Just Bought A Used Fuji X100...

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
I have a X100T on pre-order but came across a very lightly used X100 in mint condition with only 661 actuations on it at a great price (equivalent to $350USD).

Since I was planning to buy the wide and tele converter lenses with the X100T, having a second body ends up being a nice option to have. Having bought it literally less than an hour ago, I haven't had a chance to upgrade to the latest firmware which should speed up AF considerably. As it is now, it's a bit pokey, especially compared to my EM1.

Anyways, gonna snap a few today and get a feel for the camera.

zeropoint

Mu-43 Rookie
Real Name
Sean
Let us know what you think. I see them here in Japan for not much more than you paid - less in fact than a Oly 17mm 1.8. I've been tempted… I'd also like to hear your thoughts on how the older model holds up to the x100t when you get it.

Markb

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mark
I'm on my second X100 (should we say "X100 classic" now?). I sold the first due to frustrations with the focus system. Not so much the speed but inconsistency. When I tried one with firmware v2 it was like a different camera. It actually hit focus on what I aimed it at! There were other improvements too. Well done, Fuji :thumbup:

I'm sure the newer models are quicker and have more features but there's plenty of life in the original version. I like the look of the X100 files a little more than my X-E1. FWIW from the serial no. mine is just over two years old! Ancient :biggrin:

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
Just got home and updated to firmware v2.1 and I have to say, the camera feels pretty responsive now compared to before where it was on v1.3. AF is pretty zippy now although not quite as lightning quick as my EM1, but completely usable. Before updating the firmware, the camera felt a bit sluggish in AF performance. Not horrible but a bit laggy for sure. Much improved now.

I was a little worried about the SAB (sticky aperture blade) which affects a number of these cameras with serial numbers starting with 12, 13 and 14. Mine starts with 13 which dates it from 3rd quarter of 2011 although mine is free of the problem.

Didn't get to take many photos today and nothing worth posting as I was more interested in getting to know the cameras interface, which so far I'm liking quite a lot. The feel of the shutter release is very different from any of my other cameras. The half press is a bit further in and I'll probably end up getting a soft release button for this camera as well as the X100T when that arrives.

Having and using an aperture dial is quite refreshing. The OVF is quite nice with the digital overlay of info as well as focus confirmation and automatic parallax compensating frame lines. The EVF is nowhere near the quality of my EM1's EVF, but completely usable and I see myself using both of these depending on the situation.

So far so good. For now, first impressions are, it's the best $350 I've spent in awhile. More to come later.

dornblaser

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
David Dornblaser
Nice! Like you, I have been looking at the X100 for a while. I have been using a E-M10 w/ the O17 instead but X100 has a certain appeal of it's own. I will be interested to hearing your thoughts on the X100T when you have had a chance to use it. Congratulations on your X100 score!

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
B&H is selling them at $650 for 8+ condition and I've seen them mostly in the $500~650 range on eBay.

The one I bought was listed as excellent condition at $400 but the seller knocked it down to $350 and it turned out to be in mint shape with very little actuations.

There was a generic UV filter on it along with the Fuji leather case, the two piece kit that completely wraps the camera. Both of these seemed to have protected the camera physically from any sort of wear or damage. However, both of these will get tossed as I'm not a fan of wraparound cases and a B+W MRC UV Clear will replace the generic.

Anyways, I lucked out with this one and was at the right place at the right time.

Wow, I haven't seen the X100 for much under $500 anywhere in the US, I'm jealous!
GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

tyrphoto

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
ㅇtㅈyㅅr
Just a quick snap of the camera with a newly purchased Artisan & Artist Silk Cord strap. Still need to get a lens hood for it but the local Fuji dealer is out of stock.

15495557885_74f77a7622_b.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
Just a quick snap of the camera with a newly purchased Artisan & Artist Silk Cord strap. Still need to get a lens hood for it but the local Fuji dealer is out of stock.

I wouldn't dismiss the knock off hoods made by JJC and others. The look just as good and work just as well for a lot less money.

Pili

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Alex
I bought the JJC hood for mine but never use it, makes it that much harder to tuck into a bag and the flare isn't too bad imo. The filter adapter is useful though, I keep a B&W uv (or CP) on the the front all the time. Can't beat it for 12 bucks or whatever it was.

Latest threads

Top Bottom