1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just bought an RX100 IV

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by ijm5012, Apr 13, 2016.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Just yesterday I purchased what is basically a brand-new RX100 IV from a user on FM. He said he bought it with the intent of shooting 4K video on a family vacation, but just ended up using his RX1 the whole time. The camera has less than 50 shots on it, comes with everything it did new, has a good copy of the lens (no decentering, which the seller had checked for), and I got it for 25% off MSRP.

I had been keeping my eye on the RX100 series for a while now, ever since the Mk.III came out. I have a little Canon S120 that I take with me to the races when I help out on the pit crew, because it's a nice way to document some of the "behind the scenes" stuff that goes on. While the S120 was a nice camera, the slower lens and smaller sensor did lead to more "watercolor" images once light started dropping off. I also like to shoot video when I'm there as well, and while the S120 did managed to have 60p video, the small sensor and pixel binning didn't create the most stunning video.

I had been watching prices of the Mk. IV and saw that they were typically selling for about $700 over on FM. One came up for about that price yesterday, so I jumped on it. If all is well with the camera and I like it, I'll be selling my S120 which after all the fees and what not, should bring my net cost for the Mk. IV down to about $500.

Some things I like about the RX100 IV:
    • 20MP, 3:2 aspect sensor that isn't far behind m43 sensors in terms of dynamic range or color depth. I end up shooting a lot of my landscape stuff in 3:2 anyways, so this will give me about 6MP of more resolution compared to the 14MP I get from a 16MP 4:3 sensor cropped to 3:2.
    • All of the video options (4K, 24p, 60p, 120p, 240p, etc.) It's going to be a great little video cam, and I will likely end up using it over one of my GH4's for all of the slow-mo stuff (and depending on how good it is, I may end up selling one of my two GH4's :gasp:)
    • Bright lens and big sensor. Yes, the lens speed does fall off rather quickly, but its still an f/2.8 which is damn good for a compact. The 1" sensor helps in this respect as well by delivering excellent noise performance.

The camera should be here on Friday, which means I'll be able to play with it this weekend and see how it does. The weather looks like it should be nice as well, and I may even get up to do a sunrise shoot and compare the GH4, E-M1, and RX100 IV to see how they compete.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Well, the camera is schedule to be delivered today. It needs a signature, but I'm hoping the signed note I left the USPS employee will suffice. My plan is to take the RX100 IV, E-M1, and GH4 out to shoot the sunset tomorrow. I'm really interested in seeing how the cameras compare. I'll also be putting the RX100 IV's video to good use next weekend, as there's another local auto-x that will give me a good opportunity to test out the 4K and slow-mo functions of the camera.

3. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    Cool....

I have several serious photographer friends that own RX100mk3's and they appreciate the pocket size camera with very good IQ.

I've often considered the RX100 bodies for something to throw in my pocket vs using my Iphone 6plus.

I find when it comes to human subjects this will be a true test in camera IQ. For landscape, cars and furry animals we can get away with murder due to straight lines and high texture fur. As photographers look at human skin texture we know exactly how our skin should look like This is where noise reduction can be a sensitive application in post processing.

I think the RX100 is a killer point and shoot for the speed of glass and overall performance.

4. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    I used an RX100iii for a few days and it's true that the IQ is pretty good for such a small camera. However, the handling of it is a fair way behind the Olympus cameras I usually use. I decided that in practical terms an old e-m5 or e-m10 plus the little Panasonic 12-32 isn't so big to be burdensome and it's usability as a camera is a lot better. YMMV of course and for sure it's quite a technological tour de force.

5. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    When you talk about handling, I assume you're talking about physical handling i.e. ergonomics, and not other issues like menu system structure or what not. If that's the case, I ordered the Sony grip for the camera, as well as one of those leather-texture kits that I'll apply to the front of the camera, just to give it some texture and a softer material (I never liked any P&S with a slick metal front, too hard to comfortably and confidently hold).

For still images, you're right that a small m43 camera and lens is barely bigger (RX100 IV vs. GM1+12-32). But I also have an interest in video quality (hence why I went with the Mk. IV over the III), and there really isn't a m43 camera that can do what the Mk. IV can do outside of the GH4, and even then there are some advantages to the RX100 IV (namely, sharper 120fps vs. the GH4's softer 96fps, the ability to 240fps, excellent stabilization in 1080p modes).

I plan to compare the RX100 IV to my E-M1 and GH4, so it'll be interesting to see how the camera compares to the current flagship m43 cameras (granted, they're going to be replaced later this year, but are still excellent cameras).

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

How do the video specs of the new Panasonic ZS100 compare to the RX100 4?

7. AlanU

AlanU Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2012
    I think the beauty of the Rx100mk4 is that it has the f/1.8 to f/2.8 zoom lens. I'd appreciate that camera for stills and casual vid clips.

Alot of p/s camera's have slower lenses like the zs100. Not sure if its a deal breaker but price reflects the slower lens too.

8. tkbslc

A lot of cell phones also have f1.8, but that's not the point! The point is that the ZS100 is the first true compact with a big zoom and a big sensor. That's a big deal in a different way (and it is still f2.8 on the wide end for indoors)

The RX100 IV seems like a good pocket alternative to m4/3 + 12-35 while the ZS100 is for m4/3 + 14-140. Just as some would prefer to travel with the 12-35 for speed, others travel with a 14-140 for zoom flexibility. One is not better than the other, just different.

But, getting back to the topic at hand, I was mainly just interested in hearing from ijm5012 about how the video specs compare since he seems to know more about that than I do.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The main appeal of the RX100 IV and RX10 II is the high-FPS options, which are currently untouchable in the non-professional video market. Due to the stacked-sensor design, these Sony's have the fastest readout speeds on the market. If you just want 4K recording with good quality, the ZS100 should be broadly similar assuming the lens aperture suits your requirements. The RX100 IV may have some more grading options / LOG options built in for those who are going to be heavily post-processing their video, but I'm not sure.

The ZS100 has a slower aperture, but a vastly larger lens range, going 4x as long. Many other cameras on the market match or beat the RX100 IV's lens specs at lower prices, sometimes significantly lower (Canon G7X, Panasonic LX100, Nikon DL24-85). The Sony is priced the way it is for its video and it's stacked sensor, solely.

10. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I'm not certain, because I never really considered the ZS100, mainly because of its size and its slower lens. The ZS100 is 9mm wider, 6mm taller, and 3mm thicker than the RX100. While these numbers don't mean much for a camera that's toted around in a dedicated bag, it does mean a lot when evaluating cameras that can fit in your pocket. The RX100 IV even has me concerned that it might be a bit too big, but I'll figure that out when I get my hands on the camera.

Also, the lens on the RX100 IV is 1.8-2.8, while the lens on the Panasonic is 2.8-5.6. Over a stop faster at the wide end does make a difference, especially when talking about smaller sensors. That's the difference between shooting the ZS100 at ISO 3200, and shooting the RX100 IV at ISO 1250.

11. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I think that's a good analogy between the 12-35 and 14-140. The interesting thing is, I own the 12-35 and use it on my GH4, and find the focal length perfectly suitable for general travel photography (I brought my 12-35 when I went to China and found that I was never really left wanting more reach). Depending on how good the RX100 IV is, it may replace the GH4/12-35 as my go-to travel camera for general photo's an video (if I'm traveling for something more specific, then I'll take my m43 gear that's right for the job, but if it's just travel for work where I only have an evening or two available, bringing the RX100 certainly seems like a better option, at least on paper).

As for video, I'm really interested in Sony's 4K, 120fps 1080p (it is sharper than the GH4's 96fps option which is a bit soft), and the quality-mode 240fps 1080p (likely about as sharp as the GH4's 96fps mode).

Yes, the ZS100 has more reach, but that's not really something that I needed in a camera like this, and the RX100 IV had more features that I would normally use.

12. tkbslc

Yeah, I go back and forth, but 70mm equiv is pretty short for me for a sole travel camera. If I could get just a little more, say 135mm, I would be perfectly satisfied.

[Sorry for the hijack, you just mentioned compact 1" and 4K, so the ZS100 popped into mind as well. ]

So, I knew it had slo-mo, but I assumed it meant at a low res like past cameras have done. I just looked up the specs and then watched a sample video at 1080p at 480 and 960fps. That's quite a feat!

Not sure where I would use it, but that's definitely cool stuff. ZS100 can do 4K at 30fps or 1080p at 120fps, so like you said, good for most standard video stuff.

13. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    MN
    Tom
    I've been eyeballing the RX100 IV myself, but having the LX100 already I can't justify spending the money right now. It's just that the RX100 is literally pocketable, and the LX100--while small--is not quite. Plus 20MP beats 12MP (cropped m43 sensor). I see tests about low light/high ISO performance against micro 4/3rd sensors, but I'm just curious as to how much they apply in real life shooting.

14. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    If you want something to actually put in your pocket, I'd recommend the Canon G9X, or even the Ricoh GR which is longer but noticeably thinner. Both are more pocketable than the RX100 III or IV, which is simply too thick to comfortably fit into a pocket. Well, my pockets, anyway. I'd try it out before committing to it, if the main reason you're getting it is to fit into a pocket, you may find yourself disappointed because you never end up using it that way.

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  15. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Yeah, I just got it today and it's certainly an impressive little camera. I'm obviously still coming to grips with it, but if you plan on putting it in your jean pockets, expect to get a lot of weird looks. If you're talking coat pocket then that's fine, but it is a lot thicker than your standard P&S camera.

I may be willing to make that trade off just based on the superior video quality over the Canon cameras.

One thing I will say that if you plan on getting the camera, buy the Sony $15 grip. It makes a WORLD of difference in griping the camera and using it.

16. svtquattro

svtquattro Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 24, 2012
    Vancouver, Canada
    Congrats on your purchase! I gave in to temptation and picked up an LX100 which is often compared to the RX100 III/IV. Shot my first 4k video clip at 100MBit/sec and yes, it's stunning on my Retina display but I don't have any 4k TV! Sweet little camera and I'm sure the RX100 is just as good (and smaller too).

The Canon G9X or whatever it's called is just so ugly!

17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Well, I got out last night and had a chance to use the RX100 as well as my GH4 and EM1, and am really impressed with the files the camera spits out. Below are images from my RX100M4, EM1, and GH4, all 3-shot HDR images merged in LR6. I've also included the original RAW file converted to a JPG, to see the starting point for the RX100's image.

This camera is seriously impressive. I still have a lot of testing to do with it, but initial impressions look like I may be able to use this as my travel camera for shorter trips rather than bringing my GH4 and 12-35. Anyways, on to the images...

Original RX100M4 File

26453959025_f6144796a5_b. PNC Park HDR - RX100M4 - Original by Ian Menego, on Flickr

Final RX100M4 File

25849104034_fb73aee65a_b. PNC Park HDR - RX100M4 by Ian Menego, on Flickr

Final EM1 File

26181117670_af9f692512_b. PNC Park HDR - EM1 by Ian Menego, on Flickr

Final GH4 File

26428032216_c763381463_b. PNC Park HDR - GH4 by Ian Menego, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. RakSiam

RakSiam Mu-43 Regular

Oct 11, 2013
    What's "FM"?

19. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Fred Miranda, a photography forum website like this, but their For Sale section has all kinds of gear on it.

20. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian