jpeg workflow - eye-fi/photosmith/LR

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
I have only fairly recently started using RAW and Lightroom. Like a lot of people I also have an ipad that I use with my photos.

OMD eye-fi card - ipad 1 photosmith 2 app - PC Lightroom 4.1

The eye-fi card dumps jpegs wirelessly into the camera roll of my ipad either through my home network or through 'direct' mode in the field. RAW files I import to my PC direct from a card reader.

The photosmith App looks like LR but is limited to sorting - flags, colors, stars and adding metadata. The neat thing about the App is that it syncs the information with LR (through a plug-in) to all your RAW files. (Flags only sync with LR 4.1 and are simply added to the metadata field in 3.6.)

Well that's the good news. Be warned though it is a bugger to configure. You need to follow the instructions on photosmith very carefully (no **** Shirlock), you need to turnoff eye-fi helper and eye-fi's ipad app. You need to install and set up the LR photosmith plug-in before you use the app.

The App itself does have its own limitations. You cannot delete photos - cos they are in the camera roll and Apple doesnt let you (unless you go to the camera roll.

Gwendal

Mu-43 Veteran
Interesting - but does the geotagging data stay in the process up until LR ? And why not having the eye-fi card send the photos directly to a Watched Folder, without the Photosmith step ?

robbie36

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
rob collins
Interesting - but does the geotagging data stay in the process up until LR ? And why not having the eye-fi card send the photos directly to a Watched Folder, without the Photosmith step ?

Well I dont happen to use the geotagging on the eye-fi card but I would assume that it adds geotagging data to both jpeg and RAW (I am shooting jpeg + RAW) so that it will be on the RAW.

The purpose of the photosmith 2 app is to sort the jpegs as you would sort in LR. Flag and reject, color and/or star all of them on the ipad. You can review each jpeg in full screen mode on your ipad to decide if you wish to keep the photo or reject it before editing. You then sync with LR and all your RAW files are marked as you you have sorted them as jpegs. All the rejected RAW files can then be selected and deleted without having to review than in LR.

Latest threads

Top Bottom