1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Joining the micro-thirds club!

Discussion in 'Welcomes and introductions' started by irelandOM1, Aug 7, 2013.

1. irelandOM1

irelandOM1 New to Mu-43

Aug 7, 2013
    Oregon
    Chris
    Hello everyone. My love for photography was handed down from my dad. He gave me an Olympus OM1 for my high school graduation present back in 1978 and for the next several years that camera taught me how to take pictures.
    Fast forward a few decades and I have been a photographer for a local newspaper here for several years now so I'm extremely lucky to have an outlet for many of my pictures. (Although not so lucky when I hate all the pictures I've taken for a particular story but still have to cough one up. Which wouldn't be necessarily bad except for the fact that I have to put my name on it.)
    Been using the usual tools of the trade, the big old DSLR along with the requisite array of hefty glass, but after reading up on the fairly recent advancements of the mirrorless system, the OMD E5 specifically, and I'm about ready to shed a big chunk of the hefty poundage of my trade I've been lugging around for so long.
    And the sweet icing on this cake is having that nostalgic feel and form of my beloved OM1 back in my hands again.
    I'm looking forward to joining the micro-thirds party!

2. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Welcome Chris!

Looking forward to seeing your pix here soon!

Cheers! :th_salute:

3. monk3y

monk3y Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 14, 2013
    in The Cloud...
    Steven
    Welcome Chris!!! :smile:

4. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Still got my original OM1n and OM3 from the same era.

OMD feels the same, harder to get it set up "just right" but once you done this IBIS and OOC JPEG (+ RAW) make it fun to shoot!!

5. jeffryscott

jeffryscott Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 2, 2010
    Arizona
    Welcome Chris, you will likely find shedding all that weight very liberating. The OM-D is a very capable camera and more than capable for most newspaper work .... (Just keep a "pro" body and 300 2.8 for the long stuff, m43 can handle everything else)

I started out the same way. Started with an OM-1n (and an OM-2n) for my first newspaper job in the 80s, then yada, yada, yada with Canon and Nikon. I ENJOY photography with m43, and the results are fantastic.

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Welcome, Chris!

Regards,

Jim

7. Toddster

Toddster Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2013
    Florida
    Todd Cleaver
    Welcome aboard. I'm new here also, seems like a great place so far.