Jupiter 8

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
NOT THAT I AM PLANNING ON GETTING ONE...

I noticed that there are M39 LTM and Kiev/Contax mount versions (the latter being a bit less expensive). I have a Helios 103 coming (Kiev/Contax mount) and I was thinking it would be handy to get a Jupiter 8 in the same mount. That way I buy one less adapter. Does anyone know if one is better (better being a subjective term) than the other? Best I can tell from searching is that the LTM versions have a better bokeh and the Jupiter 8M has one less element. Opinions vary greatly from there. I understand that QC isn't a strong suit of FSU lenses but there have to be SOME general trends. Also what's up with the Jupiter 8 with red aperture blades? Finally, any suggestions on a good Kiev/Contax mount? Rainbowimaging where I typically get my adapters says theres only focuses to infinity with lenses over 50mm.

I have to admit these FSU lenses could get addicting.

Thanks in advance.

Hards80

Mu-43 Rookie
the optical design between the ltm and kiev mount are not different.

so that will not make any difference. they were made for a long time, and glass formulas and coatings changed across time and across plants. also i think the later models had a more circular aperture when stop down vs the old models. these, as well as the quality control will have more impact on your image quality versus the mount. so you may have to try a couple of them, but i think the later the make, the better chance to get a good one. (though that does not always hold true)

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
I have a few and prefer the 62. It's sharp enough with medium or better contrast.
It draws light wonderfully. Its not a Cron but it's also a few bucks less.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a few and prefer the 62. It's sharp enough with medium or better contrast.
It draws light wonderfully. Its not a Cron but it's also a few bucks less.

I assume by 62 you mean 1962? How does one tell? Is there a decent "know your FSU lens" resource out there (as in online). A 'Cron is just a fancy dancy high end lens. IMHO opinion the best way to improve my photos is practice. From the samples I have seen so far it looks like the better FSU lenses can produce on a level with the "Crons more often than not. Mind you, I wouldn't say no if someone were to give me a 50mm Summicron (as in free) but I'd rather not shell out the dough for one. I think I'd rather buy a penguin.

Kevin

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
Kevin,
First 2 digits is the year of production.
I mentioned the Cron as it's the closest in design ... But not price.
The J8 performs similar to the early Summitars.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Kevin,
First 2 digits is the year of production.
I mentioned the Cron as it's the closest in design ... But not price.
The J8 performs similar to the early Summitars.

Cool...I'll look for that. Sorry, I didn't mean to get on the soapbox about the Summicrons. It was just having that conversation with someone else and I guess I let it spill over. Sorry about that, it wasn't directed at you or in reply to your last post.

What is the difference performance wise between Summitar and Summicron (as in characteristics)? The J8 you have are LTM or Contax mount and should I be looking at one or the other or simply go for the year?

Thanks

Kevin

greyelm

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Malcolm
Not the best pictures but here's a couple of Jupiter-8

1956 (Silver) Jupiter-8

jupitergrass.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

1973 (Black) jupiter-8

Silverj8.jpg

1942 Leitz Summitar (for comparison)

summitarbokeh2.jpg

Industar-61 (for comparison)

bullrush.jpg

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
1962 Silver J8. I probably could make this sharper/contrastier but I wanted it to look like this.....

This lens is LTM and I've had it since 1970. It was given to me by an Aussie shooter in Nam.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Okay then...

Those are just gorgeous. They aren't the sharpest thing I've ever seen but they have a lovely quality to them. Dare I say it...they look very film like. All right, I'm convinced to join the J8 club. Next up is what flavor? As I understand the optics are the same (basically between the 2 mounts) but the J8M ended up combining two of the elements into one. Is there a reason to get LTM over Contax mount? The Contax mount ones are bit cheaper (and I need a Contax mount adapter to use my Helios 103). Is it better to go to someplace like Fedka or eBay (I'm generally don't like going to eBay)?

Kevin

dee

Mu-43 Rookie
Be very careful buying an adapter - most are for telephoto lenses ONLY .
Kiev lenses have two mounts - outer for 50mm J8 etc and outer for the telephotos .
You can tell the 50mm adapters 'cos they have the helical which you would see ona Kiev or Contax .
A good Helios is stunning , J8s vary in quality and age related problems .
The later J8m has click stops like the Helios and modern lenses .

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Be very careful buying an adapter - most are for telephoto lenses ONLY .
Kiev lenses have two mounts - outer for 50mm J8 etc and outer for the telephotos .
You can tell the 50mm adapters 'cos they have the helical which you would see ona Kiev or Contax .
A good Helios is stunning , J8s vary in quality and age related problems .
The later J8m has click stops like the Helios and modern lenses .

That is what I have been seeing. I buy rainbowimaging adapters for my other lenses but theirs only allows infinity focus (according to them) on lenses over 50mm. I have a Helios 103 coming (in Contax mount) so I need a decent adapter anyway. If I got one then I would just pick up a J8 in the same mount to make it simpler. Any suggestions?

