Jpeg Output - Olympus vs Panasonic

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by Pecos, Dec 27, 2014.

1. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    There's been lots of discussion in the past about Olympus Jpeg colors having a great look, and Panasonic not so much. I'm talking about stock Jpeg out of the camera with no adjustments. (Some say you can get close to the same Olympus Jpeg look from tweaking a Panasonic camera's features.)

I'd like to know, has this difference - for those of you who believe there is a difference - been reduced or eliminated with the newer Panasonics? Not that you'd necessarily want colors to be just like an Olympus shot...but some folks reported white balance and color cast problems in the Panasonic cameras of a couple of years ago were responsible. Has this been corrected?
  2. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I had some of the original Panasonic offerings, up to a GX1. I thought they all struggled, more or less, with JPEGs vs Olympus. Now using the GX7. I find the difference to be way less significant. Now I think it is more a matter of fine tuning to suit your tastes, not trying to overcome some basic issue.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Serhan

Serhan Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 7, 2011
    I don't know if they match or not, since I use both sides eg epl5, gm1, gx7 etc and I don't see any problems with Panasonic colors with the new cameras. Again I also use raw. I used LX3 before e-p1 was issued and I had color problems with that, so based on that I can say Panasonic colors are improved.
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Based on the jpegs at base ISO, they are fairly comparable. At high ISOs though, Olympus does a better job at controlling noise at high ISOs. This is between the E-M10 and GX7 camera bodies I've used.
  5. noohoggin1

noohoggin1 Instagram: @tomnguyenstudio

May 21, 2012
    Straight out of the camera Panasonic JPEG's are pretty bad and flat compared to Olympus. You will have to tweak them in the settings or in raw to get them close.
  6. val

val Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2013
    My biggest beef with Panasonic JPEGs is the overly strong noise reduction, detail gets lost quite quickly and 100% view just looks crunchy, putting noise reduction and sharpness to minus five does help but it could still be better. I did a comparison between Fujifilm, Panasonic and Nikon and I found the Panasonic's JPEGs simply embarrassing.

I don't get how they still go on with it. It's so OBVIOUS.
  7. DaveEP

DaveEP Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 20, 2014
    York, UK
    I only ever shoot raw on both EM1 and GH4, but having read this thread I went off to test EM1 vs GH4 JPEG for myself (same scene, same lens)...

I would agree that the EM1 images are subjectively more appealing.

However, I can take the raw files and make them look pretty much identical with very little effort.
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    I find the JPEGs out of my GX1 to be unpleasant, and the RAWs to be stellar. I've never met a JPEG engine I liked, though, since no one seems to let you actually turn noise reduction completely off...
  9. Listener

Listener Mu-43 Regular

I think it depends on the subject matter, your preferences and your technique. Attention to white balance settings makes our OOC Jpegs of flowers, insects and other animals from a Panasonic G6 look right 95+% of the time.

Some Jpegs that Olympus owners and others post look hyped to me. I'll take a realistic image over something from a Disney movie.
  10. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    The only OOC jpgs I really ever liked were from my 5D mark II - Oly does a pretty good job, but I still prefer DxO and a nice Raw file...
  11. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    Thanks, demiro. With the GX7 how what changes do you make? And they're made in camera and saved, right? Could you post an example or two before and after?