1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Jon Falk on the OM-D EM-5

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by Fmrvette, Dec 4, 2012.

1. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Over on Kirk Tuck's visual science lab blog, Jon Falk shares his take of the OM-D and select lenses and other :43: gear:

The Visual Science Lab / Kirk Tuck

Generally I don't read reviews for gear that I already have acquired (if the review is good I preen to much and if the review is bad...I don't wanna know :biggrin:); however Jon's a decent writer and it's a good read. I like that he puts his top ten gripes at the top of the review.

Regards,

Jim

• Like Like x 2
  2. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Refreshingly different review.

3. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    A bit of affirmation for my own setup.. The 9-18 and 14-150 for walk around lenses in varied situations and good light (ie, TRAVEL), a handful of primes for most purpose-specific shooting and questionable light, and the 75-300 for the occasional really long shot needs. I don't do enough telephoto shooting to really justify the long lens, but every time I don't have one (I've bought and sold a couple of times already), I find reasons to want one, so now I'm just keeping the 75-300 for those occasions, no matter how rare...

But I see so many folks denigrate the 9-18 and especially the 14-150 on pixel peeping grounds, but I think they're more than fine for large prints in decent light and now I've seen a working pro who agrees with me. So my soapbox doesn't feel quite so small anymore...

-Ray

4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Why is it once the OM-D came out, everyone is a M43 expert now?

5. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    :rofl:

I suspect because the OM-D EM-5 looks like a DSLR, which is a digital SLR, and everyone is already an expert on the SLR. :wink:

Finally a :43: camera that the "experts" can relate to...

I'm tellin' ya, the Olympus stylist who decided that the camera needed a pentaprism housing even though the camera is mirrorless was a genius...

:wink:

Regards,

Jim

6. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Interesting, Ray. I'm a wide-angle type myself, and tried the Panasonic 7-14 and the Samyang 7.5: both had problems. The 7-14 had serious purple flare , and the fisheye is, well, a fisheye. I would love a wide-angle prime (wider than the 12mm), but when you look at the images the 9-18 produces, you have to print really large or pixel peep at 100% to detect a difference. Add to that the flexibility as a walk-around lens, especially for european cities (where I do most of my walking around ...), and it can't be beaten - at least for now.

7. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    I'm so glad you said this. I have a 9-18 on order and hope to get it in a week or so. You just made my day! :smile:

8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
  9. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    Bert, just had a look at your adirondack photos; I'm sure you already have tons of beautiful locations in mind: delicious portfolio! You will enjoy the 9-18, it will suit your style, I think.

10. newbert

newbert Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Glens Falls, NY
    Thanks for the link to your posted photos, Tam, and the kind words about mine. Judging from your posted examples, I think that I agree that I will be happy with the 9-18! :smile:

11. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I'm a wide angle guy too (although I can spend a lot of time in the 21-28mm EFL range without needing to go ultra-wide very often) and I've had the 9-18 since roughly the moment it became available. It was my most used lens on my 2010 European trip and many urban excursions since (other than for street shooting, where I'm generally closer to a 28mm EFL). I've thought on occasion about getting the 7-14 for the extra width, but I just don't think I care about it enough to deal with the size, cost, lack of filters, and now the alleged purple flare... And I've never been even remotely UN-happy with the 9-18 - just thinking I might be able to use that extra width on occasion. As a Fuji guy also, I sometimes think I'll check out their 10-24 when it shows up next year (about a 7.5-18 in m43 terms) and if I really like that I might keep it and sell the 9-18. But its gonna be a big and expensive lens and I mostly like the X-Pro for shooting primes with the OVF, so I'm hesitant about a zoom. And really an 18mm equivalent is plenty wide for anything - if I can't live with THAT limitation, I've gotten really spoiled!

But really, the 9-18 and 14-150 give you an amazing range of focal lengths for travel (with two bodies, one mounted on each most of the time) and with a couple of fast primes in the bag, its amazing what a good setup this is for almost anything you'd run into...

-Ray