Jupiter; one camera, a lot of glass and a single exposure

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by Jason C, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Jason C

Jason C Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2014
    SoCal
    When I got my fist MFT camera, an E-P1, several years back, I started my campaign to get the best possible one frame capture of Jupiter I could muster with the simple gear I have, in an attempt to possibly capture some detail if possible...namely Jupiter's equatorial bands. I got a keeper that first attempt using the E-P1, a Canon EF 70-200/4L, a 2.0x tc and a tripod. I knew I had something after chimping that frame. Here is the result of that first attempt back in 2011:

Original frame, no crop:

View attachment 346848

Big crop and up-rez:

6295855279_87139498a4_b.

Olympus E-P1
    Canon EF 70-200/4 L
    Kenko 2.0x tc
    Fotodiox adapter
    Manfrotto 055XPROB legs
    10 second shutter release

1/200th sec
    f/11
    fl=400mm
    iso 200

So, some time has passed, I've made some new acquisitions and gave my Jupiter campaign another go. Here are the results of my January 2014 attempt:

Original frame, no crop:

12037311975_3c5ac05401_b.

100 pct crop:

12037677205_3390c03498_b.

E-PL5
    Canon FDn 300mm f/4
    2X Canon FD 2.0x tele extenders
    Fotodiox adapter
    Manfrotto 055XPROB legs
    10 second shutter release

1/125th sec
    f/22
    1200mm focal length
    iso 400

Of course, in both instances I acclimatized all gear used for at least one hour, and in post processing I was most cautious in extracting as much possible detail from the file without, well, making it useless.

My methods are simple, and will return simple results. I may attempt "stacking" in the future when I decide to get a decent scope with a good drive, but for now I am pleased with these simple results and surprised I got the detail I did with the setups I used.

More to come when I turn my rig towards Saturn...

Jason

• Like Like x 8
  2. iansmith

iansmith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Nice. You should try stacking, you don't even need a motor drive for it. RegiStax is free and works very well. What you do is take video, and then the software combines the hundreds, or thousands of frames into a single image. You would be amazed at the image quality.

I have an E-P5 but you should have similar settings. I set the video mode to Manual and MJPEG for highest quality, and in addition I use the digital zoom so the video is a 100% sensor crop. Not sure if the E-PL5 has that or not.

Just using my 300mm I got this a few weeks back, in HORRIBLE conditions with tons of light pollution and huge amounts of air turbulence. Total video time for each was maybe 30 seconds.

TjYsHPT.

• Like Like x 3
  3. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Dublin
    Ciaran Reilly
    Cool set of shots nicely put together! Are they all at as-captured scale?

4. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    Sebastian
    I can't believe these are with MFT cameras. Awesome.

5. iansmith

iansmith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    They are all to scale and not resized, but obviously cropped and lined up afterwards. :) Done with the Olympus 75-300.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.