1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Just a quick Hi!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by w00cash666, Aug 6, 2012.

1. w00cash666

w00cash666 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Lukasz Glowacki
    Hello everyone!

I have been lurking for quite some time now so decided to join this forum after I bought an e-pl1 14-42 kit last week for peanuts (well, GBP185). I was always interested in photography (mostly street and portrait) but never had enough moneys to buy a proper DSLR. Now with introduction of u4/3 and the prices going down like mad I thought I'd take the plunge. So... here I am.

P.S. Stand by for a ton of questions in near future.

Lukasz

2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Welcome! Glad you are finally "official". Now, go take pictures.

3. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    And return with same!

4. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Welcome - and ask away, this is great place to find answers!

5. w00cash666

w00cash666 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Lukasz Glowacki
    Thanks for all good words!!

I have just a few chances to use the camera but I can see a long road ahead of me. I came from a point&shoot and learning all the functions and how to use them (and to do it fast) will be a challenge.

I have done some macro tests and also went to a concert and tried to get few good shots with kit lens. I will post some of them as soon as I have time to do some PP (and actually go through the ~1000 photos I took)

Also went down to Brick Lane (London) lately to take some "street" photos. I have to say that my biggest issue so far was actually taking photos of people that look strait at me. Kind of scary. But I am determined to face my fears.

Thanks again.

P.S. Please be patient with my English as it is not my first language.

6. btango05

btango05 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 8, 2012
    Lathrop CA
    Your English seems fine to me...whats your first language?

Coming from point and shoot? I remember that feeling when I bought my Canon 50d a few years ago.. I didn't know anything about aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc etc... But thanks to Youtube and forums such as this one you should be fine in a few weeks if not sooner.

Tip of the day: WHen it comes to aperture bigger is smaller and smaller is bigger :biggrin:

7. w00cash666

w00cash666 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Lukasz Glowacki
    My first language is Polish. I came to London few years ago and still don't feel like going back. I guess I settled now.

I have done my share of research but translating it to real life situations is a completely different story.

Thanks for the tip!!

8. mperete

mperete Mu-43 Regular

Jul 11, 2012
    NSW Australia
    Mann
    Hey, welcome to mu43! Enjoy your stay, people are quite nice here :)

I have yet to sum up the courage to take shots of random strangers on the street. I always get the dagger look when people see me holding a camera that's not even pointed at them. I would like to practice that fine art of shooting from the hip that I've seen other people do so effortlessly :)

9. Loksi

Loksi Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2010
    Sydney
    Ross
    Welcome! You're living in a great city for photography (even when there aren't big sporting events taking place!). I spent four years living in London and loved it ... still one of my favourite places to visit even decades later :smile:

Ross

10. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Hello Lukasz,
    The forums here tend to be very congenial with lots of smart, experienced photogs willing to convers and share in a very civil manner. I've found it extraordinarily helpful, with the exception of the occasional bout of GAS it inspires.
    You'll certainly be able to learn here how to get the most out of your PL1.

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Welcome aboard Lukasz. Photography is all about shooting. The more you shoot the better you will become and the more questions you will ask. It is very good that you're already running around with your camera. So shoot away, shoot some more and when you think you're done for the day ... shoot again.

Gary

12. w00cash666

w00cash666 Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 6, 2012
    Lukasz Glowacki
    I thought I will add that I already have a Flickr account and did post some photos I have taken with a P&S and played with in Photoshop there.

Now that I have joined the m43 crowd I did manage to post few shots from a recent concert I went to. All jpegs with no PP.

Enjoy: Flickr: w00cash's Photostream

Please fill free to comment (I need all the advice I can get!!)