Jupiter Question

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
As I was waiting for the Milky Way to rise a couple days ago, I saw that Jupiter was already up, and very bright as it’s in opposition right now. I figured I try something I’ve never done, and slap my 300mm on and see if I could capture some of Jupiter’s moons. I definitely got at least the 4 Galilean moons...but I’ve got two questions for any pros out there -

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

First, am I correct that from inside to outside is : Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto?

Second, there is a faint light between the 3rd and 4th satellite, as well as another about 6 o’clock from Jupiter. Are these just background stars, or did I capture additional moons? Himalia or Amalthea?

Thanks!

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
First, am I correct that from inside to outside is : Io, Europa, Ganymede, and Callisto?

Second, there is a faint light between the 3rd and 4th satellite, as well as another about 6 o’clock from Jupiter. Are these just background stars, or did I capture additional moons? Himalia or Amalthea?

Thanks!
Depends when and what time you took the image -- i cant tell. Checking a Galilean moon position chart you took the image on the 11th? If so you may be right with the order however on the 11th Europa and Ganymede swapped positions over a couple hours. Try taking an image on consecutive days or even later that night, you will see the moons have moved.

At the magnification your using only the four 'Galilean' moons will be visible. Himalia when in opposition (brightest) has a magnitude similar to pluto iirc, that's a different ballgame.

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Use this for future reference, there are others but this one is the most useful for simple observation.

https://skyandtelescope.org/wp-content/plugins/observing-tools/jupiter_moons/jupiter.html
Great resource, thanks for the link! Although that may lead to another question. The exif from my photo shows I took it on the 10th, at 20:20. With a -7 utc, the site does in fact show that E and G have swapped places, however it also shows Io directly over Jupiter. Should I have even been able to see it at all?

And wishful thinking I suppose that I grabbed a 5th or 6th moon...I know with even a medium sized telescope they are capable of being seen, but looks like they're just background stars.

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Mystery solved...the time on my camera is off by 1 hour (no clue why). So at 21:20, it looked like this, and more or less just like my picture.

bredman

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Pete
Mystery solved...the time on my camera is off by 1 hour (no clue why). So at 21:20, it looked like this, and more or less just like my picture.
Cool, you've got them identified. I would have suggested checking your exif, the simulator is spot on.

I have a Jupiter shot to hand, taken Nov 25th 2013 (with the 75-300 @300mm). Putting that date into the simulator i get.. (Ganymede is behind the gas giant).

Mountain_Man_79

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
Cool, you've got them identified. I would have suggested checking your exif, the simulator is spot on.

I have a Jupiter shot to hand, taken Nov 25th 2013 (with the 75-300 @300mm). Putting that date into the simulator i get.. (Ganymede is behind the gas giant).

View attachment 835366

View attachment 835367
Yeah that simulator is pretty cool. Thanks for the link and the info!

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom