1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

JPEG corrections

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Superstriker#8, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Superstriker#8

Superstriker#8 Mu-43 Regular

Jun 24, 2013
    So Olympus cameras correct Oly lens jpegs? If so would a Panasonic camera do the same?

2. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Part of the u43 standard includes correction of optical distortion. All u43 cameras will do the correction based on data supplied by the lens. Manual non-electronically coupled lenses can't send any data.

Most raw conversion software will also do the correction in the background. Some let you turn it off, some don't.

Panasonic lenses also send data to Panasonic cameras to correct chromatic aberration. The only Olympus camera to do CA correction is the new EM1. It uses an on board database to correct CA in both Olympus and Panasonic lenses. I don't know if Sigma lenses are included in the database.

Fred

• Like Like x 2
  3. Superstriker#8

Jun 24, 2013
    So, an Olympus lens would get correction on a Panasonic camera.

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Only for distortion, not CA.

5. Superstriker#8

Jun 24, 2013
    But Olympus lenses aren't meant for CA correction like Panasonic lenses.

6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I think the CA in the E-M1 is actually done by software and not a lookup table. This is one of the capabilities of the new image processing chip in the E-M1. The drawback of a lookup table is that the camera would need a firmware update for new lenses. BTW, the E-M1 does remove CA from my Sigma 30/2.8, which has large amounts of CA.

7. mattphoto

mattphoto Mu-43 Regular

Oct 21, 2013
    New York
    Is it firmware dependent too? So say.. those with an old Panny GH2 who put on a brand new Oly 12-40mm. Are they getting distortion correction, or does Panasonic have to release an updated firmware with the skinny on the new lens data?

8. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    The EM1's CA correction data is stored in the camera so new lenses will require firmware updates to be supported.

Fred

9. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Distortion correction data is stored in and sent by the lens to the camera. This is part of the u43 standard. The 12-40 will be corrected on the GH2 or any other u43 body that's ever been made.

No Panasonic camera corrects CA On any Olympus lens, only on Panasonic lenses. The only Olympus camera to correct CA is the EM1. It uses an on board database. Chromatic aberration correction is NOT part of the u43 standard. Olympus and Panasonic have chosen different approaches.

Fred

10. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The CA correction is something that shouldn't be easily discounted either. Panny bodies do an amazing job of it with lenses like the 20mm 1.7. Light room does a rather poor job with that lens, DXO seems much better.

11. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    If you mean Olympus lenses don't need CA correction, that's not correct. Some Oly lenses have little CA, some have plenty. The same is true of Panasonic lenses.

12. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    Hi

ok, so do the lenses send the data in such a way as to be available to older camera bodies? For instance, will my GH1 be able to process the lens correction data from the 12-32mm that comes on the new GM-1?

it would seem that it should be able to.

13. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Yes

• Like Like x 1
  14. Superstriker#8

Jun 24, 2013
    I meant that they aren't designed for CA corrections.

15. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    That is correct. :)

16. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I really doubt that. Photo editing programs do this in software, including OV3. In fact, the user has to manually adjust sliders to remove CA in OV3, because there is no lens CA information. Why would Olympus support 3rd party lenses with their firmware? (my E-M1 does a dandy CA job on my Sigma lens.) My D7000 removes CA from any lens I mount on it, because its done in with software in the camera.

What's the source of your information that it depends on firmware?

17. fredlong

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    Olympus says there's a database on board to correct CA. Also to selectively sharpen images per lens. I thought it only included Olympus lenses. Others have said it includes other u43 lenses. I can't confirm that.

Fred

18. b_rubenstein

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Go back and check the Olympus documentation and camera reviews. CA is corrected on all lenses, and I have confirmed that. The other enhanced JPG processing is based on lens data and is only applied to Olympus lenses.

• Like Like x 1