1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Jupiter 9 85mm f2 WB/color temperature shift

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by mbbinvt, Jun 11, 2012.

1. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    I just received a Jupiter 9 85mm f2 in the mail and am evaluating whether it is a good example and I should keep it. I've been noticing that if I photograph the same scene at different f stops, the color temperature in the photos shifts dramatically. I'm using an Olympus E-PM1.

I set the camera's WB to Auto and mode to P. Wide open, the images are a bit cool. Once I stop down to about f4.5 (an estimate, as the aperture ring doesn't click at each f stop), the images get into a neutral zone. Then, starting at between f8 and f11, the color goes quite warm (yellowish).

What causes this shift? Is it considered normal and I should live with it, or is something wrong with the lens?

2. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    What's going on here? Is my Jupiter 85mm a good example or not?

Any guesses what's going on with this lens or how it communicates with my camera?
    Thanks in advance for any replies.

3. geoffox23

geoffox23 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 5, 2010
    Brisbane. Australia
    I have an M42 version and it gives similar colour temp. results on a G1 set on auto WB and on A mode. I have not tried my L39 version yet.

4. mbbinvt

mbbinvt Mu-43 Regular

Mar 28, 2012
    Mine is an m39 version. Should have mentioned that and it just gets sort of yellow-y as I close down the aperture.

5. geoffox23

geoffox23 Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 5, 2010
    Brisbane. Australia
    Just now I tried both silver L39 and black M42 versions on my newer G3 on the same settings, and neither lenses show any colour temp change through the aperture range.

Therefore there looks to be some variance in output to JPG between Lumix m4/3 bodies, certainly in my case. (I had retired my black J-9 for use only on M42 film cameras, but will now happily use it on the G3)

Perhaps you should try your lens on another body for a second opinion, too.

6. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    It's a manual lens, and does not communicate at all with the camera. Camera has no way of 'knowing' what the aperture is, and will simply meter accordingly. If you don't want erratic white balance behavior, either shoot RAW and correct in post, and/or set a white balance. As far as the camera is concerned, you're shooting with no lens at all.

I've found that metering on adapted glass isn't as accurate as with lenses that return full focal length and aperture info to the camera. Not quite sure why, but it's certainly noticeable.