• 12-40 f/2.8

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • 12-100 f/4

Votes: 8 29.6%

• Total voters

jacobm

Mu-43 Regular
Hi all-

The time has finally come for me to make my order from Olympus and leave DSLRs behind. I'm faced with two choices to make now, which body to get and which lens to get. I shoot a variety of things, but primarily I shoot pictures of structure and wildland fires, car accidents, and the like. I also enjoy doing street photography, landscapes, cars, and macro, but fires are what I live to shoot. I currently use a Canon 7D and a 70-200 f2.8, with a 17-85 for when I need wider shots. Often I will be shooting in low light, but increasingly I've been shooting during the daytime or with decent light at night. For my street photography, it often occurs at night, but our city just put in new LED streetlights downtown which help immensely.

Decision one: Bodies.
I'm trying to decide between the EM5.2 and the EM1.2. I think I will prefer the grip on the EM1.2, as well as the higher framerates and the better autofocus, but it does cost more. Factoring in the grip and battery pack for the EM5 though brings the prices more in line with each other, though, so I'm leaning heavily towards the EM1.2. I also think I will use the High-res mode extensively with macro, product, and studio work with cars. Any thoughts on shooting action, low light, and high-res mode with either camera will be appreciated.

Decision two: Lenses.
I have an extensive wishlist of lenses I want to buy, both native and adapted, but for my first lens I'd like to go with a standard zoom, either the 12-40 f2.8 or the 12-100 f4. I think I would miss the extra stop of light, but the idea of having that much range in a sharp zoom is very tempting. Does anyone have any insight into shooting in low light with the 12-100?

I'd eventually like to get the 40-150 f2.8 as well, but I feel that it might overlap the 12-100 too much for my liking. I'm not averse to changing lenses, but on a fire scene sometimes time doesn't allow for changing lenses. I think I will probably get a second body somewhere down the line and shoot with both, but that might be a project for next year.

Money is not a big concern at this point, but obviously I'd prefer to not spend where I don't need to. I'm not looking into Panasonic options at this time, or used gear yet. I'd also like opinions on Olympus Pro Advantage service, as I anticipate qualifying before the end of the year. Thank you all for the help!

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
If you use anything over 125mm on your Canon frequently, then you'll find the 12-100 short for your needs (125mm on Canon and 100mm on Olympus are 200mm in terms of FF FoV). If that's the case, then you're likely better off going with a 12-40 and 40-150 f/2.8. Not only will you be able to cover the same FoV (in a MUCH smaller and lighter kit), but you get f/2.8 for exposure purposes (although not as much DOF control as f/2.8 on Canon).

As far as camera bodies go, I'd say go with an E-M1 II. The 20MP sensor is a good boost over the 16MP sensor in the E-M5 II. It also has an improved hi-res mode which can be useful when shooting landscapes. It'll simply be a better camera in the long run (plus the ergonomics will be more similar coming from a DSLR).

Used 12-40's and 40-150's are fairly cheap and plentiful. Used E-M1 II's continue to come down in price. I know you said that you're not looking in to used equipment at this time, but that two lens, one body kit would likely run you ~$2,600 used compared to $3,900 if you were to buy everything new from B&H. For $1,300 in savings, you could buy a second used E-M1 II body.

I've bought nearly all of my Olympus equipment either used or refurbished, and not had a single issue outside of the failing rear dial on one of my E-M1's, which was a known issue and repaired at no cost despite being out of warranty. FWIW, I've owned the following Olympus gear (again, with nearly all of it purchased second hand and with no issues):
  • 2 E-M1's
  • 1 E-M5 II
  • 2 E-M1 II's
  • 12-40 PRO
  • 12-100 PRO
  • 45-150 PRO
  • 17 PRO
  • 25 PRO
  • 45 PRO
  • 75/1.8
To put it succinctly, you really shouldn't have any issue with Olympus gear, and if for some reason you do, it can actually be repaired (unlike some other premium m43 lenses)

