JJC auto macro extension tubes

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
After reading tons of posts on the various macro tube extension tube sets I went for the JJC set ($40 on Amazon). Later today I will post some macro images from them (using focus bracketing while tethered, stacked in PS). I am doing a lot of imaging of almost micro fossils (between 1mm and 10mm) where my stereo microscope is just too much. 1:1 is Ok, but even using a Canon 500D dual element filter doesn't allow me to see enough of the details to make an ID. So I decided to try an inexpensive set of tubes (not willing to throw a $100 away on the Kenkos if I didn't like the results.

Big concern was all of the comments on the inexpensive sets (mostly under $30) with the build and fit. Well the JJC's fit very nicely (tight) and release without issues. First test shots on the 60mm (1.6 x with the tubes) and almost 2x with tubes and filters made me smile. Good use of $40 for the literally hundreds of new fossils I have to image.

Have to do a couple of things and then I will be posting a series with imaging details and at least one comparison set.

Oh yea, highres single shots are amazing:)

I know the 500D is made for lenses 100mm and longer (have one for my PL100-400 and one for my 75-300II and an adapter for the 35-100 f4/5.6) but it still works with the 60 just not as much magnification. I looked on B&H for a 46mm D250 and it and the D500 are marked as discontinued, what a shame.

Last edited:

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just used my desk lamp to shoot an image with the tubes (also shot with just the lens but had it set for 10000 ISO so could use for comparison). This is an 1:1 crop, my calculations are that it is approximately 1.6 times the 1:1 of the Oly macro. One of the ID points on a mollusk shell is the Umbo (its the little point in that Protrusion in the back of the shell in this image). Hard to see at 1:1 but clear at 1:1.6x. Over all I rate these tubes very close to the Kenko's and for my use a 10. This fossil is a cast and very poorly consolidated, I had to use a nail polish top coat when I extracted it to keep it in one piece. Top markings are millimeters and this fossil is about 10mm wide.
shotwithtubes.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
Cool! JJC stuff is pretty awesome in my opinion. I am slowly accumulating a collection of their low-priced accessories (highest cost was the GX9 grip at $40-ish) and each item has been well-made, feels and looks great, and just works.

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I’ve already had my birthday.....
4520F0D8-EE09-48E2-9B64-A84D1850A7BF.jpeg

I didn’t know I was a Viltrox man..😁

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
So as a quick follow up, I got those tubes last month but still cold outside and nothing interesting to shoot in the yard yet so I didn't shoot anything with them for a month. The other day I was sitting at my computer desk when a little jumping spider made an appearance on the wall near my desk lamp. Perfect opportunity to at least get a test shot with the extension tubes. I put them both (10mm+16mm) on the 40-150 "R" and shot six photos. Two I deleted for missed focus and the other four were not bad for hand held quick shots.

Here is one of them. Not cropped and the only thing I did was color correct it a bit since my desk lamp is a compact fluorescent and I have a light green wall, so color was way off...

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2kPZEyT]
51082597571_df89c56925_o.jpg
2021.03.27-11.38.41 by Patrick, on Flickr[/URL]

I am pretty pleased with the results for what ends up a very thrifty Macro setup for those of us that normally don't shoot macro and are not sure if we want to invest in an actual macro lens like the Oly 60.

Bushboy

Mu-43 All-Pro
I tried mine too. I was very surprised how close they got! But really quite difficult compared to a macro lens. Slow and cumbersome. I threw mine back in the cupboard...

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Yes I am sure a dedicated macro lens is much better but these work well enough for my wants, cost very little, and are very easily thrown into a bag to have on hand with no real weight or bulk penalty just in case something comes up to shoot. Plus mine are the kick-ass red anodized ones. The only thing missing are some little 🔥 stenciled on them.

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Spend 20 minutes in the yard playing with these extension tubes again. Once again shot with the plastic fantastic Oly 40-150 R lens.

The two dandelion photos I first focused on the center of it and so the little floaty things closest to the camera kind of blur away. While the second is focused on the floaty things closest to the camera. On both cases I simply AF'd then rocked back and forth to adjust the focus where I wanted it. Hand held. No crop on either one.

51181843654_6f32228cc6_o.jpg
2021.05.15-16.10.11 by Patrick, on Flickr

51181053091_ae328db254_o.jpg
2021.05.15-16.10.28 by Patrick, on Flickr

Fiddlehead with beetle. This one I shot landscape but when I got it on the computer cropped it portrait and cropped in slightly. Should of take the photo originally in portrait and got closer. Next time.

51182142920_1d66203318_o.jpg
2021.05.15-16.03.42 by Patrick, on Flickr

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom