1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

JJC Olympus TTL Cord Compatibility

Discussion in 'Lighting Forum' started by Tony Rex, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    I took a punt and bought thus cord from fleabay

"JJC Off Camera TTL Flash Extension Cord for OLYMPUS E-P2 P1 E-30 E-1 as FL-CB05"

.. Despite there's no mention about being compatible with E-M5 or E-M1, and it turns out it isn't. Well, sort of. It works on manual mode, so the central pin is fine, but the camera can't detect the flash at all on TTL mode.

I suspect the pins are too fat for the hotshoe grooves. Pic:

24155667790_a0fefca940_b.

As you can see, unlike the cylindrical pins on the cable, the Meike MK-320P pins are flatter and pointy. So I'm thinking of hacking the pins on the cable, since it was my fault and the return postage would be uneconomical anyway.

I'd be grateful for any tips on the hack.

PS: I checked the pin connections on the cable itself with the multimeter, everything's fine.

2. Tony Rex

Tony Rex Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 6, 2015
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Tony Rex
    23828792823_e4777fbfdb_b.

I tried removing the pins from the inside but removing the hotshoe plate made impossible by two stripped screws.

23828789253_9b2f6572ae_b.

I filed away some materials from the outside to no avail. The X pin works even when the camera can't detect any flash. Flash on manual, it fires away, but still nothing on TTL.

I think I've had enough lesson for now. I'll probably order an FL-CB05 when I'm done spitting the dummy.

3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi Tony, Everything I've read says Canon cables work great on Olympus, and they're much cheaper than the Oly cables.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  4. yendikeno

yendikeno Mu-43 Regular

Sep 5, 2015
    Interesting, as the same apparently hold true for the Fuji X cameras.