Joining MFT from FT and looking for bag recommendations

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Mooring, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Mooring

Mooring Mu-43 Regular

Dec 7, 2013
    Lee Mooring
    I am moving from FT to MFT and wonder what bag those of you with a E-M1 would recommend. I currently have the 12-40 Pro and ultimately would like to add the 40-150 Pro and Pro Wide angle when released with possibly an external flash. I am considering a Think Tank Retrospective 7 but would like to know what others recommend.

2. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Hi Lee!

There's a huge thread on bags (and bags and more bags :biggrin:) here:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=593

The E-M1, being new, might not have too many recommendations yet. I have an E-M5 and with the grip mounted it would be about the size of the E-M1 and I use a Domke F3-X to hold the camera with one lens mounted and room for two more in the bag itself and an FL-600R flash in an end pocket.

However there is practically no padding on the Domke bag (with the exception of the bottom of the bag); I find it great for day shoots but it would, perhaps, not be the best "travel" bag wherein one required protection for the kit.

http://www.amazon.com/Domke-700-30D...UTF8&qid=1386821904&sr=1-4&keywords=domke+f3x

Regards,

Jim

3. bassman

bassman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 22, 2013
    New Jersey
    Scott
    I use two bags for my EM5 with the RRS grip, both Think Tank:

The Hubba Hubba Hiney carries the camera plus 12-35, 9-18, 45-150. Any lens can be mounted. Room for batteries, cards, CP + adaptor rings, etc.

If I'm bringing my iPad, the Mirrorless Mover 30 carries a bit more gear.

In either bag you can stack small primes on top of the zooms (17/1.8, 45/1.8, ...) at the expense of convenience.

4. humzai

humzai Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 17, 2012
    What did you use with your ft gear? You might find m4/3 allowing you to carry more gear then ft in the same space and find your old bag works fine.

5. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I use a Tamarc Velocity 6 (I think that is the model number), which works well for my 12-60, as this a larger lens. It also allows me to tuck the 45 and 20 on either side of it.

6. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    Billingham Hadley pro is the way..

7. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    I like to pack according to whatever I'm doing so I have so I already have too many bags myself.

I like the ThinkTank Mirrorless Mover line line and have the 10, 20 and 30 models along with the Hubba Hubba Hiney for hiking. The MM20 gets the most usage and can hold my GX1 with the 45/1.8 attached leaving room for my 9-18, 60 macro, 20 and 14. With the MM30 I can add the 45-175, 14-45, a second body and a tablet and have room for a bit more.

8. abat

abat Mu-43 Rookie

May 30, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Andrew
    A Domke f5-xc would fit the bill. I carry an em5 with rrs grip, 12-35, 35-100, flash, 20mm, filters, kenko tubes. Configured with a single divider on the top level and 3 section bottom compartment. All fits nicely and very accessible. The 40-150 would be a bigger beast but you could easily configure a full height compartment. If padding is an issue, just put some additional dividers right at the sides.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Mu-43 mobile app

9. Captmatt

Captmatt Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2013
    Homer, Alaska
    Matt Wilkens
    A Clik Elite Impulse Sling bag is what I use, carries a small outfit (OM D, 100-300, 12-50, 25, flash and room for one more lens, swings to the front easily to get stuff out, is easy to use on a bike or hiking. The top compartment can carry lunch, or supplies and a small tablet. It's well made, very comfortable to wear and cost about 100.00.

10. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    exactly - but I'm not sure about 'too many'? I've only got 8 currently in use.

the real differences are that at the one end I can get 4 FL units, beauty dish and other light modifiers all in the one bag with triggers, lenses, bodies and all the odds and sods - and at the other a body and 4 lenses in a tiny black leather bag (with an emergency flash capability....:smile:)

11. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    I recommend the Domke F-10 Rugged ware for every day use and the Think Tank Retrospective 5 when you are traveling and need extra padding/protection.

The Domke is just so incredibly user friendly easy to pull out lenses and your camera without unnecessary buckles, zippers and other things that get in the way of quick access. The TT R5 is easy to access but, a bit less so just better padded.

Dan

12. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    There are as many bag recommendations as there are photographers, I've never found a 'perfect' bag in over 50 years.

It's very subjective.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Edsiajb

Edsiajb Mu-43 Regular

Nov 22, 2013
    Very true...for me it's been 30+ years. But I never, NEVER stop looking for the perfect bag! Truth is that there will never be a single perfect bag (I couldn't even design my perfect bag) because my needs are dynamic - changing with each trip or photo shoot.

I have four main bags I rotate as needed...and a couple of others that see use from time to time.

My largest bag is my favorite....a military style (and military rugged) "Hazard4 Photo Recon". A few months back I took this bag on a jaunt through Alaska stuffed with three M43 bodies, eleven lenses, monopod, and all the other goodies. It is a sling bag...very convenient on the move.

14. sdsyver

sdsyver Mu-43 Regular

Mar 14, 2012
    Northern Alberta
    Shawn
    I go back and forth between the Retrospective 5, Lowepro Photo Sport Pro 30L AW and a large Messenger bag with an camera insert for when I am walking around the city or traveling. Messenger bag is big enough for Gortex jacket, water, food, camera and couple lenses, and much more. Retrospective five holds all the camera gear I need for a few days but not any of the misc gear. The Lowepro is by far the best bag I have used for day hiking especially with micro 4/3 gear. Room for camera with lens as well as two other lenses in camera portion. Then lots of room for tripod clothes, food and water. These three are as close as I can get to having one bag that does it all.

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    There are a lot of great bags, and no perfect bags. I've got a few ideas about what I think would be 'ideal', and I'm discussing the making of one with a cousin (who makes leather handbags).

16. Narnian

Narnian Nobody in particular ...

Aug 6, 2010
    Midlothian, VA
    Richard Elliott
    No, I think there are even more - many of us have multiple recommendations. I think they go up exponentially with the number of photographers involved.

Same here. But keep trying! :D

And if it wasn't it would not be any fun.

17. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I use a Domke f-802 with a third party insert, it may be too big but another Domke might be good. I like Domke's and some of the Billinghams mostly the thin ones such as F-802/803 and the Billingham Hadleys as I want it to not stick out from my body too much. I also like them as they are relatively simple bags with useful pockets that are easy to get into, depending on what I am doing they serve as more of a multi purpose bag than just cam bags. In the bag will be cameras (G3,EP-1 and Ricoh GX100) 14-42,14 and Sigma 30mm, cards and batteries. Medicines or I would end up doing nowt, notebooks 2 fountain pens, cigarettes (Summer only) Glasses, contacts and workbooks (Uni trips only) Maps, guide books etc. There is room for a couple of more lenses too.
    My advice if you can get some where that sells bags is to go along and take a look but buy a little bit bigger than you think you will use.

18. Ares

Ares Mu-43 Regular

Nov 13, 2013
  19. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    And I bet you'd still get it wrong :smile: give it three months or less and you'd want to change something.

20. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Mooring,
    Considering putting the EM-1, Pro-wide, 12-40, and 40-150, a flash and associated accessories in a bag, the Think Tank Retrospective 7 would work well. The Retrospective 5 would work - not much room left over. However you can add Think Tank Skin Modular units to the sides of the bags to increase storage.

The Domke F-5XC world work well set up how abat stated. The lenses would lay on the their side in the made bottom compartment of the bag. You could put two dividers in the top instead of one. Additionally if you need a little more room you can add Domke accessory pouches to either side.

The Billingham Hadley Small will work but not let you add a lot more, while the Pro would have some extra room. These bags are set up to enable two lenses to be stacked!

BTW - you can also carry a small tablet in the back of all of these bags if you want to use O.I. Share with your camera.