Joe Edelman - It is time to hold the photo industry media accountable!

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
Joe Edelman has some convincing advice for us all, especially in light of the damaging rumours going around regarding Olympus & their imaging division etc.
Please watch the first 25 minutes. We should be more careful about rumours & especially about sharing them or treating them like facts.

Please lets see your comments after you have watched those first 25 minutes (the rest is Q&A etc).

Real Name
Richard
My view is that he is absolutely right to call out 'rumour blogs' and lowbrow youtube photography channels who are suddenly experts in corporate affairs. They, like newspapers, will tell you that they are providing a valuable public service, wheras actually, they will all die very quickly without a readership.

I was rebuffed soundly on one of the rumour sites for suggesting that no-one has a God given right to be given a company's financial strategy in advance of their shareholders/bank. My suggestion that global companies like this are made up of multiple smaller companies and that they make their profits and losses where it suits them to do so also fell on deaf ears. Certainly, if in a parallel life, I were to be head of a large company, if I had to report a loss to my shareholders, I'd make damned sure that the loss was happening in the same sector as the rest of my loss-making competitors (but maybe just lose a bit less than they are).

I doubt Olympus's medical imaging division would exist without being driven by their camera division.

My two penneth for what it's worth.

I look forward to the Northrup's response.

Last edited:
I just don't understand why Olympus can't make what I want:

Body- 30mp (300mp HIRES), 7.875 stops of IBIS, +/- 57 stops of DR, EyelashAF, Feather-Spine™ Tracking AF, All in a a body the size of an E-M5ii with 13 programmable function buttons, 33 mode dial options and an Atari style joystick, swappable tilt and articulating LCD, and 3 Trillion dot OLED+ EVF (With -15 nanosecond lag. Yes, future seeing)

Lenses - 5-25mm f/1 PRO zoom; 25mm, 55mm, 85mm f/0.75 primes; 85-636mm PF f/2 PRO zoom with an additional 4.125 stops of OIS; AND A GOSH DARN 100mm f/2.8 MACRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a business case for those - it's what I want - so there has to be.

If they can't do that, should they really stay in business anyway?

Last edited:

KBeezie

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Karl Blessing
I seen the effect of this quite heavy in almost every Olympus social media ad comment section, about how they would love to but that they're folding up shop etc. And all the numerous replies (copy/paste like) to each one about how they're not planning on exiting the business.

TNCausal... maybe just move on because it's clear they're not targeting you? (and many of what you want is sensor size dependent) [But I sense sarcasm too so... :D]

Real Name
Roddy
I just don't understand why Olympus can't make the what I want:

Body- 30mp (300mp HIRES), 7.875 stops of IBIS, +/- 57 stops of DR, EyelashAF, Feather-Spine™ Tracking AF, All in a a body the size of an E-M5ii with 13 programmable function buttons, 33 mode dial options and an Atari style joystick, swappable tilt and articulating LCD, and 3 Trillion dot OLED+ EVF (With -15 nanosecond lag. Yes, future seeing)

Lenses - 5-25mm f/1 PRO zoom; 25mm, 55mm, 85mm f/0.75 primes; 85-636mm PF f/2 PRO zoom with an additional 4.125 stops of OIS; AND A GOSH DARN 100mm f/2.8 MACRO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is a business case for those - it's what I want - so there has to be.

If they can't do that, should they really stay in business anyway?
All powered by an unobtanium battery, guaranteed for YOUR Lifetime? How the heck could you forget that?

Aristophanes

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The rumours got started by a series of journalist pieces in Japan focussed on the photographic industry decline combined with institutional investor and activist shareholder queries about executive responses. It’s been ongoing since some American and European venture capital firms started to agitate for better corporate management in core Japanese industries.

The Olympus messaging response was terrible. They said one thing in a Chinese interview, and had to clarify their position, twice, in Japan. Sony, Nikon, and Canon have all, undergone similar scrutiny, including discussions of talent leaving, portfolios being sold or even closed, patents being offered, spin-offs, etc. This has less to do with the Anglo world online gibberish and more to do with legitimate concerns about the inadequate response of Japanese companies to foreseeable market declines.

Edelman misses the mark. There is a larger discussion in play in Japan about industry rationalization and consolidation, same as at the end of the film era, marked by substantial declines in imaging sales. The fact that all Japanese imaging divisions are money losers in an era marked by an explosion of imaging sharing and communication is what’s driving the introspection.There is an industry shakeup coming. m43 is especially vulnerable in that it has far less room for margin uplift given the smaller sensor being closer to consumer grade, and therefore requiring a larger base of mass sales, than larger formats. This is especially true when larger formats are combining mirrorless tech at lower price points in smaller form factors. Severe competition has come down to m43 and no one is sure the Olympus response in particular is viable. We know where Panasonic hedged.

Ross the fiddler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ross
The rumours got started by a series of journalist pieces in Japan focussed on the photographic industry decline combined with institutional investor and activist shareholder queries about executive responses. It’s been ongoing since some American and European venture capital firms started to agitate for better corporate management in core Japanese industries.

The Olympus messaging response was terrible. They said one thing in a Chinese interview, and had to clarify their position, twice, in Japan. Sony, Nikon, and Canon have all, undergone similar scrutiny, including discussions of talent leaving, portfolios being sold or even closed, patents being offered, spin-offs, etc. This has less to do with the Anglo world online gibberish and more to do with legitimate concerns about the inadequate response of Japanese companies to foreseeable market declines.

Edelman misses the mark. There is a larger discussion in play in Japan about industry rationalization and consolidation, same as at the end of the film era, marked by substantial declines in imaging sales. The fact that all Japanese imaging divisions are money losers in an era marked by an explosion of imaging sharing and communication is what’s driving the introspection.There is an industry shakeup coming. m43 is especially vulnerable in that it has far less room for margin uplift given the smaller sensor being closer to consumer grade, and therefore requiring a larger base of mass sales, than larger formats. This is especially true when larger formats are combining mirrorless tech at lower price points in smaller form factors. Severe competition has come down to m43 and no one is sure the Olympus response in particular is viable. We know where Panasonic hedged.
Yes, I know these circumstances exist, but it's the gullible repeating of the 'attention getting' posts of 'rumor' sites, blogs etc that do unnecessary damage that is a problem. I think back to when Samsung pulled out & I think I saw forum posts that ridiculed Samsung & treated them with disdain as a camera & lens manufacturer. That must have had an effect on sales or lack of them.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom