JJC hoods (of recent) for Olympus 75mm/1.8?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Linh, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Has anyone recently bought this? I bought two, one off ebay, one off Amazon. Both were way too tight a fit. It might have worked, but I would have scratched up the 75. I bought one for my 12 a while back that was awesome.
  2. jomerads

jomerads Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2013
    Moorestown, New Jersey
    John S.
    I did, they are not too tight. 5-6 months of use without a scratch yet.

John S.
  3. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I've had mine for about a year now. It fits snug but it won't scratch the lens if you put it on right. It does leave some black marks from the metal to metal contact, easily cleaned off. I leave my hood on 100% of the time so it doesn't bother me.
  4. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Bought one recently and it seems fine. Nice quality also.
  5. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    No problems with mine either ...

I have JJC hoods with most of my lenses, all OK. And no, I have no connection with them, just a customer.
  6. RamblinR

RamblinR Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2012
    Sunshine Coast, Qld Australia
    Whilst I have no problem with the 75mm prime lens JJC hood, the m43 75-300mm hood they supplied is hopeless.
    I even got them to send a second copy because the first was way to hard to put on the lens and it couldn't be reversed.
    Second one came and whilst it is easier to put on the lens it also cannot be reversed.
    I also have a 58mm screw in hood so I might just use that for this lens as it is much smaller but unfortunately cannot be reversed so I think I will look for a lens cap for the hood and leave it in place when heading out and only take the hood off once home.
  7. cdmicha

cdmicha Mu-43 Regular

Dec 28, 2012
    I've got one too (the black version) from Amazon, and it is snug, but works and doesn't appear to be scratching. I wish they would have used some sort of smoother finish on it, like the 75mm has. The hood itself works great for me. Got myself a center pinch 58mm lens cap so I could leave the hood on all the time like spatulaboy.
  8. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    How recent is recent?

How difficult should it be to put on? I feel like I've reverted back a decade or two in photo knowledge as I've never had to struggle with a lens hood. The 12 I have from JCC just slides right on with 0 effort.
  9. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    The section the hood had to slide over on the 75 is huge. Although mine always goes on well I feel like I'm going to scratch the lens because of the sheer distance it travels. So I just leave it on all the time.

10. HappyFish

HappyFish Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 8, 2012
    bought the screw on one for my 75 that way when I use it with a circ pol I just rotate the whole hood :) has worked out really nice that way amazon thing about under 10 bucks as I remember ?

might be another option ? leaving it on I don't worry about reversing or anything so if ultimate pack size is your thing it might not work as well but for it staying on etc. worth a look :)
  11. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    I received mine just today, and it fits my 75/1.8 perfectly, although the matte black color is different from the lens' finishing.
  12. tomO2013

tomO2013 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 28, 2013
    Has anybody tried / seen the OEM olympus hood in the flesh? I've heard that these JJC's are simply straight up knock offs of the Olympus originals. In terms of fit , does the Oly 'fit' less snug/less prone to scratch ?

13. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    I have the OEM hood, but not the JJC to compare it with. With the screw loose, the hood slides on very easily. I never worry about scratching the lens.

The biggest difference that I see is that the JJC finish does not match the lens. It seems to be more muted than the lens' finish.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. FastCorner

FastCorner Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2011
    I bought my OEM hood separately from my 75mm f/1.8. When I first bought the hood, it was a little difficult to put on because it had been sitting at the doorstep for quite some time. After both reached the same temperature, the hood was much easier to affix.

Can't vouch for JJC fitment, though. Never tried it.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    The OEM hood has to be square with the lens and it slides on easily, but snugly. This is metal on metal so some might think they will scratch the surface of the lens. The JJC hood I tried has the same fit.