JPG workflow

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by twalker294, Oct 26, 2010.

1. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    A few weeks ago my iMac died and I don't have the cash to buy a new computer right now so I'm in the process of trying to establish a workflow on my Windows XP laptop. I'm using GIMP for image processing (my copy of PS CS4 is for the Mac,) which is working fine. However my issue is with the problem of culling images after shooting a batch in order to separate the wheat from the chaff.

On my Mac, I would use Lightroom to mark the keepers then copy them to a destination directory and edit them. Of course my Lightroom is for the Mac also :-(

I have been using Olympus Viewer 2 for a week or so and I like it but I don't like that any edits you make overwrite the original files with no opportunity to tell it save a copy. If you have made edits then move to the next pic in the batch, it asks if you want to save the changes and if you say yes it overwrites the original file.

Also, I can use it to mark my keepers using the color label system but once I've done that there is no functionality to copy those selected files to another directory where I can then do my edits.

I hope this makes sense. What I am really looking for is some software that will just let me go through the batch, pick out the keepers, then copy those to another directory. I have Pixort which does exactly what I need but for some reason on my laptop it just hangs when I run it so I am looking for an alternative.

Thanks
    Todd

2. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    OV2 isn't the greatest, but if you use Save As you can avoid overwriting the original; you can get at this by either Alt-F(ile)/Save As ... or clicking the "floppy disk" icon on the ribbon

3. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    Check out FastStone Image viewer. It will view both JPEGs and RAW and has a very sensible approach to filing and if you like, renaming your images. It is Free! They do ask for contributions if you end up liking it. Also there is a free download tutorial. I really like it and it is what I am using. Elements 8 organizer was terrible, I thought, as I don't like tying my images to any program at all. With FastStone you keep things where you want them. It is basically a browser but with the ability to do some editing. You can quickly go through all you images, looking at them full screen if you want, deleate the ones you hate, jump to your favorite image editor from within FastStone, and have access to all the image data - even the histogram - for each image just by moving the cursor near the right edge of the full size image. There is nothing odd or cumbersome about it, to my mind.

4. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Sounds like just what I'm looking for. Off to download it now -- thanks so much!

5. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    You can contact Adobe and transfer your licenses to the other platform.

ALSO - I installed LR with the same disk on both Win and Mac (and it worked fine, but don't tell Adobe). Not sure about CS.