John Shaw's " Close-Up's In Nature" book....

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Minniesmum, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Someone started a topic on a book about exposure and prompted me to dig out my photography books. Most of these came from charity shops and second-hand so happy. Also many were written pre-digital era.
    I looked through the book and you know, he rarely mentions " macro" lenses. The emphasis is on exposure, light ,using a tripod, etc. It made me think that perhaps we have lost the way a bit regards the basics in photography. Depending too much on lens reviews, speed of autofocus, pixels,......and perhaps most of us ( including moi ) could learn a lot about the basics to improve our images.
    The micro 4/3 system is doing that for me. For starters, manual focusing, dof using the aperture ring on the lens. I spent a few hours out yesterday at Mount Grace Priory playing with a tripod, my OM 50mm macro lens and the OM 135mm.
    And the E-PL1 of course.
    Sooooo much more to learn and experiment with than I could ever have imagined !!!!

2. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    Very true. I've always enjoyed the process of making an image as much as the final result. Auto everything takes away from that.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  3. Minniesmum

Minniesmum Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 2, 2012
    UK
    Thank you. Yes the making of the image is becoming more important to me as time goes on. And learning a lot from other people's experiences is a big part of that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.