Jumped Ship!

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by snkenai, Nov 25, 2011.

1. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    Had to try something eles for a while. First, I traded my G1 to my daughter for a E-520. Sold that and bought a E-420. Like it, but still not what I was looking for. Bought a Pentax K20d. I think it is a keeper?
    But I'm not through with m4/3. Just need to recover from CBA for a little while. Then...:smile:

2. CarlB

CarlB Mu-43 Veteran

Do keep us posted on your K20d findings ...

I have a Sony A55 SLT that I bought to use the world's only auto-focus mirror telephoto lens. But I seldom use it, regardless of how great a camera it is. And it is a great camera. I just don't bond with it as an instrument.

Personally, I just grew so tired of the traditional DSLR look and feel. I immediately detract 40% from a camera's "personal score" for that. But not everyone has that instant aversion. So, if the K20d "is all that and a bag of chips" do write, heh.

3. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The K20D is a fine camera. Nothing wrong with that decision at all. The puzzling part of your journey to me, was going from the mid-sized E-520 then slimming down to the E-420, then going up to the larger, heavier K20D, lol.

If you like the K20D though, you should also look at the Olympus E-3 and E-5. Wonderful tank-built, weather-sealed cameras with excellent viewfinder quality and external controls, which will take any lenses you may have left over from your Olympus E-System cameras.

4. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    It's interesting that you've settled - at least for now - on a Pentax DSLR. I am a long-time Pentaxian and I have maintained for a while that, as a group, more Pentax DSLR owners also own and use mirrorless interchangable lens cameras (and, of those, mostly micro four thirds) than owners of other brands of DSLRs. You've just gone in the other direction. I say whatever works for you. There are plenty of K-20s out there and the camera has hundreds of thousands of fans. I'm sure you'll do fine with it.

5. snkenai

Sep 5, 2010
    I actually have wanted to try the K10-20 cameras since I have known about them, but could never seem to be able to afford one. But prices have come down a lot. I have two different photography paths I try to travel. Sometimes portrait/events, but mostly landscape/nature. I have been occasionally been buying and selling mainly old camera gear, trying to gradually upgrade my arsenal. Being disabled, there isn't much extra income for hobbies. This way, I have little by little built up the "toys".

After only 2 or 3 days with the K20 and a Pentax Tac 55mm f 2.0 m42, I like what I am seeing for portrait work, not so much for events. Would be great with proper AF lens. So for now the E-420 and 25mm pancake helps fill in.

For landscape/nature (including macro) I favor m4/3.

In time maybe I'll be able to have both. But as God asked Moses, "What is that in thime hand?" Guess what I have in my hand? K20 and E420. So onward!

6. Out of the Olympus 5xx and 4xx camera bodies I reckon the 410 and the 510 are the best for output if not operation, however even the improved live-view in the "twenties" is totally clunky compared to m4/3.

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    I think E-400 is one of the best DSLRs ever in terms of image quality at lower ISOs (say, 100-400). I just happen to like color and dynamic range of Kodak sensors better than those of Panasonic sensors. E-410/510 and E-420/520 have better high ISO performance but at the expense of color and dynamic range.

8. Was the E-400 sold in Europe only? I thought I had read that somewhere before. The 420 and the 520 also got lumped with the heavier AA filter.

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    You are far from alone in your opinion of Kodak sensors. There's a reason why Leica uses them. Also, consider this post from Kirk Tuck's Visual Science Lab blog. I call your attention to the last few paragraphs:

The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck: Paean to an ancient camera. Kodak, please come back to us.

What a pity that it appears Kodak is not long for this world.

10. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I shot about 30,000 images on a K20D and absolutely loved it - it was my first 'proper' camera and remains a firm favourite. The build quality is terrific (not far off the E-3/5), weathersealing is great, ergonomics and the user interface are the best I've ever used, and the files are beautiful as long as you keep it below 800iso.

Now that there's affordable weather-sealed zooms (DA 18-55 WR, DA 55-200 WR and DA 18-135 WR, plus the more expensive DA* line) it's probably the best value 'outdoors' system around :smile:

3885766053_cd1638b52b_z.

3202988780_d60de158bc_z.

3623859371_8f07043f7b_z.

3271433602_3acbc4679c_z.

• Like Like x 2
  11. It makes you wonder: how many other cameras might this be true of, that low ISO performance is compromised at the altar of four digit ISO performance?

12. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    I started with a Pentax Spotmatic in High School in 1964..They were great then.. but now I would not buy a Pentax for all the Tea in China.. LOL.. they are so far behind, they think they are first! kinda like the horse in last place all by its self.. just my two cents..

13. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    You have obviously not used a K-5 or FA/DA Limited lens :wink:

14. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    And, conversely, how many cameras are overlooked because of mediocre or subpar high ISO performance... even though they deliver stellar images at low ISOs ( which can't be said of many cameras)? The Pentax K200D is just such a camera. Fabulous image quality below ISO 800 - not topped by many of the very latest cameras.

15. MrDoug

MrDoug Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2011
    Boise, Idaho
    You can't sell me on that one.. Pentax is not for me.. but you may have a point.. It kinda reminds me of a old Nash Rambler, Edsel or Simca if you remember those.. .. just joking..

16. avidone

avidone Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 24, 2011
    Rome, Italy
    I just realized very recently that I bought my E-PL1 earlier this year for a very similar set of reasons that I bought my Pentax MX 30 years ago

17. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    The Pentax K-5 has relegated my GH2 to primarily video duty.

I suggest you find someone with a K-5 and give it a whirl. It's a seriously fine thing, and you may have to start drinking tea...lots of it.

18. snkenai

Sep 5, 2010
    K20 Images

Nick, thanks for posting these. Some beautiful work here. Don't expect to match or surpass these, just because I got a K20. But gives encouragement to try harder!:2thumbs:

19. John M Flores

John M Flores Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 7, 2011
    Somerville, NJ
    Yes, great photos. K20d is a great camera as long as things aren't moving. Enjoy it!

20. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    This is true. If one is still working with traditional DSLRs, the K-5 is a game changer. It is that good. Now, if you are a professional and make your money shooting sports full time, then get yourself a Canon 5D. Otherwise, the K-5 has you covered.