Just bought a G5

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by hipertec, Sep 11, 2013.

1. hipertec

hipertec Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    Finally decided to upgrade my G2 with the G5 body $239 deal. Getting it on Thursday.
    Gonna keep my stock lens: 14-42, 20, 45-200 to use on this camera. I'm a beginner so still shooting in jpg format.
    What's the first thing I should do or program on the G5 to get the best pictures? Any suggestions would be great.
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I upgraded to G5 from G2 as well. The G5 Jpegs are soft out of cam, turn down NR -2 and sharpness +2. Other than poor Jpegs the G5 is fantastic.
  3. Bacek

Bacek Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    If you are patient and want to play wit RAW format enable JPG+RAW. I'm doing that because auto white balance sometimes does strange things especially indoors.
  4. hipertec

hipertec Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 8, 2012
    Is it best to start shooting in Raw with the G5?
    If that's the case, suggestions on the settings?

BAXTING Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 5, 2012
    Los Angeles SFV, CA
    Smokin deal for a great camera.

I'd suggest you should RAW+FINE to start with until you get a feel for it.

Using good post processing software like Adobe Lightroom is a must so you'll also want to acquire that if you haven't already.
  6. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
  7. Bacek

Bacek Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    There is no settings for RAW. RAW is just raw. "Quality" options are for camera JPG engine. As someone suggested set it for RAW+fine. If you will not like JPG out of camera you can take RAW and process it by your own.
    Disadvantage is you need much more space on SD card (each picture is doubled in jpg and raw formats).

I planing to buy Lightroom but currently I'm using camera bundled Silkypix (I guess it can also be downloaded from Panasonic or Silkypix web page).
  8. drdtyc

drdtyc Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2013
    One alternative is Corel AfterShot Pro which has been updated this summer to process G5 raw files.

It can be bought for $15 by downloading it from amazon.com. See below:
  9. rob2278

rob2278 Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 4, 2012
    Halesowen - UK
    How do you find Silkypix? I've attempted to use it on a few occasions, just can't get on with it, so now I currently use Faststone.
  10. Bacek

Bacek Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    I'm using Silkypix mostly for AWB correction and cropping. I'm not applying much of the PP. So what can I say, it does the work well, it's cheap (actually free) and handles G5 correctly.