Jiu Jitsu Video GF2

Discussion in 'Video to Share' started by ApGfoo, Mar 5, 2013.

1. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    Our Academy threw a tournament over the weekend. It went smoothly. I had fun shooting it. My instructor also wanted me to take stills. I did but not as much since I was more focused on video. Shooting indoor action stills is a difficult task with the non-electronic full manual 35mm T1.4 SLR Magic.

I still need a ton of work color correcting...its a work in progress. I used my GF2 and also a Sony XDCAM camcorder so it was difficult to get the colors to match in post. I didn't worry about that too much but maybe for next time.

I hope people enjoy the video. Also critiques are always welcome!

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iYbqYRhgwU"]Jiu Jitsu By The Bay 10 - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  2. redalien

redalien Mu-43 Regular

Aug 23, 2012
    Tamas
    Nice video, I have to say your choice of the soundtrack is fantastic. It really elevates the enjoyment of the video.

3. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Nice video! Those rainbow spats from Scramble look great on film. Makes me wanna get a pair.

4. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nice work...and some nice takedowns and submissions too, great to see JJ taking off (much thanks to the Gracie clan).

5. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    pretty difficult to find the right song to go with the flow of the video...I can usually start scrubbing through the footage and picking what parts of the clips to use but I don't start adding to the timeline until I get the song.

If you haven't guessed, that's a 10th Planet competitor!

Yeah those spats seem cool. I've seen them at bjjhq from time to time.

The BJJ lifestyle is awesome.

I was most impressed with the female competitors. They were just as fierce as the males if not more.

6. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    I will probably grab a pair if I start training nogi regularly. What gym do u train at ApGfoo?

7. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    I train with Sergio Silva in the Bay Area. How about you?

8. eggshen

eggshen Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 8, 2012
    Yea Sergio is a nice guy. I met him years ago at a nogi comp at One World in Union City. I just started training again after a long layoff. I signed up over at Machine Works in San Leandro. I don't think I have trained consistently for 7 years so I am rusty and out of shape. Nice to see a fellow grappler on here. I am new to photo myself and I am part of a local photo group that offers free instruction. If you are interested PM me and I will shoot you the info.

9. Krydner

Krydner New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2013
    Vancouver, BC
    Nice edit! It looks like it would have been a lot of fun to be there. Out of curiosity, why did you switch between shooting with the GF2 and the Sony XCAM?

10. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    The main reason I used the Sony XCAM with the GF2 was because I was able to get my hands on one and get to see what it can do. After reviewing the footage, I liked my GF2/SLR Magic 35mm shots much better because of the shallow DOF.

The Sony shots were great as well but has a deeper depth. Also I was able to zoom and not worry about focus since the Sony is great at auto focus with it's smaller sensor. It also has XLR inputs which would be awesome for interviews. Unfortunately, i didn't have time then. If I were to do interviews with the GF2, I was going to use my Zoom h1 then sync the audio manually which would have been a pain.

That new Panny G6 that's coming out in a couple months would have worked even better than the GF2/Sony XDCAM combined. The G6 is now on my bucket list.

Thx for the comment.

11. justinrphillips

justinrphillips Mu-43 Regular

Nov 2, 2012
    What shutter speed did you run?

12. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    I used 1/120s for my shutter since I shot at 720p at 60 frames a second. If I shot at 1080i @30 frames I would have chosen 1/60 for my shutter.

To change shutter, go to Motion Picture and look for Flicker Red. You can set to 1/50, 1/60, 1/100 and 1/120.

13. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    That sequence at 1:50 is pretty slick. And that cartwheel to side mount.

14. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    The frame rate looks choppy. I wonder if your camera has a real 60p or if it's a 30 interlaced to make it 60? Doesn't seem suited for that kind of fast motion. Did you speed up the rolling footage in the first grappling sequence? Looks fast. Could be the choppy frame rate though. Other than the choppiness the footage looks really good.

15. ApGfoo

ApGfoo Mu-43 Regular

Dec 10, 2012
    Bay Area
    It was shot in 60fps. The choppiness or the lack of motion blur is due to the fast shutter speed 1/120s. I've read that the rule of thumb is to double the frame rate when choosing the shutter speed.

I think that rule works well mostly with more standard frame rates but can work well using higher frame rates like 60fps if you slow down the footage but in my case I didn't slow down the video.

Next time I can try shooting again at 60fps but use 1/60s shutter speed. I was gong to do that for this video but I didn't want to overexpose while keeping my aperture wide open. I can do it now since I have an ND filter. Thanks for the comments!

16. cprevost

cprevost Mu-43 Regular

Oct 31, 2012
    Ah, that makes sense. I learned something. Thanks!