Kevin

Streetshooter

Administrator Emeritus
There's a guy on Ebay from Poland. He's a machinist and makes adapters. He's only on a few times but his adapters are the best. They have 3 set screws in the flange that allows the threads to be adjusted for focus and orientation.
I posted a link somewhere on a thread some time ago.
Shooter

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
There's a guy on Ebay from Poland. He's a machinist and makes adapters. He's only on a few times but his adapters are the best. They have 3 set screws in the flange that allows the threads to be adjusted for focus and orientation.
I posted a link somewhere on a thread some time ago.
Shooter

I think I've seen his stuff...off to Google it.

...his eBay ID is cieclo7

Pinko

New to Mu-43
Here are few of my pictures with Jupiter 8 - these were taken with older one (silver) - I also have later black version. The silver seems better in quality and it is better match (excellent match to be more precise) with my silver E-P1 body.

The lens itself is very small and fairly light compared to the other 50mm lenses - you can easily fit it into pocket as a portrait prime. It is also built like a tank - recently dropped black one from my bag on the flor - it was intacted.

PA038157.jpg

PA038145.jpg

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Those are Terrific!!!

Here are few of my pictures with Jupiter 8 - these were taken with older one (silver) - I also have later black version. The silver seems better in quality and it is better match (excellent match to be more precise) with my silver E-P1 body.

The lens itself is very small and fairly light compared to the other 50mm lenses - you can easily fit it into pocket as a portrait prime. It is also built like a tank - recently dropped black one from my bag on the flor - it was intacted.

PA038157.jpg

PA038145.jpg

Shereenstuff

Mu-43 Rookie
Have you got it mounted yet?

That is what I have been seeing. I buy rainbowimaging adapters for my other lenses but theirs only allows infinity focus (according to them) on lenses over 50mm. I have a Helios 103 coming (in Contax mount) so I need a decent adapter anyway. If I got one then I would just pick up a J8 in the same mount to make it simpler. Any suggestions?

Kevin

Hi Kevin, not to hijack the thread, but I was searching for Helios 103 and saw your post...

I have a Helois 103 and I canabalized the mount from a dead Kiev 4.

I tested shooting with it by sticking the whole mount in a m42 adapter that had removable threads, I poped the threads out and made a foam pad ring to keep the light out, but before mounting it on any adapter permanently, I'm hoping to find an adapter that will let me get the lense a little closer to the CCD, the way I had it mounted for testing basicaly made it into a macro lens. I'll post the test shots I took with it when I get home.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to piece this mess all togther ?

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/shereenstuff/5222372673/" title="PB293265 by shereenstuff, on Flickr">
5222372673_23dc0d595c.jpg
"500" height="375" alt="PB293265" /></a>

Thanks,
Shereen

Shereenstuff

Mu-43 Rookie
More questions

Also, since I'm trying to make my own Contax/Kiev Bayonet mount adapter, are there any other little gems out there that would fit into that mount that I should be keeping my eyes peeled for? (besided the J8)

One more though, I've been looking at the mount on this :

JUPITER-11 4/135mm Lens KIEV/CONTAX Sonnar MINT 1957y - eBay (item 170545958966 end time Dec-26-10 07:34:40 PST)

and although it says it's for the Contax/Kiev Bayonet mount, I can't quite wrap my mind around how it would work... :smile:

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I ended up selling the Helios to a board member that needed it to sell his Kiev with. What I realized is that I could piece together (or buy) and adapter for jut south of $300) or ditch the idea and spend the $300 elsewhere.

I went the elsewhere route and ended up with a Konica 24/2.8. Olympus PEN 40/1.4, Vivitar 70-210 Macro and a Voigtlander Color Skopar 50/2.8 instead.

Hi Kevin, not to hijack the thread, but I was searching for Helios 103 and saw your post...

I have a Helois 103 and I canabalized the mount from a dead Kiev 4.

I tested shooting with it by sticking the whole mount in a m42 adapter that had removable threads, I poped the threads out and made a foam pad ring to keep the light out, but before mounting it on any adapter permanently, I'm hoping to find an adapter that will let me get the lense a little closer to the CCD, the way I had it mounted for testing basicaly made it into a macro lens. I'll post the test shots I took with it when I get home.

Anyone have any thoughts on how to piece this mess all togther ?

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/shereenstuff/5222372673/" title="PB293265 by shereenstuff, on Flickr">
5222372673_23dc0d595c.jpg
"500" height="375" alt="PB293265" /></a>

Thanks,
Shereen

Gwendal

Mu-43 Veteran
Help needed...

So... after much discussion and posting of images here, I decided I'd give a try to all those wonderful Jupiter lenses - and got myself a chrome Jupiter-8 from 1959. The problem is that I simply can't figure what adapter I need to use it ? I'm posting images of the front and bayonet mount, hoping someone here will point me to the right one... The mount was described as "Contax-Kiev type internal bayonet" - Thanks in advance !

C183729.jpg

C183718.jpg

Brian S

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Sounds harsh, but: forget about this one and buy one in Leica Thread Mount. The LTM lens can be used with an inexpensive adapter.

The Contax/Kiev mount lenses require an adapter that will run well over $100. The COntax/Kiev adapters must incorporate a focus helical in it.

Latest threads

Top Bottom