1. Welcome to Mu-43.com—a friendly Micro 4/3 camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Showcase Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Ned, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Here is my 1953 KMZ Jupiter-3 50mm f/1.5, the Russian copy of the Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1.5:

jupiter-3_web.
    (photo taken with Zuiko ED 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD)

Here are some samples from it...

k-days_ferris_wheel_web.
    animal_walk1_web.
    animal_walk2_web.
    animal_walk3_web.
    animal_walk4_web.
    eumig_p8_projector_web.

• Like Like x 3
  2. dbuckle

dbuckle Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Looks excellent.

3. gscara

gscara Mu-43 Regular

Jupiter 3 - User experience

Hi Ned

I enjoyed reviewing your images taken with the Jupiter-3. I am thinking of purchasing one of these and wondered if you noticed the focus shift that occurs when you change aperture. From reading reviews on a number of rangefinder forums, I see that users lean into the shot when they stop down, as the focal plane can shift 1-2 inches, from the wide open focusing.

Cheers

4. gscara

gscara Mu-43 Regular

Jupiter 3 arrived

Here are some portraits taken with my 1956 Jupiter-3. I have a Russian friend who volunteered to be my guinea pig. The first two shots were at f1.7 and the last shot was at f2.8

The Russian Tzarina
    P1210661.
    P1210667.
    P1210649.

• Like Like x 2
  5. peterbee

peterbee Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2011
    Huddersfield, UK
    Peter Bartlett
    Thanks for showing this, Ned. I've not seen one of these Eumig projectors for many years. My late father was a cine enthusiast when I was a youngster and I can remember going with him on a round trip of around 300+ miles to buy one of these (may have been an earlier version), long before the internet and mail-order buying in the UK! Brought back a lot of happy memories.:smile::smile::smile:

6. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, they are pretty neat things! :)  This particular one is my own, and I still haven't figured out what to do with it yet...

Here are some more photos from the Jupiter-3...

cutest_dog_russel_web.
    E-PL2    ---    25mm    f/2.8    1/20s    ISO 3200

cutest_dog_russel4_web.
    E-PL2    ---    25mm    f/2.8    1/20s    ISO 3200

I will probably end up with more J-3 images soon, as I have gotten a second E-PM1 and have decided to pair it up in a really small compact bag with the J-3 for a super lightweight kit. I imagine I'll be carrying this one around with me more often now. ;) 

7. foto2021

foto2021 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 5, 2011
    SE England
    Some nice images, Ned, but nothing that tests the lens at or near its widest aperture.

The results at f/1.5 or f/2 are what most people buy these lenses for. As they are made in the former Soviet Union, sample variation is to be expected, but a good example will provide a delightful rendering when used wide open, or stopped down just a little.

8. Brian S

Brian S Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 11, 2009
    1951 Jupiter-3 with a rear module from a 1957 J-3. the original rear module had etched glass. "left over parts" from a Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar conversion, this J-3 was originally FED/Zorki mount, and is now Contax mount. I will be using it on a Contax II.

Wide-Open at f1.5, on the Olympus EP2.

[​IMG]

Low-Angle, flipped the Finder up for this one.

[​IMG]

Flare-test, sunlight illuminating the front element.

[​IMG]

the original real triplet was not coated, the new one is. Finding a good match required going through a few lenses. I have ~10 J-3 parts lenses.

This J-3 is sharp, even wide-open. This particular lens now has a German glass for the front section, Russian glass for the rear.

[​IMG]

Lens positioned to get the front element out of the sun.

[​IMG]

Focus shift on the J-3, and any lens- is not an issue for mirrorless cameras when you focus with the lens stopped-down to the taking aperture. It is an issue on a rangefinder camera, and on SLR's when focus is done wide-open and the lens stops down for taking the picture.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    mike_storck_web.
    New York Comedian Mike Storck from Baltimore
    ISO400, 1/90s, f/1.5

• Like Like x 2
  10. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    portrait_of_a_basil_web.
    Shot at f/2 and ISO800. I'm always scared to go faster than f/2 on this lens because of contrast loss, but I really like the results from f/2 on. :) 

11. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    I took a rather aging Jupiter 3 50mm out onto my patio this afternoon. The glass is nice. The fstop is a little wonky. The focus ring works, but i'm sure it needs a bit of repair as only a small portion of the focus ring actually shifts focus.

Perhaps some more interesting subjects will make me like this lens a bit more.

Taken with E-PL3.

7761842490_814f9e6eaa_c.
    Potted Cactus by staticantics, on Flickr

7761839628_b620dc0a8b_c.
    Pink Bougainvillea by staticantics, on Flickr

7761836280_fd6c7b4253_c.
    Pink Hibiscus by staticantics, on Flickr

12. whatisinthebag

whatisinthebag Mu-43 Regular

Dec 23, 2011
    Central California
    Chris
    Temperatures will dip 20 degrees lower tomorrow. Here I pulled out my Jupiter.3 50mm f1.4 on the OMD E-M5

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/staticantics/11186051044/" title="Jupiter.3 Tree by staticantics, on Flickr"> View attachment 329092 "1024" height="768" alt="Jupiter.3 Tree"></a>

• Like Like x 2
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.