Just beginning to tryout LR4...need help RAW+jpeg

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by oldcarrot, Aug 25, 2012.

1. oldcarrot

oldcarrot Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 29, 2012
    I'm shooting RAW+jpeg. In general, I like the look of the in-camera jpegs.

I don't plan to post-process every shot, but want to retain the ability to in the future. Is there any convenient way to download only RAW to LR4 and jpegs to iPhoto initially?

Then I'd like to see if I can improve on some of the photos I really like in LR4 and import after processing to iPhoto.

I tend to shoot a lot during vacations. Scenery, architecture and some street shots. I'm not as organized as I need to be in deleting, particularly real-time from camera. So I bring home many shall I say, non-keepers.

I like the RAW and jpeg option so I can have reasonably processed shots initially with jpeg. The default LR4 conversion of my RAW photos leaves a lot of work for me to do.

I'm now using OM-D EM-5, backup is EPL-1.

I tried just shooting RAW, but Olympus Viewer just seems too slow for converting all my RAW shots to jpegs.

Suggestions? :confused:

2. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Both Lightroom and iPhoto let you choose which images you import so you can select some images from your card for import into one application and some for import into another application.

I don't think either let you choose which of a RAW+jpeg pair you want to import, I think they both just import both and let you choose which is the master.

You said "The default LR4 conversion of my RAW photos leaves a lot of work for me to do." It needn't. If you can find a set of adjustments in Lightroom that works well for most of your shots you can save it as a preset and have it applied automatically during import which means that all you have to do is fine tune that result for any images you want to tweak a bit more. Even if you don't do that, you can save a fair bit of time in processing if you have a number of similar images you want to process in the same way just by either copying the settings from the first shot you process to subsequent shots individually, or by processing the first one and then syncing those settings to the other, similar shots. Any of those approaches should speed things up somewhat for you.

I think Lightroom also lets you scan images in large size prior to import so you can uncheck the import box for non-keepers before import if you can tell from the preview whether or not you want to keep the shot. I'm positive I've tried doing that at one stage but never got into the habit and I'd have to find the instructions on how to do it again if I wanted to.

Processing RAW shots does take time but it can take a lot less than you think if you get organised. Provided I'm happy with my exposure, my processing usually consists of adding a bit of contrast and clarity, perhaps a bit of a tweak to highlights and shadows for recovery, and maybe a small curves adjustment and some sharpening. For curves I often just use the preset medium contrast adjustment, and I also often just use either the stock preset for sharpening for faces or for landscapes That only takes a few seconds to run through and gets me into the ball park for how I like my shots. I'll sync or copy those settings to similar shots taken at the same time and process everything I import that way. I delete non-keepers along the way. Then, after that or at a later time, I'll go back and spend more time on shots I want to give special treatment to. I don't give individual treatment to every shot when I import.

My big suggestion is that you simply work in Lightroom and find a workflow that works for you. Don't try to get the most out of every shot, and do experiment with the range of processing shortcuts available to you including presets. You can make it as easy and quick, or laborious and time consuming as you like, and you can even vary between those extremes on a day to day basis depending on mood if you choose.

• Like Like x 1
  3. oldcarrot

oldcarrot Mu-43 Rookie

Jun 29, 2012
    Thank you.

I think I just need to dive into the big pool and stop "just getting my feet wet".

4. arch stanton

arch stanton Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    London
    Malc
    I would second this, once I got up to speed using Lightroom it's just as quick as before and I'm much happier with what i can get out in a few clicks.

I tend to use the exposure/contrast sliders with the histogram to try and get it spead out evenly and across as much of the black->white range as I can and then tweak highlight/shadow/white/black depending on the look. But at most it takes a minute to edit an image, often all it'll need is a little vibrance and clarity without any slider tweaking.

Some nice improvements on the basic stuff I'm already doing there David A, thanks!
    Must use presets more, must use presets more, must use presets more...