Just bought my first m4/3 camera..but

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by totochan24, May 8, 2011.

1. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    Hi everybody, I just bought my first micro 4/3 camera, a beautiful white GF1.
    This is the japanese made GF1 and has japanese menu, I thought I'm pretty sure I can hack it to show english menu because I read somewhere that it is possible. Well, I should've done more reading, as I found out the hard way after spending the whole night tried to hack it that it has the new unhackable firmware. Had i read some more I would've found out that my GF1's serial number said that it is made around July 2010 thus have unhackable 1.24 firmware.

So anybody have any suggestion what should I do. Sell it again? Or waiting and hoping that someday Vitaliy at gh1-hack come out with a solution for this. Anybody (non-japanese) have any experience on using it with Japanese menu?

Thanks

2. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    私はあなたがだまされると思います

Bokeh Diem

3. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    Well thanks to Google translate I can understand that. So yes I guess I am. He probably know about the firmware and didn't tell me :(

4. sphexx

sphexx Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2010
    Harrogate, Yorkshire
    あなたは非常に残酷な

5. sprinke

sprinke Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 5, 2011
    Pasadena, CA
    Debi
    It seems to me likely that the Japanese menus would be the same as the English? Can't you just download the English version of the manual and, well, get used to recognizing the characters?

6. broadway

broadway Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2011
    UK
    Learn Japanese? :smile:

7. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    :biggrin: Haha, actually I am thinking of learning japanese before, so this is probably a good time to start

8. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I bought a white GF1 in Korea. The dealer "disappeared" with the camera in Japanese menus and came back with them in English. When I updated the firmware through the normal means, they went back to Japanese. Fortunately, mine was hackable, so it was a relatively easy fix.

There must be some "service" menu or other way of getting it to display all languages. I am sure all Vitaly's hack did was unlock that option to the regular user.

The question is whether you will be able to find a dealer that knows how to do it, and will be willing to help you. The Japanese versions are available with two warrantys and two corresponding prices. The cheap ones are JDM only warranty, and technically, Japanese language only. The normal priced ones are worldwide warranty, and should be language settable. If you bought JDM only warranty, then you are probably screwed. If you bought worldwide warranty, then Panasonic should be able to help you out (although the horror stories of Panasonic service would entice me to the "learn Japanese" option above)

9. totochan24

totochan24 Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    I think mine is JDM warranty. But thanks for your suggestion, I'll try contacting local panasonic service center and see where it goes. I should've done what you did, which is asking the seller to change the menu. I didn't think straight at that time (the GF1...it's so..white..must buy.. :redface:)

10. TimDanMick

TimDanMick Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 21, 2011
    Virginia
    I guess if we are talking translations "Seize the Light" should be 'Carpe lucem'.

11. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    GF1's UI is very well thought out. Once you set the camera for your liking, there's virtually no need to use its menus.

12. Bokeh Diem

Bokeh Diem Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 14, 2010
    Toronto
    Sometimes these things just get lost in translation