jacobm

Mu-43 Regular
I think I'm leaning towards an EM1.2 and 12-40 initially, and add the 40-150 later on. I plan to pick up a Viltrox EF-M2 and see how it does with my Tamron 70-200. DoF isn't an issue for me, as when I'm shooting at night I find myself needing more but unable to stop down for exposure purposes, even if I'm shooting under exposed and pulling detail out of the shadows later. I already purchased a Metabones Speedbooster in Canon FD mount for when I want thin depth of field, as I'd like to get a 50 or 85 1.2L. I know there's less expensive reducers out there, but I got a really good deal on this one with a 135mm F2 lens (it was essentially free).

As for buying used, I have no aversion to used gear. However, I currently have access to employee pricing, which in my case essentially writes off all used gear as too expensive and inconvenient versus buying new through work. Thank you for the response!

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
If you have access to employee pricing that puts you close to used prices, then yeah it makes sense to buy new.

I think an E-M1 II and 12-40 is the way to go, with the intention of getting a 40-150 PRO as well. That'll cover exactly what you have with your current Canon kit, but will shed a lot of size and weight. Additionally, the 20MP sensor in the E-M1 II will definitely outperform the one in your 7D, which is an added boost as well.

jacobm

Mu-43 Regular
I'm excited for the jump. I've never actually bought a new camera before, always used gear a generation or more old. I love how wide the 70-200 is on full frame, and I love the reach it gives on a crop sensor, but to have both in one is going to be great. I'll be shooting both systems until I get the 40-150, unless I pick up an auto focus adapter for my 70-200 somewhere before then.

I'm also excited to adapt FD lenses to the camera. I know they're manual focus, but I figure I can learn. Canon made a 400mm 2.8 that can be had affordably these days, that when speed-boosted becomes a hand 560mm F2, with the DoF of an F4 on a full frame, which Canon currently sells for $9000. Add a straight adapter for $20 that gives you 800mm F2.8/F5.6 and you've saved another $13k. I've already played with the 135mm F2 on an EM10.3 and it's impressively sharp for a hand-held lens that's probably 40 years old.

ac12

Mu-43 Legend
I would personally go with the 12-100 f/4, because I am zoomie. And I like the wider range zooms for convenience.
But having had to shoot in low light, FAST glass wins. So 12-40 f/2.8, is my choice for you.

Qwntm

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Edward
The EM1-2 and 12-40 and 40-150mm 2.8 are basically the finest camera/lens combination I've ever used. If you get anything else your missing out on the best of the best. I have an EM5-2 and I like it and it has it's place, but the EM1-2 makes the EM5-2 seem slow, and it's not. That's how fast the EM1-2 is. The 2 lenses are just perfection. The only 10/10 lenses I know of, from any system.

jacobm

Mu-43 Regular
My new EM1.2, 12-40 and 40-150 showed up today. They're definitely smaller than I expected, which is excellent because that's what I was aiming for. I'm very excited to get out and shoot! Next purchase is either going to be the 7-14 PRO or one of the 1.2 PRO primes, I'm not sure yet. Thanks for the extra nudge to push me over the edge guys!

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
My new EM1.2, 12-40 and 40-150 showed up today. They're definitely smaller than I expected, which is excellent because that's what I was aiming for. I'm very excited to get out and shoot! Next purchase is either going to be the 7-14 PRO or one of the 1.2 PRO primes, I'm not sure yet. Thanks for the extra nudge to push me over the edge guys!
The 7-14 Pro is a really nice lens. If you get it, all your lenses will be f2.8 maximum aperture for consistency.
Get the 1.4TC too - it turns your 40-150 into an 8x magnification f4.0 tele (210mm) and doesn't hurt sharpness.

jacobm

Mu-43 Regular
I do plan to add a GM1 or GM5 with the 20mm pancake here sometime soon, but my initial focus is to get my bases covered with as high quality gear as I can afford. A friend of mine has also mentioned selling her EM10.2 so I may purchase that as a backup body/smaller camera.

