Jupiter & Galilean Moons

Discussion in 'Astrophotography' started by Brian Beezley, Feb 8, 2014.

1. Brian Beezley

Brian Beezley Mu-43 All-Pro

jupiter.jpg

sky.gif

Yesterday the adapter arrived for my new Minolta Rokkor-X 200mm f/4 lens. I played with it during the day and the images looked pretty good. Last night I pointed it at the sky to test it on a star. When I've done this with other telephoto lenses, it has revealed a lot about basic lens quality and infinity focus accuracy. I put my E-PL2 on a tripod, picked out a bright star, and aimed the camera at it. Magnifying the view, I saw a noisier version of the first image (minus the text!). At first I was dismayed because the star was a blob, not a dot, and there appeared to be several internal lens reflections. But suddenly the image triggered a memory and I thought, "Jupiter and its moons!" Galileo discovered four moons when he aimed his primitive telescope at Jupiter in 1610. I took several shots, none informed by good astrophotography practice, and went to my computer. A Sky & Telescope Jupiter moon calculator gave the same image. Europa went behind Jupiter 20 minutes after I took the shot. It is not visible in my photo although it may explain why Jupiter is not quite round. I exposed for 1/4 second at f/4 and ISO 200. I used RawTherapee with its capable defringing and noise reduction algorithms. I used no sharpening. The image is a 100% crop. I annotated it with IrfanView.

I'm stoked that I'm able to capture this image with my little E-PL2 and an eBay lens. Galileo had to draw what he saw.

Brian

• Like Like x 12
  2. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    Wow. That is very cool. Thanks for sharing. :)

3. Itchybiscuit

Itchybiscuit Photon Mangler

Dec 10, 2013
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Ivor
    Amazing raisins! The light pollution in your neck of the night-time must be quite low if you had a selection of stars to choose from. I live in the centre of Glasgow (ish) and I can see the Moon when the skies are clear - sometimes I can even spot Venus. The downside of living in a valley (Clyde Valley) with a main river running through it is clouds and more clouds. I need to mount an expedition to the nearest hills. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    27 Feb 2012
    [​IMG]
    From Top Left To Bottom Right they are Callisto, Ganymede, Jupiter, Io, and Europa
    E-PL2 with M.Zuiko 40-150 at 150mm, f/5.6, 1.3 sec, ISO 200

• Like Like x 3
  5. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    Try for this one next. 10 Mar 2012
    [​IMG]
    Saturn
    E-PL2 with Soligor 80-200mm AR Mount at 200mm with 3x Teleconverter, f/4.5, 1/2 sec, ISO 200

• Like Like x 4
  6. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    I tried this out recently with my PL3, Carl Zeiss 135mm 2.8 + 2x teleconverter.

Photo isn't going to win any awards - but it's very satisfying to capture it - especially as you only have 0.5 seconds before it visibly moves.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/timmyhoops/12663715565/" title="jupiter by Timmy Hoops, on Flickr"> 12663715565_98311d1268_c.jpg "800" height="600" alt="jupiter"></a>

• Like Like x 1
  7. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    Callisto, Jupiter, Io and Ganymede. Europa is behind Jupiter.
    E-M1 + Nikon 500 F/4 P + Nikon TC-300 2X TC @f11 ISO 3200 1/20s
    P2180692.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  8. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    Fun stuff! I especially enjoy seeing Jupiter and its moons all lined up.

Tracking telescope mounts are expensive, although there are more affordable trackers designed to carry a camera and lens instead of a heavy telescope. Have you thought of building a barn door mount? They are simple and cheap, basically a couple pieces of plywood, a piano hinge, a motor and a threaded rod. They track the sky accurately enough for exposures of tens of seconds, depending on focal length.

I built one following Gary Seronik's design (http://www.garyseronik.com/?q=node/52) and used it successfully to photograph the annular eclipse and the Venus transit in 2012. Here it is ready for the eclipse, with my E-30 + OM 500mm mirror lens and a solar filter:

120520_0449-L.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.