Jupiter 9 users--riddle me...

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
Okay, for whatever reason, I keep watching for a decent deal on a Jupiter 9. I've watched the guy's video comparing the (basically) five versions. Technically speaking, the Jupiter is inferior to an awful lot of newer 85mm lenses. And...I've got 85mm covered 4 ways to Sunday, and that's not even considering that I have the (IMO spectacular) M.Zuiko 75mm. I'm notoriously not skilled at portraiture. If I had one, I could use it on either M4/3 or Pentax K. All that as a preface, why should I keep watching, at what price would you go for one, and what would/do you use one of these for?

kurtwist

Mu-43 Veteran
I have one from long ago...and it was good. But every other 85 I have is better. Fd 85 1.2 at the top. If I want a vintage look the 85 SMCT is the choice. So, I probably wouldn't bother- except for the Kiev 10/15 mount

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Technically speaking, the Jupiter is inferior to an awful lot of newer 85mm lenses. And...I've got 85mm covered 4 ways to Sunday, and that's not even considering that I have the (IMO spectacular) M.Zuiko 75mm.
All that as a preface, why should I keep watching
Seems like you shouldn't keep watching. Unless your only valid reason to get one is because you want to, as you have already ruled out the practical reasons. :thumbup:

And if you want to see an example of why your 75/1.8 is indeed spectacular, look at this guys photo with that lens...
https://flic.kr/p/Gf2E7t

ektar

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Don
^^^^^
Gawd.

I have one from long ago...and it was good. But every other 85 I have is better. Fd 85 1.2 at the top. If I want a vintage look the 85 SMCT is the choice. So, I probably wouldn't bother- except for the Kiev 10/15 mount
Which is kind of where I've parked for the moment. I'm guessing you mean the SMCT 85/1.8? The A* 85/1.4 is off in the "not gonna spend that much" zone.
Seems like you shouldn't keep watching. Unless your only valid reason to get one is because you want to, as you have already ruled out the practical reasons. :thumbup:
Yeah, the truth's a bear. My other two Soviet lenses keep asking for company...

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom