1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Just bought a Metz 15 MS-1

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by yekimrd, Oct 13, 2012.

1. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    I just hit the buy it now button on eBay. Got it for a good deal. Allegedly new, sealed at 339.99usd. Amazon and B&H had it for 399.99usd. I know I need a 46 to 52mm step up ring (Would any brand do?)

I purchased this because my attempts at macro photography thus far have been disappointing with ambient light. I didn't want to wait around for the Olympus adapter for their ring flash. Besides, the Metz one is supposed to be wireless and can be triggered by the clip-on flash.

Can I get advise from anyone who's used it or knows about macro ring flash settings? The best I can come up with was from some guy online who posted on the DP forum and recommended setting shutter speed to 1/160 and aperture to f/16. Can't say I was happy with his results though.

Any help would be much appreciated. You may have to explain things simply as I've never ever used a flash (not even the clip-on ones) before. Thanks in advance!

2. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Can no one offer any help/guidance? :frown: Thanks!

3. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK
    Had the Metz and used it with the PL45 for a couple of years.

It' pretty good but there are a few things that help to get better results.

1)Buy a converter ring so that the flash could attach to the front of the lens.

2)Particularly with the 45mm which requires the subject to be placed 100mm or so away the flash is too close and not diffuse enough enough. Even at 1/32 and with the diffuser it's too bright.

3)Use the focus assist light to help with focus.

I'm currently clipping paper and diffusers over the front of the flash to get better results and firing the flash form above the subject.

Worth reminding yourself from time to time that this is not a ring flash, just a two point flash with some lateral adjustment.

Lighting from above with the flash diffuser on is still quite harsh. (See below)

[​IMG]

4. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Thanks! #1 - Check. Bought a Kenko 46 to 52mm step up ring. #2 - What was your aperture and shutter speed with the ant shot. Not bad. Some harsh light but not overexposed like some I've seen online. Why not set the flash at 1/62 strength? Is the diffuser really attach flimsily. Would I be better served with an ND filter?. #3 - Very helpful information. Thanks for the heads up.

How do you fire from above the subject? So you don't attach it to the front of the lens then?

The Metz is not a ring flash. It is not a ring flash. (just reminding myself a couple of times) :thiagree:

Thanks again for being very helpful! :smile:

5. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010
    HK
    The diffuser is a bit flimsy, but is ok on the GF1. I have experimented using the black IR panel from a dead remote control as a spare/ less clumsy clip.Seems to be ok.

Not sure if a ND filter will help you but give it a go, I'd be concerned about reflections. I shoot without any filters at all.

The flash can be fired at quite some distance as it takes orders form the built in one. No need for it to be any where near the camera or in direct line of sight.

Lens: 45 mm
    Exposure: Auto exposure, Aperture-priority AE, 1/30 sec, f/11, ISO 200
    For this picture.

The flash would have been set to 1/16, 1/32 or 1/64 to retain some background.

I tend to use the iso to control exposure too when things are not going right. Go to the menus and set the ISO to the finest increments rather than the 100, 200, 400 settings. That helps a lot.

More examples here.. Exif Data should be intact.

Macro Hong Kong - 100porcupines' Photos

The first 13 images are with no flash.

I'm still learning with this stuff too.:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  6. yekimrd

yekimrd Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 14, 2012
    Cincinnati, OH
    Mikey
    Nice macro photo collection over at smugmug. I especially like your other black ant photo and the ladybugs. Thanks! I'll be getting my hands on that flash next week and will start experimenting. I really, really appreciate your pointers.