Jupiter 9 or....?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by jgmankos, May 11, 2014.

1. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    Looking for something in the 85mm range...the Olympus 75mm is out of the budget for now so I need to find something I can adapt. I was looking ad options in different mounts...the Jupiter 9 seems to be the cheapest option I can find in this range. Ive owned a Pentax M 85mm f/2 inr the past and I loved that lens...but those seem to be going at twice what the Jupiter 9 is going for. It seems to get good reviews, before I pull the trigger does anyone have any other suggestions for an 85 in thw sub-$200 range?

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

2. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    So to make sure, you are looking for a 150-170mm FF equivalent? What kind of picture are you after? Super sharp? "character"?

3. tosvus

tosvus Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 4, 2014
    Oh, if you can go a bit longer, I really like my Tamron 90mm SP 2.8 macro. Versatile and quite sharp!

4. Search

Search Mu-43 Regular

Mar 23, 2014
    I take it that the Sigma 60 is not long enough. It is around $240 for the micro four thirds version.

5. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    Yes...thats what I'd be looking for as a long portrait lens.

6. jgmankos

jgmankos Mu-43 Regular

Apr 9, 2012
    Slatington, PA
    John
    Not quite long or fast enough for what I want.

7. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    I picked up an Canon FD 85 f1.8 SSC for a little over $100 two years ago, but it seems pricing has jumped on these lenses so much that I think one would be better off with a new Rokinon 85mm f1.4 for a few more bucks? They are big lenses though.

8. I have a Nikon f2.0/85mm, which I really like for stage shows, bands and other indoor semi-telephoto work. It's pretty fast though not overly sharp wide open. If you can use 2.8 it is much better. I picked it up for only $50 as it needed a good lubrication, but it's all set now and a useful lens. What's really nice about it is that it is only slightly larger than a 50mm prime lens, so it fits on a M43 camera very well. Looks cool, too. GH2-Nikkor.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    I'm using the Konica Hexanon 85mm/1.8 a lot. It makes a good pair to my Hexanon 50mm f/1.4 I love so much, though the 50mm definitely resolves better. xD

konica_hexanon_85mm_1,8_web.

I think the Canon FD and Nikkor 85mm's mentioned above are also excellent choices.

I love my Jupiter lens for its unique character, build, and other factors... but it is not anything like a replacement for modern glass. It is an "art" lens for me. I wouldn't say it's as fast as the spec make it sound either, since shooting wide open on the faster Jupiter lenses will wash it out. Looking under $200, you have many manual lenses to choose from which will be much better... although, I will also have to add much larger as well. The Jupiter series (especially on rangefinder mounts) was extremely compact.

E-P3_web.

10. verbatimium

verbatimium Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 17, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario
    Martin
    Truth be told, try your hardest to save up for a used Oly 75mm, you will not regret it. I did the same thing and have gone through multiple legacy 85mm lenses such as ones from Canon, Nikon, Konica, Jupiter, etc before I got the Oly 75mm. None of the legacy lenses I tried even came remotely close to the output of the Oly. I found the Oly to be sharper at F1.8 than any of the 85mm legacies even when stopped down to their sweet spots, and none of the legacy lenses were very useful wide open (usually needed to be stopped down to about 2.8 to get acceptable results). Also, manually focusing those lenses with such thin depth of field was an absolute pain. I ended up forking out the doe to get the Oly 75mm and have never looked back.

• Like Like x 2
  11. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    I agree with verbatimium. There is nothing wrong with old legacy glass such as the 85mm's from Canon, Nikon, Konica, Jupiter etc. These pieces of wonderful glass can give nice sharp pictures wide open or near wide open. Just not on m43 cameras. What is wrong is our expectations that a sensor that is the equivalent of 60MP should give same pixel level sharp results as on a 12MP sensor (which is roughly what film gives you - at least from what I have read).

To use such glass on m43, wide open or near it, you need to even the scales a little bit so to speak, by adding a focal reducer. Once you do this, legacy glass can equal the native glass, including the Oly 75mm.

Or you can use a camera from Sony (Nex or A7) or Fuji with your legacy glass, and m43 for your AF glass.

12. mu43nik

mu43nik Mu-43 Regular

May 2, 2014
    Wokingham, England
    Nick
    Having a little trouble with this
    Will a focal reducer increase resolution measured at the sensor?

13. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Yes. Google for the 'Metabones Speedbooster white paper'. It will give you all the advantages of the focal reducer, including an increase in the MTF. For a practical demonstration, check this thread out - https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=52603 - specifically the 1st and 7th posts.

• Like Like x 1
  14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Each to their own, but I got out of legacy lenses some time ago. They are often poor optically compared to native lenses, are bigger and heavier (esp with the adapter), lack AF and auto aperture and on top of all that, images will lack lens EXIF data.

If the 75 is really out of range, I'd go for the Sigma 60 oor Oly 60 macro. They are both optically excellent and the FOV won't be significantly wider than an 85. You'll also get sharp results wide open; you'll be stopping those wider legacy lenses down to at least f2.8 to get even near the same sharpness.

15. Cruzan80

Cruzan80 Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 23, 2012
    Denver, Co
    Sean Rastsmith
    Though not under 200, the Minolta 85/1.7 is supposed to give amazing results. I have several pieces of legacy glass that are as sharp or sharper than m43 equivalents, but they usually were not >$50.

Sent from my LG-P769 using Mu-43 mobile app

16. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I have both the Jupiter 9 and the 75 1.8. I bought the jupiter first, then 2 weeks later, I stumbled upon a used (but really new) black 75mm deal that I couldn't pass up. I like the Jupiter 9, but at least with my version, it does not focus to infinity, which somewhat limits my use of it It's a beast of a lens, built like a tank.
    I might be interested in selling if your interested.

17. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    This is more likely a problem with your adapter than your lens, I think (though both are possible).

18. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I thought that was the case too (the adaptor being the issue), but I've tried a few different adaptors, and it's all the same. I thought for sure my helicoid m42 adaptor would fix it...nope.
    It's a zenit M39 mount with a M39 to M42 step up ring on the lens, then the M42 to M4/3 adaptor mounted to it...I've tried a standard M42 and a helicoid m42...neither one goes to infinity. I tried a M39 to M4/3 adaptor, and that was a waste of $5 too. Now if I had a helicoid adaptor for M4/3 that may work.

Anyhow, I don't really use the Jupiter 9 anymore, as the 75 is way superior.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yeah, in that case it's probably a good thing it was the lens and not the adapter, because you have a better native lens now and now in the same range, and you know your adapter will be good for other lenses. ;)

The M39 and M42 screw mounts can still offer you an impressive range of old rangefinder and SLR lenses to play with, from the fun and inexpensive to the beautiful Leica and Voigtlanders. Hold onto those adapters for the future.