JPEG choices, which one?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by huashan, Dec 1, 2010.

1. huashan

huashan Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2010
    This question is for olympus e-pl1 only since it has the best jpeg engine ever (arguably) . Guess which camera I have. :biggrin::rofl::biggrin:

Ok so RAW is raw. You do it so you don't loss anything. What's the difference between L, M, S and Superfine and Normal, besides the obvious. For example if in a low light situation would LS give you anything more the LN? Would a M size picture combine pixels thus give you the equivalent of higher light intensity?

Please tell me why you use what you use.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    I use The natural setting and I use the largest and least compression. I also keep saturation and contrast at 0. There is some room in the E-P1 out of camera jpegs for improvement. I was suprised how much I could use jpeg and make small changes. Obviously RAW is better.
  3. pancake

pancake Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2010
    UK south East
    Natural setting for me and everything set to 0, I use superfine jpeg setting. Not used RAW files-the jpegs look pretty good to me. If I was taking pics for a print or for someone else then I would use RAW.
  4. huashan

huashan Mu-43 Rookie

Nov 30, 2010
    Thanks Djarum and pancake. Anyone else want to chime in or there's no much to it?
  5. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ChristopheG

ChristopheG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 4, 2010
    I agree with Djarum,
  7. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    If you are not pushed for space on your memory card I don't see any reason not to always use Super Fine.
  8. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    I completely agree. I have a 8 gig card in my E-PL1, which cost me about $20, and it holds over 800 pictures, which is WAY more than I'll ever need between trips to my computer. Setting it to large normal gives me over 2500. What is the point? JPG compression costs you detail. You never know when you will take that shot that you want to hang on your wall as a 20x30 print and you'll want every scrap of information the camera is capable of giving you. If you have it set to a higher compression JPG, you are just out of luck if that information isn't there.
    • Like Like x 2
  9. wyip

wyip Mu-43 Regular

Nov 17, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    I use RAW+JPEG, with JPEG set to Large:Super Fine. I bought a 16GB card just for this reason (holds almost 700 shots), since I like to have the RAW files just in case, but the JPEG engine has been pretty damn good so far.