Jupiter & Galilean Moons

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by Brian Beezley, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

Yesterday the adapter arrived for my new Minolta Rokkor-X 200mm f/4 lens. I played with it during the day and the images looked pretty good. Last night I pointed it at the sky to test it on a star. When I've done this with other telephoto lenses, it has revealed a lot about basic lens quality and infinity focus accuracy. I put my E-PL2 on a tripod, picked out a bright star, and aimed the camera at it. Magnifying the view, I saw a noisier version of the first image (minus the text!). At first I was dismayed because the star was a blob, not a dot, and there appeared to be several internal lens reflections. But suddenly the image triggered a memory and I thought, "Jupiter and its moons!" Galileo discovered four moons when he aimed his primitive telescope at Jupiter in 1610. I took several shots, none informed by good astrophotography practice, and went to my computer. A Sky & Telescope Jupiter moon calculator gave the same image. Europa went behind Jupiter 20 minutes after I took the shot. It is not visible in my photo although it may explain why Jupiter is not quite round. I exposed for 1/4 second at f/4 and ISO 200. I used RawTherapee with its capable defringing and noise reduction algorithms. I used no sharpening. The image is a 100% crop. I annotated it with IrfanView.

I'm stoked that I'm able to capture this image with my little E-PL2 and an eBay lens. Galileo had to draw what he saw.

• Like Like x 11
  2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Wow. That is very cool. Thanks for sharing. :)
  3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Amazing raisins! The light pollution in your neck of the night-time must be quite low if you had a selection of stars to choose from. I live in the centre of Glasgow (ish) and I can see the Moon when the skies are clear - sometimes I can even spot Venus. The downside of living in a valley (Clyde Valley) with a main river running through it is clouds and more clouds. I need to mount an expedition to the nearest hills. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    27 Feb 2012
    From Top Left To Bottom Right they are Callisto, Ganymede, Jupiter, Io, and Europa
    E-PL2 with M.Zuiko 40-150 at 150mm, f/5.6, 1.3 sec, ISO 200
    • Like Like x 3
  5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Try for this one next. 10 Mar 2012
    E-PL2 with Soligor 80-200mm AR Mount at 200mm with 3x Teleconverter, f/4.5, 1/2 sec, ISO 200
    • Like Like x 4
  6. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    I tried this out recently with my PL3, Carl Zeiss 135mm 2.8 + 2x teleconverter.

Photo isn't going to win any awards - but it's very satisfying to capture it - especially as you only have 0.5 seconds before it visibly moves.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmyhoops/12663715565/" title="jupiter by Timmy Hoops, on Flickr">[​IMG]"800" height="600" alt="jupiter"></a>
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    Callisto, Jupiter, Io and Ganymede. Europa is behind Jupiter.
    E-M1 + Nikon 500 F/4 P + Nikon TC-300 2X TC @f11 ISO 3200 1/20s
    • Like Like x 1
  8. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    Fun stuff! I especially enjoy seeing Jupiter and its moons all lined up.

Tracking telescope mounts are expensive, although there are more affordable trackers designed to carry a camera and lens instead of a heavy telescope. Have you thought of building a barn door mount? They are simple and cheap, basically a couple pieces of plywood, a piano hinge, a motor and a threaded rod. They track the sky accurately enough for exposures of tens of seconds, depending on focal length.

I built one following Gary Seronik's design (http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/52) and used it successfully to photograph the annular eclipse and the Venus transit in 2012. Here it is ready for the eclipse, with my E-30 + OM 500mm mirror lens and a solar filter:

• Like Like x 1