1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Jumping from Sony A200 into the m43 world

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by eljay, Jul 8, 2013.

1. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Well, I decided to make the jump from my Sony A200 kit to m43. I haven't bought any gear yet, but I am actively looking for deals to get me started.
    I'm hoping to keep my entry costs low with used gear and hoping I can squeeze a GX1 + 20mm F1.7 with my budget to try this out and hopefully progress to OM-D in the future.

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    That would be an excellent start. There are some ridiculous deals on the GX1 at the moment. If you can get the kit lens with the camera it's actually a decent peice of glass for a kit lens. The 20 is a gem optically but a tad slow/noisy focus wise. With good technique the step to an E-M5 is a smallish one. The GX1 makes great files.

Gordon

3. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Eljay, welcome to the forum!

Regards,

Jim

4. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    If you've got a tight budget as you say, then the GX1 & Lumix 20mm makes an excellent combination! :smile:

5. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Thank you for the welcome and feedback on what to get.
    I've tried handling various m43 bodies and the Pen series feels too small in my hands. OM-D was great and with the optional grip would be awesome.
    GX1 is a good compromise, I find. I will miss a viewfinder though, so perhaps I can find a good deal on LVF2, but that is pushing the price of the whole kit up, so I'll start with GX1 and 20mm and see how that feels. I do have my eye on one such kit (GX1+20mm+LVF2), so let's see what I'll end up getting. I'll post back once I have my gear. Can't wait.

6. Iansky

Iansky Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 26, 2009
    The Cotswolds, UK
    Welcome Eljay,

The GX1 is a superb camera and a very worthy entrance to the world of Mu43, I understand they have resolved the issues that were experienced in the original 14-42X lens and the new one is good (I had the original that came with my GX1 and within a week let it go back as it was soft and did not perform as it should).

The 20mm is again a superb and small lens that makes the GX1+20 a small combo that can deliver sterling results, you however have to decide whether you will be happy with 1 focal length or wish for the flexibility of the zoom - there is a Mk2 version of the 20mm so you should be able to pick up an original in very good condition for a fair price.

I have made the move from the GX1 to the OMD and find it a very worthwhile one for what I shoot, either way, great first choice and welcome to the forum.

7. eljay

eljay Mu-43 Regular

Jul 8, 2013
    Well, I have now acquired the following gear:
    Olympus E-P1 with 20mm F1.7 lens
    GX1 with 14-42mm PZ lens

I will be selling the EP1 and hoping that I can essentially trade it for an LVF2.

I have started another thread in the Panasonic forum, so I'll continue my m43 quest and questions there and your input is most welcome.

Thank you!

8. madogvelkor

madogvelkor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 22, 2013
    Connecticut
    If you want to get a new flash to replace the Sony, the Panasonic DMW-FL360 should be good. A bit less powerful. The DMW-FL500 would be a bit more powerful, but also more expensive.