Jupiter; one camera, a lot of glass and a single exposure

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by Jason C, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Jason C

Jason C Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 10, 2014
    When I got my fist MFT camera, an E-P1, several years back, I started my campaign to get the best possible one frame capture of Jupiter I could muster with the simple gear I have, in an attempt to possibly capture some detail if possible...namely Jupiter's equatorial bands. I got a keeper that first attempt using the E-P1, a Canon EF 70-200/4L, a 2.0x tc and a tripod. I knew I had something after chimping that frame. Here is the result of that first attempt back in 2011:

Original frame, no crop:

Big crop and up-rez:

Olympus E-P1
    Canon EF 70-200/4 L
    Kenko 2.0x tc
    Fotodiox adapter
    Manfrotto 055XPROB legs
    10 second shutter release

1/200th sec
    iso 200

So, some time has passed, I've made some new acquisitions and gave my Jupiter campaign another go. Here are the results of my January 2014 attempt:

Original frame, no crop:

100 pct crop:

Canon FDn 300mm f/4
    2X Canon FD 2.0x tele extenders
    Fotodiox adapter
    Manfrotto 055XPROB legs
    10 second shutter release

1/125th sec
    1200mm focal length
    iso 400

Of course, in both instances I acclimatized all gear used for at least one hour, and in post processing I was most cautious in extracting as much possible detail from the file without, well, making it useless.

My methods are simple, and will return simple results. I may attempt "stacking" in the future when I decide to get a decent scope with a good drive, but for now I am pleased with these simple results and surprised I got the detail I did with the setups I used.

More to come when I turn my rig towards Saturn...

• Like Like x 8
  2. iansmith

iansmith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    Nice. You should try stacking, you don't even need a motor drive for it. RegiStax is free and works very well. What you do is take video, and then the software combines the hundreds, or thousands of frames into a single image. You would be amazed at the image quality.

I have an E-P5 but you should have similar settings. I set the video mode to Manual and MJPEG for highest quality, and in addition I use the digital zoom so the video is a 100% sensor crop. Not sure if the E-PL5 has that or not.

Just using my 300mm I got this a few weeks back, in HORRIBLE conditions with tons of light pollution and huge amounts of air turbulence. Total video time for each was maybe 30 seconds.

• Like Like x 3
  3. CiaranCReilly

CiaranCReilly Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 18, 2012
    Ciaran Reilly
    Cool set of shots nicely put together! Are they all at as-captured scale?
  4. sebs_color

sebs_color Mu-43 Regular

Jan 5, 2014
    Virginia Beach, Virginia
    I can't believe these are with MFT cameras. Awesome.
  5. iansmith

iansmith Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2014
    They are all to scale and not resized, but obviously cropped and lined up afterwards. :) Done with the Olympus 75-300.