Joining the club ...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by number17, Mar 14, 2011.

1. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Hi all,

Just wanted to say I picked up the Panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens last week (bought it from the B&S forum here!) and is having as much fun as I've ever had with any camera my wife wonders why I can't even put the camera down! It is indeed the must-have lens for the E-PL1 (and any micro 4/3 I guess) ...

I bought the E-PL1 over Christmas sale (and of course, the E-PL2 came out just 2 months later at ~ the same price) and as a newbie to photography, I had some fun taking photos with family and friend gatherings, but quickly put my camera away after Christmas.

2 things really got me into getting the Lumix pancake lens. First, I found the kit lens with E-PL1 struggle with indoor, low-light shooting. Unless I have people posting still for the picture, half of my pictures turn out to be either very dark (with shutter speed of 1/60 or higher), or blurry. I figured a large aperture lens would help ... and 2. I see how everyone on this forum was telling me the 20mm f1.7 lens is a must-have lens for the camera.

And I've had so much fun with it since I got the lens it's almost like I got a new camera. Low-light shooting is much improved, bokeh shots are fun, and it's so compact that I can easily put the E-Pl1 with the pancake lens in my jacket's pocket ... which is what I do these days when I take my dog out for a walk everyday, and looking for new ideas to shoot when I go for the walk. My dog's loving it too, as he's spending 3x more time at the walk. :)

I'll post some pic's later on but just wanted to say it's a great and fun lens with the E-PL1!

• Like Like x 4
  2. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

number17, I'm so glad you're enjoying the E-PL1 and your new 20mm lens, too! And I know exactly what you mean about your dog's enjoying it along with you - mine accompanies me quite often, as well.:biggrin:

Do post some photos but also please stop over to the Welcomes and Introductions forum and give us an "official" hello, when you have the time.:wink:

3. andyw

andyw Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 27, 2010
    Surrey. UK
    Have you tried the 14mm f/2.5? Another great lens!! Not quite as sharp as the 20mm but still very very good.

4. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

Hello #17 and welcome to the forum.

5. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Welcome aboard #17.

Good choice of glassware.... nice camera too.

Enjoy the forum, lets see some pics.

Alan

6. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    Thanks guys.

I thought about the 14mm but after playing with my friend's 20mm it was the large aperture that really got me hooked.

The only negative about the Panny 20mm is it's pretty noisy for AF, which is a bit of a problem in video mode ... but I try not to go with CF mode the odd times I shoot video with the E-PL1 anyways (it hunts too much) ... but otherwise I just love this lens. It's so versatile I don't even put the kit lens back on.

My next lens is probably the Oly's 14-150mm ... went down to a hockey game over the weekend and really wished I had a longer lens with me. :)

What's a good (and free :)) site for posting photos? Primarily I've been putting my pics on facebook only, which doesn't give you a link for posting in forums like this.

7. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    Many people here use flickr and it works very well; myself, I'm using picasa (because for a long while, the standalone picasa client was the best filing software running on Linux, before digikam offered the same usability level), and it's also rather easy to link pictures here.

Cheers,

8. number17

number17 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2011
    thanks ... I've just found that I actually have a user gallery so I've uploaded some pic's!

I'm a newbie to photography so any tips is welcome too!