Just bought a NEX 3, keep my E-P1?

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
I just bought a NEX 3. I couldn't pass it up. They are so cheap now. The question is whether to keep the E-P1 or not? Obviously, they overlap quite a bit.

nokiamia

Mu-43 Regular
i'm sure by now you can see the diff of image quality between the 2. i had a NEX5 and EP2 side by side. though the lens made a huge difference (nex5 with 16mm vs ep2 with pana20mm), i kept the EP2 and sold off the NEX5.

iliakoltsov

Mu-43 Regular
I was hesitating between M4/3 and NEX, the ergonomics of the NEX is just a lot more different even though you can get used to it it is nowhere as handy as SLRs. They are a bit different EP1 or EPL1 have more the ergonomics of an SLR without the viewfinder. The advantage of the Nex is for low light shooting one of the best sensor out there. You could use it as a camera for low light shooting.

macjansson

Mu-43 Regular
I prefer the in body IS of the EP-1. I'm also hoping that m43, being an open standard,will attract more and more manufacturers. I'm sticking with my EP-1 for a while. I'm not unhappy with it so looking for another camera is just plain consumerism.
The Lumix 20mm f1,7 combined with in body IS will go along way.

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
Man. I missed out on the $124 16mm NEX lens. I hesitated and now it's gone. The cheapest one I can find now is $174. I kept thinking that the NEX 3 is only $150, $124 for the lens seemed pretty steep in comparison.

shoturtle

both the lenses for the nex are soft. If you are big into sharp photos, you have only one choice right now with the nex, 18-200mm HD lens for 800 dollars.

drpump

Mu-43 Regular
The advantage of the Nex is for low light shooting one of the best sensor out there.

Well, it would be if they had lenses to match. Their best is an f/2.8, although I guess you could use an adapted lens and manual focus (or slow AF for A-Mount lenses). You would do just as well with an M4/3 camera and 20mm f/1.7 lens.

shoturtle

well you also have to consider for low light non action shots. The ibis gives the pen's and advantage with the 20 .17 in low light. shoot at 1600 iso at 1.7, an you still can hand hold at 1/6 of a sec.

lenshoarder

Mu-43 All-Pro
Well, it would be if they had lenses to match. Their best is an f/2.8, although I guess you could use an adapted lens and manual focus (or slow AF for A-Mount lenses). You would do just as well with an M4/3 camera and 20mm f/1.7 lens.

The NEX also has all those special modes such as Twilight, HDR, anti blur. Those really help out in low light. Check out the TX5 examples. That's with a little sensor and a slow lens. The NEX does it with a big sensor and a faster lens.

john1027

Mu-43 Veteran
Shoturtle is right about the lens quality on the NEX. I had a NEX 5 that I used extensively for a 2 week period but had to return it when it developed a problem where the ISO constantly got stuck at 12800. At that point, I just opted for a refund. It was very good with its sensor in decent light, but even with all the built-in programs you mentioned, it just didn't perform to the levels that in my opinion it should at the price point it sells for. I had both the pancake and the 18-55 and found the later to be the best of the two. I tried the 18-200 out in a store and found it just too big for the small body but that of course is subjective.

I would keep the EP1 until you are sure the NEX suits your needs. There are plenty of satisfied users but the platform right now is one that is clearly aimed at P&S shooters moving up vs. more experienced users seeking and alternate or smaller format than their traditional DSLRs. Sony recently reaffirmed their commitment to the NEX line and has promised a more high-end NEX model "soon" that will appeal to the higher-end users. We'll see. Right now, their current lenses are lacking unless you want to use their A series lenses with the adapter which can become an expensive proposition. You can also supplement their lens line with older legacy lenses but you give up auto focus to do so.

It all comes down to what you want and I hope the NEX provides that for you. I didn't tap the video end at all, but from what I have read, that is excellent. It is a quality built device and very rugged. The LCD is probably the best I have used including outside. Anyway, good luck with whatever you decide to do.

usayit

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Seriously.. hoard lenses not camera bodies.. This is especially true with digitals. I'd sell it to free up funding for lenses or another NEX if the system does meet your needs.

If you are intend on using it as a backup, you should go on a quick trip with both and see if it works for you. My guess from personal experience that it will not work out. Two different user interfaces (to remember and do a mental context switch), two sets of batteries, two sets of chargers, two different post process workflows, even two crop sizes... etc..

I loved the Epson R-D1.

I also love shooting with the M8.

The R-D1 is about as close to a modern classic digital as you are going to get; You shoot as if it were the same film Voigtlander Bessa Rangefinders from which it was built on. LCD hides, analog dials, even still has a manual "film" advance lever. I absolutely loved it. I forgot that its a digital at times. But in the end, it was a royal PITA to use as a backup to the M8 for all the reasons mentioned. I ended up selling it to fund an M9.

Now if you keep it for nostalgic reasons... or just to have another camera... etc.. then sure keep it. Its why I still have my G1 even though it sees little use, return is small, and I purchased it dirt cheap (wife uses it more now). It introduced me to m4/3rds format so it served its purpose. I figure that this isn't the case since this thread exists and a question is being asked. Trust me... I think at one time, I had 8 digital bodies (don't ask... lol).

IMO, there is little in common between the E-P1 and the original Pen from which to call it a modern classic. The whole user experience is different. Never the less, it doesn't take away from the fact that the E-P1 is still a good camera.. just don't "hoard" it because it "might" be a classic someday.

Real Name
Nic
That's probably by far the more conventional method of using multiple camera bodies, but for me the attraction of having multiple cameras is to be able to use something completely different. The only value I would place on having a new and superseded version of a camera is if the older body is used a genuine backup i.e. in case the newer one @&%#s up, but then I only shoot as a hobby so I don't rely on a working camera to eat.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Digital bodies advance so quickly that selling them becomes problematic once they get to be a certain age. I'd say IF you are gong to sell the E-P1 then now is the time to do it. If you wait too long you may as well give it away to someone and make their day.

As to whether or not to sell it because it's a classic...I think I'd rather let it go and have less stuff to cart around. Now, lenses I can see keeping.

Mu-43 Legend
I have kept both:

EP1: for use with the 20/1.7 and 14-150. I prefer legacy lenses on the EP1 as well. I generally like the "feel" of the EP1, too. Also, for the VF1 and square format shooting.

NEX3: for the 16mm prime + fisheye attachment, and for the 7fps burst, and the tilting LCD.

I'm waiting for new/better lenses on either.

p.s. -- what's the value of the EP1 at this point? Maybe $250? It won't go to zero unless it breaks. It MIGHT lose another $100 over the next couple of years. For me, it's basically so devalued, it's not worth selling. $100 might mean more to someone else, so YMMV.

Hikari

Mu-43 All-Pro
Cameras are an investment in your art and life. They are not a financial investment.

Latest threads

Top Bottom