1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Jpeg settings for E-PL5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by cybertron, Jan 10, 2014.

1. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    Hi Everyone!

Went to the museum today to try out the jpegs from this cam since I am mostly a raw shooter. However, I am a little disappointed by the colors, any suggestions ?

FIrst the OOC jpeg the last is my edited version. How should I tweak the Jpegs, suggestions ?

2. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It's not a very colorful object so I'm not sure what you were looking for. Good teeth for a dead guy, however. Do you have the warm tone setting on or off?

3. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I have warm setting off since it produces extremely orange colors in my house, I also use the Natural setting for jpeg with +1 contrast and +1 sharpning, btw, is the camera always making to do perfect exposure ? or is there any way to make it stop and just do the exposure as it actually is.

this is especially important indoors when trying to get a good mood in the picture.

for example, the scull is good exposed but it is much more bright than the real scull that was shown

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    The sounds like more of a dynamic range problem than a color problem. You may want to try HDR since this is a still subject or just turn on the highlights/shadows blinkies.

• Like Like x 1
  5. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Agree with the others, looks like a bit of DR issue or even just a contrast issue. You could likely get the image below with a +2 contrast, +1 sharpen. Easiest thing to do is shoot raw+jpeg, then tinker in Olympus studio to get the setting right, then use those settings in the camera.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    found some settings that might be nice, I changed gradation to low and boosted saturation +1 , +2 contrast and +1 sharpen

will try it out tomorrow :D

thanks!

7. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    If you wanted the skull to be less bright, perhaps you should have used negative exposure compensation?

I see that you tried to lower the overall exposure in the edited version of the shot. Dialing in some negative EV compensation also could have saved the highlights on top of the skull.

By the way, it's almost impossible to recover lost highlights from JPEG files, but shadows are usually recoverable in post.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MajorMagee

MajorMagee Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2011
    Dayton, OH
    It's okay that the relatively uninteresting top of the skull is over exposed. The face in actually exposed quite nicely and captures a lot of interesting detail. An old post processing trick is to convert it to LAB in Photoshop and apply S curves to both the a and b Channels (leaving the Lightness as is). This will provide a subtle boost to the color contrast. You can then convert back to RGB mode and do an Auto Contrast boost to clear up the slight veiling.

• Like Like x 1
  9. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013

Actually it didn't look that bright in the monitor, and I find this camera always want to expose more than it need when inside (outside it is almost always perfect), I had a nex f3 before and that cam never showed this behavior. Instead it showed me the "real world" image, if I dialed the speed to much it would be darker and darker until black, if I dialed the other way it would end up being white but this cam it doesn't change, it changes all the parameters to match the exposure, and even if I go manual it doesn't change the screen more than +-3ev, and the image I get at -3ev doesn't resemble the final image and so on...but I guess I have to learn to deal with that and just live with it and learn to control it better....

10. betamax

betamax Mu-43 Regular

May 7, 2011
    NSW, Australia
    Alan
    +1. or bring up the live histogram.

11. beanedsprout

beanedsprout Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 13, 2013
    north central Ohio
    What's a jpeg? lol
    Do you shoot in P? Or one of the semi-auto modes?

12. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    I mostly use A or S mode (depending on what I need)
    on my NEx-F3 i used mainly the M mode, but i haven't the the E-pl5...

13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Do you have auto-gradation enabled? From what I can tell it changes levels to try and fill out the histogram - if your image was low contrast it would increase contrast, and if your image was high contrast it would try and reduce it (somewhat, by pulling back shadows and highlights).

I initially enabled it but found that it was messing up tones and contrast, especially skin tones. I've since turned it off and now apply my own curves adjustments (note I'm shooting raw btw).

14. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    yeah, found something, the gradation is set to LOW now this makes the images better ! i can't seem to shut it off ? !

15. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    What a jab! How dare someone shoot jpegs. Use P? A fool for sure. What else, needs tripod too right?

16. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    The "exposure as it actually is" doesn't really exist ... what you want is the exposure as your eye sees it at that moment with your eye's pupul at whatever aperture it is at that moment. If a cat or kinkajou was holding your camera they would be satisfied that if produced a realistic exposure.

In 2014 your Olympus camera cannot read that kind of information, so it tries to make a "correct" exposure.
    My e-pM2 does the same. It is absolutely correct behaviour.

To get a darker picture use exposure compensation : that is exactly what it is for.

17. cybertron

cybertron Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2013
    In 2013 the SOny NEX was able to achieve what my 2014 olympus cannot!

i guess that I can't really express what I mean. The exposure is always light even if the room itself is dark.
    none of my other cam has behaved like that (pentax kx, sony nex, ) but anyways, i will try to use the exposure compensation, and hope for the best, other than that I will just have to shoot raw again sso I can correct it postprocessed....

18. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    I too feel that my e-pM2 overexposes a dark room, but I also think that's because it is striving for "correct" exposure while my eyes and brain "know" it is a dark room.
    I cannot comment on any NEX, having owned none so far.
    My older Olympus cameras struggle to expose dark rooms because they don't have the high-ISO abilities of this camera, but I get the impression their "dark rooms" looked more like "dark rooms".

But still : use exposure compensation.

• Like Like x 1