1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just bought a GF1

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Toonman, May 6, 2011.

1. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    I have just exchanged my recent purchase EPL1 for the GF1 as I could not get the EPL1 set up to my liking (no doubt at all that it is a good camera). Still, I now have a GF1 and it just seems perfect. Controls, feel etc.

So, any tips for a first time GF1 user?

2. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Hi Toonman,

I love my Gf1. My first recommendation would be the acquisition of a panasonic 20mm lens, followed by the (less than stellar) EVF.

The panny 20mm with the GF1 body is a match made in heaven. I can't recall being happier with a body / lens combo than this one.

While the EVF is a little underwhelming, I find it a complete necessity for framing in sunlight. The EVF is NEVER off of the GF1 in my bag.

The instant you get your hands on a 20, you'll recognize what a very special piece of kit you have....

Enjoy!

Alan

• Like Like x 1
  3. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks Alan.
    I've heard some great reports about this lens.

I'll have to start saving some cash then!

4. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    More than agree with the lens, but am I the only one to prefer the minute Sigma VF-21 optical VF to any EVF (including Oly's stellar borders) with this lens?

• Like Like x 2
  5. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    I have just 'Googled' Sigma VF-21 and can only find one for the Sigma DP1 not the 'Panny'. I assume it must work though.

6. The VF21 is an optical viewfinder that will fit into any flash hotshoe. The lens in the DP2 has approx the same angle-of-view as the Panny 20mm so the framelines will match.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    What lens did you get with it - the kit zoom or the 14mm? If you got the kit, I'd put the 14 as high on the list as the 20. The 20's better in low light and does have a pretty nice optical quality to it that's hard to describe, but I almost always prefer the field of view of the 14 and its no slouch optically either. And its faster and quieter to AF. If you got the kit, see what field of view you tend to use most and make a decision on a second lens based on that.

Beyond that, the only next steps are to just shoot away - its a great camera!

-Ray

• Like Like x 1
  8. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks guys.

I got the 14-45 with it. I have read that it's better than the 14-42 but I think that is because of it's metal mount rather than optical quality.

9. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Congratulations on your new camera.

I would pretty much agree with the others. I have not tried an optical viewfinder, but I do use my EVF a lot. I like that it has the same informations that you set up to your taste for the main screen.

I have the 20 and the 14 and enjoy both very much. Personally, I think the 20 is a bit more versatile, but really you cannot go wrong with either - but I would regard them as a must.

My 14 arrived just a few days ago. I am just getting used to it, but to my eye it's wonderfully sharp and it does focus incredibly quickly. You can see some of my first shots here:
    https://www.mu-43.com/f38/goofing-my-new-14-2-5-a-11899/

The GF1 with prime lens of your choice is such a happy combo.

Also, what Ray said - shoot and have fun and get to know what this camera can do.

Finally, if you need help or ideas, this really is the place to visit.

• Like Like x 1
  10. kytra

kytra Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2011
    Congrats on your new toy!

you definitely need a halfcase, it improves much the grip and gives a sexy retro look ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Exactly. The match is good since the DP2 lens has the same horizontal field as our 20 in mu4/3. Ok the frameline is for 3:2 proportions, but this doesn't bother me.

PS: just got a Voigtländer 90mm VF from eBay--same idea for a 45mm in mu4/3. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks Pelao and Kytra

I'll have a look at the halfcase.

The 14 2.5 looks interesting.

13. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    PPS: it appears that Sigma's VF11 viewfinder should do the same for the Pan 14mm pancake, as precisely as the VF21 for the 20mm.

14. Toonman

Toonman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 19, 2010
    Just a thought but........................it seems we would have to carry a lot of dedicated viewfinders around with us. Perhaps the Panasonic dedicated VF will do! :smile:

15. everythingsablur

everythingsablur Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 4, 2010
    Toronto, ON
    I've always liked the advantages of an optical VF for framing ("brighter", can see beyond the framing to anticipate what is coming into frame, etc.), I just don't find them very practical if you've got a wide range of FLs you're trying to cover.

How much beyond the frame is visible within the VF-21?

16. DekHog

DekHog Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 3, 2011
    Scotland
    The price of that VF-21 is..... erm...... 'ridiculous' is the best I can come up without swearing! The Oly VF-2 looks like a positive bargain alongside it....

17. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Toonman,

I had an EP2 for a while and compared to my GF1 found it frustrating from an interface point of view.

A couple of things that I found useful and incredibly easy to do on the GF1. Once you look them up once in the manual, or, more often, just follow the menus and on-screen prompts they become second nature.
    - If you choose a single focus point (which is mostly how I shoot) it's very easy to alter the size on the GF1, and then it stays put as your preference
    - I like having a live histogram. With the GF1 it's easy to decide where this is placed on the screen. Again, it stays put as your preference

• Like Like x 1
  18. Pan Korop

Pan Korop Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 31, 2011
    Phare Ouest
    Budget depends on one's use. For bargain optical VF, you have the old Zorki stuff...

And the price of an E-PL2 with VF-2 may look to some--arumph...--"absurd" compared to the only real bargain in Mu4/3 market today:
    The plain, standard Lumix G1 with its standard hi-res pivoting screen, built-in EVF and kit zoom...

For those interested, the VF-21 shows about 20% more around the brightline. Like with all EVF, of course, you also shoot 15% more (surface-wise) than delimited... :biggrin:

19. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Read up on the threads on fine tuning the JPG engine ... amazing what you can do in-camera and not have to worry about in front of the computer.

• Like Like x 1