1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Jumping in

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Pyrate, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Pyrate

Pyrate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2014
    Tired of camcorders but dslr does not interest me. Looking at the G3 or G4
    Considering buying a used G3 to get used to this platform and build my lenses and equipment then moving up to the 4 later

Or do most of you think wait anf get a 4 when I can

2. gprana

gprana Mu-43 Regular

Feb 3, 2014
    IMHO if the G3 already satisfies a lot of your requirements, probably better to buy a used G3 and start shooting as much as possible. After a while, the accumulated experience with G3 will help you find your personal shooting preference and guide your future purchases :smile:

3. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    How far do you eventually want to go? How big is your budget? And are you wanting to shoot videos only? If the latter is yes, then give some consideration to the BMPCC that is currently half off. And are you referring to the GH3 and GH4? There is a big difference between the G3 and the GH3.

--Ken

4. Pyrate

Pyrate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2014
    Oh I am sorry looking at the gh3 and gh4 and video will be the main use, but stills also. The bmpcc looks great at the sale price but it sounds like I would have to add so many addons that I would be at G4 prices rigging out a bmpcc

5. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    True. Another affordable option is the GX7. This would make an excellent companion to a GH3/4 when funds permit.

Good luck,

--Ken

6. Pyrate

Pyrate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2014
    Found a used gh3 for 749.00 I know this is a worn out question, but is there a recomendation for a general purpose lens

7. Replytoken

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    If you do not need a fast lens, a lot of folks like the 14-140 for its large range. If you do like fast glass the 25 f/1.4 is worth consideration. It mostly depends on your focal length preference. The 14-45 is also a nice option for a more affordable lens.

--Ken

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pyrate

Pyrate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2014
    Thanks Ken

• Like Like x 1
  9. sigamy

sigamy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 4, 2012
    I'm not sure what you mean by not being interested in DSLR while still considering the GH3 and GH4. These will be similar to any DSLR when looking at the differences of shooting compared to camcorders.

Read up on the differences between shooting video with the camcorder and a DSLR. Camcorders still have their uses-mainly sports and run and gun event shooting.

GH3 and DSLR are great when you can control lighting and set up your shots.

10. arson519

arson519 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2013
    Canada
    are you after 1080 or 4k? forget about bmpcc and those insane file sizes and you would have to color grade every video you make

id get the gh4

11. Pyrate

Pyrate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2014
    I have shot with camcorders and my lady has a T3I that I have fiddled with. Not sure on the lingo, but thought mirrorless was not the same as a traditional dslr, want to take the next step
    I shoot most of my video under water with a Gopro. I know gasp. On land I need something that shoots more realistic video.
    I do a lot of editing and color grading can be fun. Really want the gh4, but wanted to wade in
    Never shot 4k but 2.7 in my little gopro with a red filter is grat

12. BLT

BLT Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    London
    James
    2 Big differences are . . . that a Mirrorless camera like the GH# will be able to use the EVF for video shooting (DSLRs can not do this). And they can adapt to much more legacy glass.

To The OP. . . . If cost is a factor then I have heard many times over that the Panasonic G6 is a great video camera (better than GX7 both in frame rate options, Mic input and possibly more)

Regarding a general purpose lens . . . . . I would suggest the latest 14-42mm Kit lens from panasonic. It is small, cheap, silent, fast focusing, stabilised and pretty sharp. In terms of faster glass . . . . . consider the Panasonic 12-35mm for a great all round lens (but expensive) In the prime area this obviously depends on your Focal length preference, but I would be looking at something like the Olympus 17mm f1.8.

Best of luck.

13. Pyrate

Pyrate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2014
    Well I pulled the trigger on a Gh3 refurbished for 725.00
    now I have a lens decision
    looks like a good choice for an all purpose learning lens
    Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 ASPH/MEGA O.I.S.
    thoughts?

14. madmaxmedia

madmaxmedia Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 20, 2010
    That's a great way to get started, that or the newer Panasonic 14-42mm II f/3.5-5.6 would be fine. Don't get the first version of the 14-42mm, the zoom ring is stiff and you end up jerking the camera when you zoom during video.

I would also start with some sort of cheap older manual focus lens with adapter, if you want to shoot with low light or shallower depth of field. That's a great way to start on a budget, if you don't want to spring for a Micro 4/3 prime lens.

15. Pyrate

Pyrate Mu-43 Regular

Aug 1, 2014
    Telling old from new is tough