1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Showcase Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Ned, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Here is my 1953 KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5, the Russian copy of the Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1.5:

jupiter-3_web.jpg
    (photo taken with Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD)

Here are some samples from it...

k-days_ferris_wheel_web.jpg
    animal_walk1_web.jpg
    animal_walk2_web.jpg
    [​IMG]
    animal_walk4_web.jpg
    eumig_p8_projector_web.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  2. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looks excellent.

3. gscara

gscara Mu-43 Regular

Jupiter 3 - User experience

Hi Ned

I enjoyed reviewing your images taken with the Jupiter-3. I am thinking of purchasing one of these and wondered if you noticed the focus shift that occurs when you change aperture. From reading reviews on a number of rangefinder forums, I see that users lean into the shot when they stop down, as the focal plane can shift 1-2 inches, from the wide open focusing.

Cheers

4. gscara

gscara Mu-43 Regular

Jupiter 3 arrived

Here are some portraits taken with my 1956 Jupiter-3. I have a Russian friend who volunteered to be my guinea pig. The first two shots were at f1.7 and the last shot was at f2.8

The Russian Tzarina
    P1210661.jpg
    P1210667.jpg
    P1210649.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  5. peterbee

peterbee Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 2, 2011
    Huddersfield, UK
    Peter Bartlett
    Thanks for showing this, Ned. I've not seen one of these Eumig projectors for many years. My late father was a cine enthusiast when I was a youngster and I can remember going with him on a round trip of around 300+ miles to buy one of these (may have been an earlier version), long before the internet and mail-order buying in the UK! Brought back a lot of happy memories.:smile::smile::smile:

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, they are pretty neat things! :) This particular one is my own, and I still haven't figured out what to do with it yet...

Here are some more photos from the Jupiter-3...

cutest_dog_russel_web.jpg
    cutest_dog_russel4_web.jpg

I will probably end up with more J-3 images soon, as I have gotten a second E-PM1 and have decided to pair it up in a really small compact bag with the J-3 for a super lightweight kit. I imagine I'll be carrying this one around with me more often now. ;)

7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    Some nice images, Ned, but nothing that tests the lens at or near its widest aperture.

The results at f/1.5 or f/2 are what most people buy these lenses for. As they are made in the former Soviet Union, sample variation is to be expected, but a good example will provide a delightful rendering when used wide open, or stopped down just a little.

8. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    1951 Jupiter-3 with a rear module from a 1957 J-3. the original rear module had etched glass. "left over parts" from a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar conversion, this J-3 was originally FED/Zorki mount, and is now Contax mount. I will be using it on a Contax II.

Wide-Open at f1.5, on the Olympus EP2.

[​IMG]

Low-Angle, flipped the Finder up for this one.

[​IMG]

Flare-test, sunlight illuminating the front element.

[​IMG]

the original real triplet was not coated, the new one is. Finding a good match required going through a few lenses. I have ~10 J-3 parts lenses.

This J-3 is sharp, even wide-open. This particular lens now has a German glass for the front section, Russian glass for the rear.

[​IMG]

Lens positioned to get the front element out of the sun.

[​IMG]

Focus shift on the J-3, and any lens- is not an issue for mirrorless cameras when you focus with the lens stopped-down to the taking aperture. It is an issue on a rangefinder camera, and on SLR's when focus is done wide-open and the lens stops down for taking the picture.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    mike_storck_web.jpg
    New York Comedian Mike Storck from Baltimore
    ISO400, 1/90s, f/1.5

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    portrait_of_a_basil_web.jpg
    Shot at f/2 and ISO800. I'm always scared to go faster than f/2 on this lens because of contrast loss, but I really like the results from f/2 on. :)

11. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    I took a rather aging Jupiter 3 50mm out onto my patio this afternoon. The glass is nice. The fstop is a little wonky. The focus ring works, but i'm sure it needs a bit of repair as only a small portion of the focus ring actually shifts focus.

Perhaps some more interesting subjects will make me like this lens a bit more.

Taken with E-PL3.

7761842490_814f9e6eaa_c.jpg
    Potted Cactus by staticantics, on Flickr

7761839628_b620dc0a8b_c.jpg
    Pink Bougainvillea by staticantics, on Flickr

7761836280_fd6c7b4253_c.jpg
    Pink Hibiscus by staticantics, on Flickr

12. RnR

RnR Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 25, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Hasse
    Some images from last years Scott Kelby photowalk. E-PM1 with a 1957 Jupiter-3 set at f5.6. OOC jpg's with a slight contrast boost in LR.

PA133237.jpg

PA133239.jpg

PA133276.jpg

PA133279.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Temperatures will dip 20 degrees lower tomorrow. Here I pulled out my Jupiter.3 50mm f1.4 on the OMD E-M5

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/staticantics/11186051044/" title="Jupiter.3 Tree by staticantics, on Flickr">"1024" height="768" alt="Jupiter.3 Tree"></a>

• Like Like x 2