Joe Edelman switch to Olympus

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by AdamK, Dec 3, 2017.

1. AdamK

AdamK Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Dec 3, 2012
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Adam
    Any Joe Edelman watchers out there? He’s a long-time Nikon shooter who has just announced his transition to mu-43 and investment in Olympus gear for his stills work going forward - his announcement and reasoning for it can be found here:

Most of what he points out are all the same reasons I suspect 90% or more of the mu-43 converts on this forum have understood for quite some time about the platform, still interesting to see a well-followed YouTube photog personality announce his conversion.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. I like his videos. Didn’t know he has switched

3. That was a nice video. Thanks!

4. Repp

Repp Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    I was just about to post this. I like a lot of the stuff he does with his videos, though I don't really get his dislike of some brands (like godox), Just wish it didn't look like he was stuck on the old method of thinking of only one brand. Both Oly and Pany are great, and one of the better features of m43 is that the lenses are very cross compatible.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    I'm happy he made a video for his changeover - I wasn't sure how his choice would end up.

Joe, like many of us long time photographers respect the gear that has been consistent, reliable, and served us well for years. It takes quite a bit to switch to other brands. Although I have started using Godox gear, it has yet to totally supplant my use of Profoto, Quantum, Olympus, and Pocket Wizard gear- so I can understand why some dislike or don't trust different brands.

With the pros that have changed to or complimented their gear with Micro Four Thirds this year - the Micro Four Thirds consortium has made a lot of headway.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    @Clint@Clint now if we could just get them active in the forum somehow...

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Clint
    Don't think that will happen.

8. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Absolutely. Two active and largely compatible brands are a big advantage of mu43.

9. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Thank you for sharing that video.

10. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    Interesting... good points.

I wonder if he'll switch back to nikon after half a year?

11. Gerard

Gerard Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

May 12, 2015
    Vleuten, Utrecht
    Wish he keeps his hands at peace..

12. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    He's familiar with Panasonic cameras, I guess he knew what he was getting into with the m43 system.

One of the things he mentioned, and this not a lot of people talk about it, is the future of Canon and Nikon which still don't have full frame mirrorless cameras. What are they going to do with their lenses if they decide to create mirrorless cameras? Remember the transition of four thirds to micro four thirds...a whole new series of lenses? How are customers going to react?

13. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    The CaNikon customers will react poorly. There will likely be adapters, much like for 43 > m43 but in the end many will end up with glass that is not as useful, smaller, lighter, as advanced as the newer systems glass, and will have lost most of it's resale value. It is a very hard decision for any company to make. Do you evolve and make strides to improve your product line, knowingly alienating most of your long term customers? Or do you stick with what you have, and watch as other companies pull ahead of you. In hind sight, I think the smart choice would have been to drop the APSC line of DSLRs for mirrorless several years ago, prepping people for whats to come, and directly competing with fuji and sony's offering.

14. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    If Canon/Nikon have any sense they'll just invent a new mount suitable for FF mirrorless. Sure it'll be painful in the short term, but the alternative is a compromise for ever and always.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. CWRailman

CWRailman Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 2, 2015
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    Denny
    This guy has changed more than just his camera. Here is a video from about 7 years ago and compare this to one of his more recent videos. You might not believe that it's the same guy. There is also a gap where he was missing from Youtube for a while. Probably during his makeover??? Personally I preferred his older videos, not the new high energy "I've had too many Red Bull's" videos. I think he is just trying different things to get his Youtube subscriptions up. Now they are around 101K and he is way behind others who post similar material such as Olympus shooter Gavin Hoey who has 285K subscribers. That impacts his ability to make money off his Youtube videos. If he continued with the products he was using he would be up against the likes of Mango Street which has nearly 449K subscribers in a relatively short period of time and they are growing quickly or Matt Granger (personally I do not care for him but that is me) who has 549K subscribers and seems to prefer Nikon.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
  16. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I don’t know why Canon and Nikon can’t make FF mirrorless cameras and dslrs. I personally still think there is a market for both. At least for now. While mirrorless is improving, dslrs are still better for sports shooting imo.

17. masayoshi

masayoshi Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 5, 2016
    Salt Lake City
    Masaaki
    There was an interview about Nikon D850 development, and the interviewees were Nikon's Japanese HQ team.
    ニコンD850(前編) "高画素&高速連写"を目指した理由とは?
    ニコンD850(後編) AFなど基礎体力も向上 効果てきめんの「自然光オート」WB
    When interviewer asked about OVF/EVF hybrid finder (for which Nikon had a patent), they tried to implement, but decided not to, because most of their customers will be upset when OVF is compromised (due to insertion of electronic screen in the light path of penta-prism). But technically, I would love to have OVF/EVF switching, with just one button by raising the mirror and project LV screen to finder.
    Personally, I don't mind the size of DSLR and FF lenses, but I just miss EVF when I use DSLR, while I miss OVF when I use mirrorless.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. pondball

pondball Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

he reminds me of Vince on the chop o'matic commercials... and I'm only a minute into the video!!!:eek-31:

19. Repp

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    Ilko Allexandroff has also been playing around with an EM1ii, not sure if he's switching or just playing though. He use to do more videos in English or at least subed, both of which have been lacking from his channel lately. But his locational work is superb!

• Like Like x 1
  20. NCV

NCV Mu-43 Regular

Mar 9, 2016
    Italy
    Nigel
    In the video he says he "reached out to the Olympus marketing department". Hmmm.

• Like Like x 1