Just got a bargain?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by Farcanalman, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    I just gave up smoking on monday and promised myself if I got through the bad part(3 day cold turkey), I would have a look for a legacy lens.

Today after deciding not to get any tobacco I went via an antique/flea market and found an Auto Reflecta 55mm f1.8 lens(M42 fit), snappy and dry iris elements, smooth and regular focus ring and a very clean overall condition, with a Hoya skylight(1A) filter and a silicon rubber hood for the princely sum of £5($7.50)!

A bargain? I think so! Certainly an adequate treat for an abstinant ex-smoker!

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Congrats on refraining and obtaining!
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012

I like that phrase, consider it robbed dude!

And thx btw!

4. Luke

Luke Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 30, 2010
    Milwaukee, WI
    Keep sticking it out. The first 3 days are the roughest, but I had still had strong cravings on and off for a year at certain trigger events. I really enjoyed it, but looking back I can't believe I ever did it. Absolutely disgusting habit......and it does kill you. I had forgotten that part.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Farcanalman

Feb 12, 2012
    Too true...

I know this is the adapted lens thread and I promise pictures of said lens soon!

But you are right dude, how many people just do not realise the things that are staringly obvious to us, like if it was a housefire you would not breath it in?

But unfortunately we are a breed that is driven by desire above necessity and therefore easily led to err!

Sod that, I am not going to let that insidious and pointless alcoloid rule my life for one minute longer, let the photography begin!

Oops, I went a bit far there and said that out loud!

6. dcassat

dcassat Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 16, 2011
    Remember while your enjoying your new/old lens out in a field somewhere, wishing you had a cigarette, that they don't kill you fast, they kill you slowly often by suffocation... and then look behind you and take the most awesome shot that you almost missed!

• Like Like x 1
  7. digitaldan1

digitaldan1 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 22, 2010
    Can't comment on the lens, but do want to second what others have said about staying strong. While the first few days are the hardest (kicking the physical addiction) what's so terrible about smoking is that it is also a powerful psychological addiction. I quit a number of times (once for two years) and every now and then gave in to have "just one." Before I knew it I was smoking again. It wasn't until I had a serious medical scare 12 years ago that I quit cold turkey and haven't a smoke since. I wish you the best of luck. Stay strong!
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Empireme

Empireme Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    LA, CA
    I quit too. I quit after a first date and I knew that she was the one for me. She's now my wife of 3 years and we have a beautiful daughter. And I haven't had a cigarette once - but I still get the cravings even now.

I used Nicorette to help me quit. I personally couldn't have done it cold turkey, but for me it was important that I quit not how I did it.
    • Like Like x 2