1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just for fun - guess the price of the Olympus 12-100!

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by alex g, Sep 14, 2016.

1. $899 or less

2. $999

3. $1199

4. $1399

5. $1599 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    There's plenty of speculation, so let's have a poll!

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I voted for $1199, but it I'm not a serious looker/buyer until it is under the $700 mark.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. SVQuant

SVQuant Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2015
    SF Bay Area, California, USA
    Sameer
    I voted $1199 as well and I also will probably not look at it until it is around $700. I would consider replacing my 14-150II + 9-18 with it, though it is a heftier lens than those two put together. And I'll give up the 9mm. I'm also guessing that the E-M1 mkII kit with this lens will be $2,399.

4. dalto

dalto Mu-43 Regular

Jul 6, 2016
    Texas
    I voted 1199 but I think it just as likely that is 999.

It is kind of an interesting lens. I am curious to see how it performs optically.

The interesting thing about that focal length for me is that the times that I am going to want to have an all-in-one zoom lens are the same times when I would want a light weight lens. I don't think I would want a lens that is 50% heavier than the 12-40 PRO as a walkabout lens.

On the other hand, it wouldn't bother me to have the weight of the 40-150mm if I was going to be significant telephoto work.

5. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    I voted $1399 on the basis that it offers a greater zoom range than the 40-150 pro, it has OIS and it's new. If it were also f/2.8, it would surely be more expensive than the 40-150 so, on balance, something around the same price seems likely to me.

Having said that, if the plan is to market it as the default 'kit' lens for the new E-M1, $1399 seems a little on the high side!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
    $1,399, but I'm sure it'll be discounted $100 right away.

7. InlawBiker

InlawBiker Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 1, 2012
    Seattle, WA
    Greg
    Nikon's 24-120mm f4 is around $1000, same with Canon's 24-105 f4 L. I suspect about the same from Olympus, but maybe higher right out of the gate.

8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    But this is effectively getting a 24-105/4 and a 70-200/4 in a single lens. Will Olympus will price it to match just one of those lenses?

(I'm guessing $1499)

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Can it cost more than the 7-14,2.8 or 12-40,2.8 while being an f4?
    Would we really buy that the added IS would equate to a 2.8? It can't if motion, any motion is involved so not really right?

It will be interesting to see how it tests out and the images it produces.

It would be a great FL for indoor sports, but not at F4.

Street-shooters dream?

10. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Well, of course, if the E-M1 II's sensor performance really is at least one stop better in terms of noise, then, DoF aside, f/4 could be said to be the new f/2.8! :D

11. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    Also, with models that support the "Sync IS", Olympus is claiming this lens IS coupled with the camera's gives you an extra couple stops of IS. So even if they are exaggerating and it really is just one extra stop, then as you said that one extra stop makes this f4 lens on something like the E-M1 or Pen F "effectively a f2.8" lens.

Interesting thing to note that if used on an Sync IS body and giving you that extra stop or two of additional IS, this single lens effectively replaces the dual Panasonic "X Lenses" (for compatible Olympus bodies only).

12. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    If the EM1 II is a full stop better than the EM1, I will buy two at full retail. I doubt it will be more than 1/3rd stop better though. The only way I see 1 stop of improvement is if they use a sensor with a native ISO of 100, but that would be at low ISO, not high.

IS performance past the 5 stops that the top IBIS systems produces is of somewhat limited use. For instance, 5 stops at 12 mm brings the shutter speed down to 1.3 seconds, 6 stops to 2.5 seconds. Useful for still life but not much else. At 100mm 5 stops is 1/6th and 6 stops 1/3rd, again still life and that's it. So no matter how good the IS, an F4 lens isn't going to replace an F2.8 if you need to freeze motion.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
  13. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I guessed $1399. Once I saw the size and weight I sort of gave up hope inside that it was going to be affordable. Maybe if I can snag a used one for half the price a few years down the line I will consider it. But for something that weighs 561g, I might just be more inclined to go for something like the newly rumoured FZ2000. Fingers crossed it has weather-sealing, that's all.

14. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    And likewise, no matter how large the aperture, without IBIS you won't be able to take long exposures without a tripod. 1s is totally usable for car light trails, blurred pedestrian traffic, soft waterfalls or waves... :2thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Quite so, I wasn't seriously suggesting that f/4 is the new f/2.8, there are clearly situations where there is no substitute for a wider aperture. I was more suggesting a possible strategy behind Olympus's decision to produce this lens.

My guess is that research shows that there is a worthwhile, high-end casual-user market, people who are happy to pay for a high-quality, stylish, worry-free travel kit. There's no question that the aura of "pro photographer" has appealed to a certain kind of person ever since the industry began, and that buyers of high-end equipment are a mixture of genuine pros, aspirational enthusiasts, and unashamed lovers of swanky gear. Not all of those people care too much about the edges of the performance envelope, and for them, a top-quality, all-in-one travel lens which does everything that the average casual shooter needs, doesn't mind getting rained on or dusty and makes them feel good about themselves is quite likely an attractive prospect. That doesn't take away from the rest of the Pro range being attractive to the more demanding or creative user.

On the other hand, there are many strategies for packing a camera bag and, depending on what you're aiming to achieve, one viable option would be to pack something like this 12-100 and a couple of fast primes at the focal lengths that you're primarily interested in. You'd be planning on shooting the primes, but would know that that zoom was in the bag to enable you to catch the unexpected should it arise. You would still want the highest quality images from it, but you might be prepared to sacrifice that one stop of light, since it would primarily be a backup lens.

I can see many uses for it, and folks who will want to buy it.

16. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Quote from a post on another forum:

18. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Aha! Well it looks like 40% of the members of this forum would do well on the Price is Right! I'm impressed by how closely our votes correlate to the real price - an approximate Poisson distribution centred on the correct value, with a slight tendency towards optimism. :)

Well done, everybody, pats on the back all round! :D

19. budeny

budeny Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 4, 2014
    Boulder, CO
  20. Turbofrog

Mar 21, 2014
    $650 body only for the E-PL8 seems like a somewhat ridiculous price when you can get the GX85 for just $50 more, or the E-M10 II for the exact same price, both of which are dramatically more fully-featured.