Julian & Anza Borrego in 1.5 days?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by barry13, Mar 30, 2016.

1. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California

Early in May, I'm planning on driving from downtown San Diego on a Saturday morning, visiting the San Diego Zoo Safari Park, and then going to Julian and staying in the area.

Then we'll go to Anza Borrego SP Sunday morning, drive around, and head back home (2-3 hours) in the mid-afternoon.

1. any recommendations for lodging in Julian? Clean and quiet are our primary concerns.

2. would we have time to drive around the Anza Borrego area Sat. evening if we get to Julian by 3pm? Or should we just hang out in Julian?
    Besides panning for gold and apple pie, is there anything else interesting in Julian? (decades since I've been there, don't remember much)

3. any recommendations for sights in Anza Borrego? It's been decades since I've been there as well, and most of what I remember was accessed by dirt roads which we will not partake in this time. I do remember NOT seeing any bighorn.

I'm not into getting up at 4AM to try to catch the sunrise, but short hikes are nice if it's not 120F.

2. kingduct

kingduct Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2013
    I don't think it'll be 120F in early May. Haven't been to either Julian or Anza Borrego in years, and I never spent much time in Julian at all. However, I have been to Anza Borrego many times and trying to visit it in a few hours seems like you'd be short-changing it. Stunning desert with a beautiful palm oasis and hot springs, if you are into hot springs.
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  3. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    There are only a couple of hotels/motels right in Julian like Julian Pines .
    Tucker Peak Lodge, Eagle Peak Road, Julian, CA 1-855-201-7819 is just down the road in an area known as Pine Hills. A friend of mine lives about 1/2 mile away, great area.
    Closer to Wynola than Julian (5 min drive) is a place called Apple Tree Inn - typical roadside motel. The really good places book early. Romana, which would be on your way offers more commercial type hotels.

Hotels and Inns in Julian, CA

Julian has a lot of smaller shops, little town atmosphere. It has not grown so in most regards should mot be significantly from when you were there in the past - except for the number of tourist on the weekends!!!

You would have time to drive around Anza Borrego if you got to Julian at 3. But the visitor closes at 5. Personally I'd relax and enjoy Julian then head out in the morning. Try the Rong Branch for breakfast.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  4. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    New idea... skip the Safari Park and go to Borrego Springs via Julian on Saturday... stop for lunch and walk around in Julian, and that should give us several hours in Anza Borrego SP on Sat, plus Sunday.