Just bought a Panasonic GX1.. where to learn it best?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by funkright, Dec 15, 2012.

1. funkright

funkright Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2012
    I'm definitely green to this camera and better cameras in general, having only owned P&S cameras in the past. The kit I picked up is a GX1 with 14-42mm PZ lens.

Not to sound like a newbie, but I have 'fallen down the rabbit hole' of photography in the last week or so, and am not sure what the best source is to actually learn about all this interesting stuff (e.g. how to best use this new camera, settings etc, to get the best pictures possible). Is there a best online course for photography in general that would be applicable to using this camera?

Any pointers would definitely be appreciated. (btw, posted this to another site as well, just trying to dive into this new world I have found)

Thanks, in advance :2thumbs:

2. vtsteevo

vtsteevo Mu-43 Regular

Nov 20, 2012
    Just search for "GX1" within this subforum. I am a newbie with a GX1 that I got 2 weeks ago, and this forum has a ton of information. Here are some threads that I found helpful:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f43/finally-bought-gx1-please-give-me-secret-tips-31709/
    https://www.mu-43.com/f43/gx1-best-camera-settings-tips-30716/

Rgeorge911's blog about G3 settings... applicable to GX1: DMC-365 - My Year with Lumix and Leica!: Final Two Chapters of My Free G3 Settings eBook Available For Download! Get the Whole eBook Here, Free!

And Bhupinder2002's thread on 25mm vs 20mm is epic .. led me to purchase both lenses, though still haven't made up my mind which one to keep :)

3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Instead of searching specifically about the GX1, you should search for general photography tips. There are many sources online to get you started i.e. Google, Youtube, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yup, I concur with Spatulaboy. Photography is photography, and has little to do with the camera you use.

5. LeoS

LeoS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 6, 2012
    One way is to just read about basic picture taking tutorial, go take pictures of the subject/event/environment that you're interested in and come back here with more specific questions...

That may work out better since you'll be dealing with concrete problems and will be given practical solutions that applies to your case.

ps: then again, I'm also a noob. what do I know :biggrin:

6. funkright

funkright Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 15, 2012
    Thanks

Thanks so much for the tips, I am starting my journey. Hoping to take some great pics over this coming Christmas season :biggrin: