Juggling Gear For Hand Held Shot

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have been taking a series of shots of Net Caster Spiders lately but had not been able to get a good shot of the net with their prey.
Typically I just get something like this, but I wanted a net shot.
PC250220-02.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

The other day I noticed one of the spiders I saw the night before left its net behind beside the cat run, and as a bonus had a capture in it. Problem was there was a breeze. I asked the other half to help out holding some umbrellas to help cutout some of the breeze. Seemed uninterested so I had to go it alone.
I put a black card behind it and grabbed two bunnings umbrellas.
The other half thought it was the silliest thing she had seen in the garden in a long time and took a series of shots to show the daughter. While she was at it I asked for a semi close up using her phone
Left hand to hold two umbrellas braced against the pillar and the right hand holding the camera unbraced, and waited for the breeze to blow steady and hold the net as still as possible
IMG_3350.JPG

IMG_3351.JPG

I tried with two cameras
EM1.2 & Oly 60mm
G85 with 14-140 & NISI 58mm close up filter
I thinks the G85 took the best shot, but that may have been because the breeze was less at the time
the net was about 20mm square
P1270879-01.jpeg

I tried a few other ways to cut the breeze down before the two umbrellas.
Took nearly an hour to get a mediocre shot, but the best isolation of a net so far.

Why did I post this, dont really know :hmmm:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I actually liked the first shot much better. The second shot is nice, but clearly is mostly relevant when linked with the first shot. I don't think the second shot is nearly as interesting if it has been presented as a stand alone losing the story/reference.

That first shot is a great refence to just how amazing nature is at adapting, evolving, and filling in all kinds of niches, even when it is something small like a little spider.

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The first shot was only for reference in case people did not know what a net caster was.
I suppose the point of the thread was not the spider or net, but to show some of the problems one has to overcome getting a photo you want.

I am trying to gather a full set of images of netcaster, their nets egg sacks etc as a personal project. I am gradually getting a set of images together. But like most of my projects the end result will never be shown because I do them mainly for the enjoyment of the process. Just like holiday photos, that i no longer do anything with.

doady

Mu-43 Veteran
The symmetry and minimalism of the fourth shot is very mysterious. Isolating something and evoking the viewer's imagination at the same time, I really like it.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
An hour is pretty good.
It can take years...
Backlit spider web is something I’ve had a crack at lately. We have a spider here that builds a thick web nest in the tops of grasses. Hundreds of baby spiders inside! I waited until the sun was low in the sky and got some backlit shots which were pretty mediocre too. But I could see the potential...

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
The symmetry and minimalism of the fourth shot is very mysterious. Isolating something and evoking the viewer's imagination at the same time, I really like it.
I find isolating a subject in situ is often very hard. I have had oportunities to take spiders etc inside to have a better chance of getting the shots you see some others take, but I get all mine where they choose to be, which is mainly deep in the garden bed for their own protection. This often means holding plants aside with one hand with a light and holding the camera with the other hand.

We often see photos of the gearnpeople use, but not how they do use it. Hense this thread where I thought I would show what hand held can mean.

I am fairly new to this close up stuff and still trying to work out how to get the shots I want. But i suppose is the main reason for taking the shots. If all i got were winners every time it would be boring and i would try something else
An hour is pretty good.
It can take years...
Backlit spider web is something I’ve had a crack at lately. We have a spider here that builds a thick web nest in the tops of grasses. Hundreds of baby spiders inside! I waited until the sun was low in the sky and got some backlit shots which were pretty mediocre too. But I could see the potential...
I have also tried some backlit webs with mixed results. I think I need to work on my post processing to do any good with them to get them to stand out.

Often wondered if we need a spider web thread where the focus is more on the web than spider. I have seen some very good webs when in the tropics compared to where i live

Real Name
Richard
Great shots and a nice story.
I can't understand why other halves aren't more supportive of us Togs. Would they rather we went fishing or playing golf or something?

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Great shots and a nice story.
I can't understand why other halves aren't more supportive of us Togs. Would they rather we went fishing or playing golf or something?
I think they dont understand what can be perceived as obsessive hobbies, and in my case the time i put into it and the results i get. :)
At least i can ask the wife, would not dare to ask the daughter

retiredfromlife

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I like that she couldn't be arsed helping hold something but stood there taking photos of him... :hmmm:
But the photos showed here were the ones i asked for. The others were taken further back so probably it was a win for me in the end since i got some photos of my efforts
I think she was more interested in getting the photos, and as a photographer i have to have some emphathy there.

Normaly i get help unless i ask her to get too close to spiders or take too long

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom