John Shaw's " Close-Up's In Nature" book....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Minniesmum, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Someone started a topic on a book about exposure and prompted me to dig out my photography books. Most of these came from charity shops and second-hand so happy. Also many were written pre-digital era.
    I looked through the book and you know, he rarely mentions " macro" lenses. The emphasis is on exposure, light ,using a tripod, etc. It made me think that perhaps we have lost the way a bit regards the basics in photography. Depending too much on lens reviews, speed of autofocus, pixels,......and perhaps most of us ( including moi ) could learn a lot about the basics to improve our images.
    The micro 4/3 system is doing that for me. For starters, manual focusing, dof using the aperture ring on the lens. I spent a few hours out yesterday at Mount Grace Priory playing with a tripod, my OM 50mm macro lens and the OM 135mm.
    And the E-PL1 of course.
    Sooooo much more to learn and experiment with than I could ever have imagined !!!!

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Very true. I've always enjoyed the process of making an image as much as the final result. Auto everything takes away from that.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Thank you. Yes the making of the image is becoming more important to me as time goes on. And learning a lot from other people's experiences is a big part of that.