1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just bought E-PL2 WOW!!!!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by andyw, Jan 20, 2011.

1. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Hi All

Some of you may see this thread from another forum but it needs to be here too!

I took back the NEX 5 to the shop today as i wasn't happy enough with it to keep it due mainly to no decent AF lenses. The chap asked if there was anything else i wanted to exchange it for and a asked if he had the E-PL2. He said they had the 1st batch in last night and they had 1 black one. After playing with it for a while and loved how it looked and felt i decided to buy it!!!:smile:

I get home and test it out.

Good bits
    Retro looks
    Silent focus motor
    AF DAMN quick, really surprised!
    Light
    Feels great to hold
    IS superb
    Easy to set up and use
    Scene modes are AWESOME!!! You can go into say Monochrome and there are loads of custom settings in there plus you can customise it yourself so you can get what you want. I think this could be real fun! Some ART modes also have different types.
    Image quality.....the biggy for me.....SUPERB. I was really surprised by how good the lens is. I have popped a couple test shot's below.

I think i got one of the 1st E-PL2's in the country! They were not even on display plus i got it £30 cheaper than i thought it was going to be.

Bad Bits
    No RAW support in LR and prob not for PS either
    No MF Adapter yet, gonna have to order one today.

So there ya go. AWESOME!! Prob bet move i have ever made! And i seriously think that if any camera could replace my DSLR this camera is it!!!! 10/10 Olympus!!

1: Front

2: Back

3: Leaf

4: Flying Pig. Focus was on the nose

• Like Like x 10
  2. leeh

leeh Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 20, 2011
    Did you buy a VF2, I have the EPL1, I went back to the shop and bought one , recon the camera is excellent with the VF2 attached, I am only an amateur but I found I had more control over taking shots, just could see more.

3. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    I bought one for my old GF1 and it wasn't very good and i didn't use it much anyway. It's not something i need although i would think it odd to use Live view on my Canon DSLR!! Weird eh!

The Olympus EVF is supposed to be really good so i may give it a go one day.

4. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    Congrats, I'm surprised the shop had it, not even the Olympus online store has it yet.
    You are one of the few people in the internet world with one - we are eager for info.

It will be interesting to see if the MK2 kit lens is better in terms of IQ that the Mk1. If so, it would be yet another contender for my lens considerations, given the possibility of the converters. It's not easy to tell without a direct comparison.

Do you mean you can't import RAWs into Lighroom, or just that there isn't a profile for it (there's no profiles for the EPL1)?

5. bbq797

bbq797 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2011
    Thanks for posting--great shots. I'm looking to upgrade from a p&s and really want to get the PL2, the only concern I have is shutter lag. I know you said the AF is faster than PL1--how's the shot to shot time? I lose a lot of pics of my kids w/p&s waiting for camera to refresh (esp. w/flash).

Would you say this would be a good camera to shoot pics of fast moving toddlers?

Thanks!!

6. daimos

daimos Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 23, 2010
    Ottawa,Ontario,Canada
    richard
    with people shots, i always set to burst mode.
    memory cards are cheap, you can always delete later.
    cheers.

7. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Congrats! Definitely a camera worth looking at.

One side note: I still haven't seen it offered with the 17mm. I would like a black 17mm, which so far has only come with the black limited edition E-P2 (black E-P2, 17mm, and FL-14.) There are several pictures on the website of the black E-PL2 with the black 17mm, so I'm wondering if that will be a standard kit, another limited edition black kit, or just promotional (i.e., not actually offered together.) If it's the first one, then I may buy the kit, try the E-PL2, and sell whichever body (GF1, E-PL2) I like the least.

8. ill_dawg

ill_dawg Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2010
    From what I've heard, you should be able to get the black 17mm soon. And, if they're selling it alone, it should find its way into a kit. Or, at least, one would hope so. Myself, I'm holding out for the pro spec model coming out in the summer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    The Mk2 lens is silent and that would be great for street photography when up close.

Lightroom does not support RAW files for the PL2 yet. It will soon i expect.

I don't see why not. I was not comparing the E-PL1 to the E-PL2 for AF speed but just generally it was fast. Would be better indoors with a faster lens but fin outside.

I think they do a 17mm kit but not sure of colour of lens. Seeing as the 14-42 is black i would think buying a black body & lens kit it would come with a black lens!?!?! I prefer the E-PL2 to my old GF1. I will get a 20mm f1.7 at some point for it.

10. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    dawg, any info or link referencing said pro spec model?

btw-Congrats andy, enjoy your new EPL2. I'm looking forward to getting a hold of one. :thumbup:

11. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    do you get those red dots in the image when you shoot into a bright light source?

12. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Not tried that yet.

13. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Congratulations. Looks like a great camera.

One of the positive points you mention is that the IS is great. Can you explain what you mean by that? What did you do to judge it?

Thanks

14. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Experience!:2thumbs:

15. linkedit

linkedit Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2010
    New Jersey, USA
    I was excited to upgrade my E-PL1 to the PL2 but now that I can get a GH1 w/ 14-42 for $375 from the Panny EPP I'm torn as to what to do.

16. stanleyk

stanleyk Guest

May 26, 2010
    Can you clarify this? I have an E-P2 and am able to use my RAW files in Lightroom 2.

"Bad Bits
    No RAW support in LR and prob not for PS either
    No MF Adapter yet, gonna have to order one today."

How is the EPL2 different. Also, I am about to switch to a Mac, does Aperture not support RAW files from either the E-P2 or EPL2?

Thanks!!

17. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    I'm not sure what you mean.
    I can import .orf (RAW) files from my EPL1 into Lightroom.

18. shoturtle

shoturtle  

Oct 15, 2010
    congrats, enjoy your new toy. there is a world of difference between the panny evf for the gf1 and the evf for the pens.

19. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    Excellent!

I'm also trying to decide whether to wait and see what is coming out. I like the E-PL2 a lot more than the E-PL1 or E-P2, but it's still not the camera that I'm hoping Panny or Oly will come out with (the rangefinder-syle with built-in EVF.)

20. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    Thanks for the preview

Andy - thanks for the overview of the new E-PL2. You mentioned the new quiet AF kit zoom--have you tried it on video yet? One of the few annoying things about the Pens I've used is the very noisy AF when shooting video with the kit zoom or the 17mm.