Just a short trip "around the block"

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
Yesterday I went on a short trip around the area, I've lived in Wellington for 3 years now and I have yet to explore the north side. In the end, I was mostly disappointed, not much interest, lot's of hills and tiny patches of woodland, not much variety of wildlife so I think I will keep my focus on the south side. Still here are some of the images I've made:

WOF00331-Edit.JPG
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

"Standing out" ... a white patch amongst the sea of green of the farmlands that cover most of what the eyes can stretch to.

WOF00334-Edit.JPG

"Morning scout", a very heavy crop of a Robin, for some reason they seem to be more skittish than usual, maybe they don't like Sony cameras? Damn, I miss more telephoto reach than 200mm.

WOF00338-Edit.JPG

The footpath is clear and easy to follow but it's full of friendly encounters as well, more of canine than wildlife type.

WOF00339.JPG

Just playing with a bit of perspective and banality of grass ... in the middle of dirt the green that stands out a bit.

WOF00340.JPG

"Treeception", this is when s&"£ hit the fan ... I really did not expect to find a tree up in a ... well ... tree. I mean I know how loud trains can be but damn that tree must have been scare out of its wits to jump out of its roots and into the arms of another tree.

WOF00350-Edit.JPG

And not soon after I got my face licked off by this adorable "teddy bear", that morning couldn't get any better at that point. (PS. Pupper not mine)

WOF00385-Pano.JPG

It's been quite a while since I've made a panorama, I got so rusty that I forgot to get into the "proper" procedure, I forgot to lock the AE so the sky is a bit blown off, as much as the DR is amazing on Sony a7C the center spot is pure white. Oh yeah, I found this place, that I never knew existed even though I heard about it, it's almost 200 years old, the first canal lifts in Britain, constructed between 1834 and 1836, The Grand Western Canal Lift was designed to lift 8-ton cargo boats at 46 feet in 3 minutes and was operational commercially for 30 years. While not a lot was left of the original construction of 7 that were built in this area this one is still standing the test of time. I will try to explore the area for more perspectives though it's not the easiest of tasks because there's a lot of barbed wire going around ... typical of England.

WOF00402.JPG

The Magpie caught my attention, standing out among the lines of trees.

WOF00403-Edit.JPG

I tried a vertical perspective but it was a nightmare to deal with because of more than a handful of high voltage power lines crossing the sky and the tree line (no, not the ones I left in the background, it was a lot worse than how it looks now).

WOF00406.JPG

As soon as I turn to get off the top of the "bridge" I notice these 2 beautiful butterflies just chilling there, so close together that I couldn't resist not trying to make a picture though I couldn't get closer than this.

WOF00407.JPG

After I reach the bottom I am surprised to find not just a few pounds in the remains of the canal but one of the points seemed to have, from what I could (inexpertly) tell Koi fish, they look quite happy swimming by, all of the ponds are unaccesable.

WOF00409.JPG

Walking through the footpath of the canal, with the pounds on the left side and barbed wire and fences in between them.

WOF00413-Edit.JPG

I was looking for frogs but no dice, I did saw a few water flowers (can't remember what they are called) floating by. The water was full of weeds and greener than Dr. Banner on a bad day.

WOF00419-Edit.JPG

I did notice 2 very large green Dragonflies, they were moving quite a bit, and was difficult to catch them in the shade and the awkward edge of the pond being unstable to stand to close.

WOF00427.JPG

I struggled a lot with this picture, I really wanted to get those two flowers to stand out but the light was very uncooperative, the background was very bright and the foreground was in the shade with the dandelion, a fence was keeping me away from getting in closer so my only option was zoom to 200mm and try f 5.6 to get some separation but it wasn't enough. In post, I tried balancing the exposure between the foreground and background and brighten up the flowers enough to catch the eye. A longer focal length or f 2.8 or even f 2 would have brought my vision closer to what I wanted.

WOF00430.JPG

Very heavy crop with ASP-C crop on top, trying to get large birds of prey in flight is very difficult with only 200mm at disposal, but at least now I know this area has at least 2 large Buzzards hunting there.

WOF00444-Edit.JPG

The high voltage power lines come from Hinkley Point Nuclear Power Station just a few tens of miles away.

WOF00449.JPG

And what's more common the sheepies in the fields of England ... mooo mooooooooos, they looked quite scared and I left before I gave them even more anxiety,

WOF00453-Edit.JPG

Plenty of puppers running around the fields ... fun to play with but can get annoying when trying to scout wildlife.

WOF00465-Edit.JPG

But I just can't help myself from hugging them, if they allow me of course.

*Writing Part 2*

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
WOF00478-Edit.JPG

I'm just a dog person and I love most fluffers, the fluffier and bigger the better.

WOF00486-Edit.JPG

There's still a lot of butterflies for September, I'm not used to seeing these many as I am usually expecting September to cool down too much for them. But this Autumn sure feels like August with scorching heats.

WOF00490.JPG

Coming up to a small "canyon" up at Nynehead, it's quite deep into the rock and cool breeze and shadows coming through, a nice welcome compared to the 28 C in the fields.

WOF00500-Pano.JPG

Probably my favorite picture of the day, a 5 stacked images in landscape orientation to show the tall trees that cover the canyon, with quite deep shadows and small lights leaking through the tree line from the left side. I left the image quite dark in the shadows because I wanted to be accurate on the level of light and the strong contrast, I spent quite a bit of effort in post trying to dodge and burn to get the contrast to be just right and accurate, even at the cost expectations of "what others prefer to be".

WOF00512-Edit.JPG

The light levels can go up and down even with just a few steps difference up or down the road.

WOF00526-Pano.JPG

Probably the 2n favorite of the day, another panorama stitch to increase the FoV, I have tried 3:2, 4:3, and 1:1 aspect ratios but I settled to this one because I love how the road leads from the very edge of the screen to the light at the end and lets the viewer gasp upwards towards the tree as I did when I was there. Spent quite a bit of time here as well with dodging and burning with Adjustment Brush in Lightroom but did pass the picture through Topaz DeNoise AI to cover some of the roughness of high ISO in the shadows.

WOF00530-Edit.JPG

A bike rider pass me by and took the opportunity to add a bit of emotion to the road as he was leaving the canyon. All images were handheld because I wouldn't have time to set up a tripod on a road so narrow there's not much room for more than one car at a time. (And my new tripod has not arrived yet)

WOF00536.JPG

Talk about living on the edge ... quite literally.

WOF00538.JPG

Now here are 5 brothers rooted tightly together and half of the soil, there's a large gap under the tree roots which makes me wonder if the missing dirt came before or after the trees.

WOF00542.JPG

Some of the trees feel like they are defying gravity alltogether.

WOF00543.JPG

Lost in the foliage or forgotten in a pandemic?

WOF00546-Edit.JPG

I lost the opportunity of getting this Peregrine falcon up close as I mistook it with a pigeon as it flew straight towards me at first until I saw the wing flapping speed was a bit slower than how pigeons fly and I instantly regretted it as it flew above me and a tree I was sitting underneath to eat my lunch.

WOF00552-Edit.JPG

I tried to run after it but it was floating up and up and up and up, looking like a tiny speck among the Swallows with occasional twist and turn to give it the shape of a bird of prey. I was wondering if it was trying to jump on a Swallow or trying to steal their food ... but it flew out of sight before I could get my answer.

WOF00559.JPG

Heading home I find this little fellow, curious little 'munkey was too rude to stay and say hello but too polite to not try and steal my food as they usually do in the park.
WOF00568.JPG

I never realize how bit the Tone river actually can get, passing this bridge for the first time, I think I may find a few more pictures with more dramatic light and a better perspective ... and another upper in the area as well :)

WOF00577.JPG

Just a few sticks away from home, I made this picture just to see how the camera handles the very high contrast of the light and fence on the left and the deep shadows from the vegetation covering the top ... color me impressed, didn't even need to resort to Exposure Bracket.

WOF00578.JPG

The last picture of the day, noticed by accident on the other side of the fence an abandoned Dell monitor ... just polluting the vegetation and the area, it could only come from the factory outside of the fence since the place is covered top to bottom by vegetation and chain-linked fence for anyone to throw it away from the foot path.

It was a nice day to have a walk, made about 8 KM in 4 hours with plenty of exploration, a couple of spots where I could investigate the opportunity for wildlife and bird images (when I can get a longer lens). Though with so many dog walkers around it can be difficult. I did find a marshy area just next to a patch of woodland, where I can see the chance for stalking small mammals and birds.

Panolyman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Brian
I'm glad to see you're getting out and about a bit Ovidiu after your recent "upset".
I wasn't aware of that old section of canal and if possible (access wise) I think you'd get some interesting shots there.
The abandoned machinery beneath that ploughing plaque looks worth a deeper investigation too.
And your pupper pics are proper peachy. ;)

However, what really tickled me was the thought of you running after that Peregrine Falcon. :rofl:

L0n3Gr3yW0lf

Wall-Eeeeeeeeeeeeee
Real Name
Ovidiu
I'm glad to see you're getting out and about a bit Ovidiu after your recent "upset".
I wasn't aware of that old section of canal and if possible (access wise) I think you'd get some interesting shots there.
The abandoned machinery beneath that ploughing plaque looks worth a deeper investigation too.
And your pupper pics are proper peachy. ;)

However, what really tickled me was the thought of you running after that Peregrine Falcon. :rofl:
They are not my puppers, just fluffers I encountered along the way.

20210916_111646.jpg

Here's smore information on The Lifts, I heard there's an abandoned workshop behind those large brown wood doors but I need to figure out how to get there, I think there might be some interesting images waiting there (I have an annoying irresistible obsession to get into abandoned, especially if they are off limits, buildings and areas).

I think somewhere in the world the Benny Hill theme was playing while I was running after a falcon flying hundreds of meters above me.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom