JPEG sharp, Raw blurry/corrupted??

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Slip, May 8, 2016.

1. Slip

Slip Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN (USA)
    Dan
    I've been shooting my EM5ii in Raw + JPEG for a while and have never had any issues, however on a recent trip I had a series of two photos (the rest on the card are fine) where the JPEG is sharp, however I can only see the embedded preview of the Raw file (the super low-res one) - I can't get either LR6 or OV3 to open the RAW file correctly.

Has anyone ever had this happen (e.g. a series of photos appear "corrupted" and the ones before and after (on the same SD card) are fine)??

Would appreciate any insights from the MU43 crew, as I'd love to be able to edit in Raw (someone else took the photo for me and hit the exposure comp overexposing so I'd like to recover what highlights I can).

2. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Can you try opening it directly from the memory card? Sometimes the corruption happens on the way from card to hard drive.

3. PakkyT

PakkyT Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 20, 2015
    New England
    And also can you open them with Olympus Viewer?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Put a lot of miles on my M10 in the last 18 months and haven't had that problem. In fact, I don't think any digital camera I've owned has ever presented a corrupted file. Wonder if it's the Write process in camera or the Read/Write process in the card. I think I'd be looking for a new card right away anyhow. Are you removing the card to access files or using the USB cable? I've heard of folks having issues with the card after unplugging/plugging a number of times. Hope someone gets a fix for you.

5. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    I have the same camera and never had such an event with it. I have had corrupted files with another camera, but that was a bad card, and it was not just a couple of files in the middle of a sequence.

6. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    yes, I have had that.

The RAW file always contains an embedded JPG so that the camera can display a preview. That you can suck out the preview shows that part of the file is intact. Corruption only needs to be a few bits and the demosaic can fail.

FWIW I've also had it such that a file looked corrupted in camera but the raw components of the file were fine.

Sounds like your SD card is dying

7. Slip

Slip Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN (USA)
    Dan
    Thanks for the replies - I ended up editing the JPEG - I'm sure there are only couple of bits off but frustrating nonetheless. I would bet there are recovery programs out there but I only found freeware/bloatware ones online which make me nervous installing on my PC.

So far I've tried using Olympus Viewer and Lightroom 6 to open the file from both the HDD and card using a card reader, I haven't tried directly from the camera. It sounds like a new card is in order, though this is a relatively new Transcend 64 Gb, which I've never had trouble with over multiple iterations through my use of the brand's cards. They have been formatted for both Pentax/Olympus - I wonder if formatting too many times across OS's would affect reliability? Maybe the physical contacts are dirty? I'm guessing we'll never know :)

Last edited: May 9, 2016
  8. Slip

Slip Mu-43 Regular

Jul 26, 2015
    Minneapolis, MN (USA)
    Dan
    PS - I was on the ocean when this happened with some spray getting on the camera but hey that's the point of buying WR gear right? Besides the other pics from the boat turned out fine...my Pentax with consumer (not "Pro") grade WR has been through much worse...

9. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Photorec is open-source (part of the TestDisk suite).