One thing I was amazed by was the size of the BLH-1 battery. It seems a little bigger than the LP-E6s I'm used to, which was a shock. I guess I'd never seen one in a context that gave it any scale. Has anyone used the Powerextra batteries? 2 for $12 versus 1 for $60 is a pretty good deal, but I don't want to have to have them removed if they swell up in camera, or if they're terribly unreliable.

I do plan to get the 1.4TC at some point as well, but it's not at the top of my priority list. I'm kinda waiting to see if the 150-400 rumors come true, and I'll decide then. I don't do a ton of shooting past 300mm eq. at the moment, though I will at some point. My goal for now is to acquire the Holy Trinity of both zooms and 1.2 primes, and then add from there. I have a Canon FD to M43 Speedbooster and a 135 F/2 for it to play with, so adding vintage lenses to my collection is in the picture as well. All it takes is money I suppose.

I'll be shooting a lot this week, I suspect I'll be sharing in some of the various threads my results.

gwydionjhr

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Joel
Keep in mind there are rumours of an improved high end camera coming from Olympus in January.

jacobm

Mu-43 Regular
gwydionjhr, I am aware of the new Olympus flagship coming out. If it's as big of an improvement on the Mark II as the jump from I to II, I'll likely preorder it (assuming I can afford it. :D)

pellicle, no thought towards any Panasonic gear at the moment (at least new). I work for a camera store, so I have access to better pricing on Olympus gear. I'd have to buy the Panasonic gear at full retail as we don't carry any of their products at the moment. I do like some aspects of the G9, especially the USB power in, but I prefer the Olympus lenses, which I believe focus better on Olympus bodies, and then you get into the whole cross-brand weather sealing argument and for the moment it's just easier to stick with Olympus. I do plan to add a GM1 or GM5 to the stable at some point, as well as a 20mm pancake of some sort. I also love the design of the Olympus cameras and the PRO lens line, which while totally irrelevant to the performance of the camera, makes me feel better about spending so much money.

StephenB, I have noticed the noise difference. It's amazing how quiet it is, even considering I'm using the mechanical shutter. I have a battery grip on my 7D, so coupled with the 70-200 I definitely had an arm ache at the end of an evening of shooting. The EM1.2 is heavier than I expected, but still worlds lighter than the 7D.

Darcy M

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Darcy Michaelchuk
Surprised you didn't consider Lumix G9. I love the whole M43 system. But EM5ii doesn't compare to the EM1ii. Where as Em1ii vs G9 is a more head to head comparison. I love my G9, but it took a 2 full days of shooting both EM1ii and GH5 (G9 was about to be released) for me to side towards G9 ever so slightly (for my taste). Both systems are awesome and I haven't look back at canon. :)

50orsohours

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
gwydionjhr, I am aware of the new Olympus flagship coming out. If it's as big of an improvement on the Mark II as the jump from I to II, I'll likely preorder it (assuming I can afford it. :D)

pellicle, no thought towards any Panasonic gear at the moment (at least new). I work for a camera store, so I have access to better pricing on Olympus gear. I'd have to buy the Panasonic gear at full retail as we don't carry any of their products at the moment. I do like some aspects of the G9, especially the USB power in, but I prefer the Olympus lenses, which I believe focus better on Olympus bodies, and then you get into the whole cross-brand weather sealing argument and for the moment it's just easier to stick with Olympus. I do plan to add a GM1 or GM5 to the stable at some point, as well as a 20mm pancake of some sort. I also love the design of the Olympus cameras and the PRO lens line, which while totally irrelevant to the performance of the camera, makes me feel better about spending so much money.

StephenB, I have noticed the noise difference. It's amazing how quiet it is, even considering I'm using the mechanical shutter. I have a battery grip on my 7D, so coupled with the 70-200 I definitely had an arm ache at the end of an evening of shooting. The EM1.2 is heavier than I expected, but still worlds lighter than the 7D.

Try the electronic shutter. If you are after the sharpest results.

Latest threads

Top Bottom