8 EF fit is my macro lens, plus I can use Canon EF 17-85 plus EF 28-135. The EF 70-300 looks long but performs OK and in fact looks more balanced than those fatter 17-85 and 28-135 lenses.

The EF 50mm looks about right or max for the E-P2, whilst the others do look a bit oversized. I guess, the kit 14-42 is the best balanced, but you would expect that from a lens made especially for the camera.

My adapter sounds like yours, with the toggle release. I'll look forward to seeing what you manage to capture with EF fit.

Dave T.

3. gummyrabbit

gummyrabbit Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    How do you set the aperture with an Canon EF lens?

4. photoSmart42

photoSmart42 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 12, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    With an Eos camera body.

5. gummyrabbit

gummyrabbit Mu-43 Regular

Sep 15, 2010
    So you mean once you set the aperture in an EOS body, the aperture will not "reset" when attached to a 4/3 body?

6. The aperture of an EF/EFS lens is set electronically so it won't reset until it is mounted back onto an EOS body.

7. J. Allen

J. Allen Mu-43 Regular

Aug 29, 2010
    There's a bit more to it than that. You have to set the lens to the aperture while the lens is attached to the Canon body, then hold down the DoF button and remove the lens while the camera is still on. The aperture will remain in that position so you can then attach it to the m4/3 body using the adapter.

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    What a PITA

• Like Like x 1
  9. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, that's a Canon EF-specific issue.

10. My E-P1 came with an EF adapter, but the novelty wore off very quickly. I've got a perfectly good 50D if I want to shoot with EF lenses.

11. ifixfxs

ifixfxs New to Mu-43

Sep 25, 2010
    Santa Fe
    aperture madness

If I need a canon body to set the lens aperture for my 4/3 rig, why not just use the canon body? Why carry two cameras? Why use the inferior sensor?
    Is this blasphemy?
    Dave

12. deirdre

deirdre Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 9, 2010
    Well, you get a different crop factor on the Canon than on :43:, so you get two lenses for the price of one if you carry both bodies with you.

13. drpump

drpump Mu-43 Regular

Oct 28, 2010
    Must admit that I can't really see the point in using Canon EF lenses on a u4/3 camera, unless you only want to shoot wide open. Perhaps someone will come up with a "smart" adapter with an electronic aperture control. I assume that's possible.

14. Not blasphemy at all, it just demonstrates the impracticality of the EF to m4/3 adapter. Presumably if you have EF/EFS lenses then you have a Canon EOS body with which you can use the lenses on with full compatibility. By putting them on a m4/3 body instead you lose the functionality of AF and aperture and are not exactly using them on a technically superior camera.

Having said that, I give props to anyone who actually carries around an EOS camera body for the sole purpose of changing the aperture of EF lenses for their m4/3 camera!