Jerusalem rainy day B&W

Blue Esprit

Mu-43 Regular
Hi Guys

Just returned from a trip to the Middle East this time using my new GF2 14mm and 14-45mm zoom, I normally take a Nikon D300s with 20mm with me.
These shots were taken in the narrow streets of Jerusalem after a rain shower, it was pretty dark so I had to use 320 iso at least.
Many people here will not let you take their picture and wave their arms at you, or hide their faces, so getting some decent shots was a bit of a challenge!
In the end I tried a sneaky trick of hold the camera at waist level using a tiny bubble level in the hot shoe, and waiting for people to head towards me in the narrow streets

Jerusalem_5_sm.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
Jerusalem_7_sm.jpg
Jerusalem_6_sm.jpg
Jerusalem_4_sm.jpg
Jerusalem_3_sm.jpg
Jerusalem_2_sm.jpg
Jerusalem_9_sm.jpg

The autofocus and 14mm did most of the work!
The last shot is at 45mm on the 14-45mm zoom, I'm really pleased with this versatile little zoom, it does seem to be pretty sharp at all focal lengths.

WoodWorks

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
David
In the end I tried a sneaky trick of hold the camera at waist level using a tiny bubble level in the hot shoe, and waiting for people to head towards me in the narrow streets.
What a clever idea! I'll have to give that a try. Thanks. And your photos are well shot, and of an interesting place.

David

moccaman

Mu-43 Veteran
Yes #3 is a classic :eek::biggrin: Can you post up some colour shots of these if you have them, interested to see the colours of Israel streets.

I have come across the not wanting to be photographed phenomenon too, I am thinking my new G2 body is going to have the screen swung up 90 deg on many occasions! :)

heedpantsnow

Mu-43 Veteran
Thanks for sharing; those are some beautiful shots. I, too, have used the "hip and rip" method to capture street photos before, but always felt a little guilty about taking photos of people who I know wouldn't want their photo taken. What do you think?

Blue Esprit

Mu-43 Regular
Thanks for sharing; those are some beautiful shots. I, too, have used the "hip and rip" method to capture street photos before, but always felt a little guilty about taking photos of people who I know wouldn't want their photo taken. What do you think?

I actually think it's a fair technique to use. As long as the images are used with respect to the subject, and not used out of context. I guess many images shot in the past using Leica style rangefinders could have been done in the same way.
If you look at shot 4 the two subjects have caught me shooting them as in that case I did have the camera up at eye level while using an optical viewfinder mounted on the hotshoe.

Blue Esprit

Mu-43 Regular
Yes #3 is a classic :eek::biggrin: Can you post up some colour shots of these if you have them, interested to see the colours of Israel streets.

I have come across the not wanting to be photographed phenomenon too, I am thinking my new G2 body is going to have the screen swung up 90 deg on many occasions! :)

Hi Moccaman

Here is another b&w image with the colour original.

Jerusalem_8_sm.jpg
Omar_2.jpg

I always shoot raw then decide on colour or b&w later. It was a very grey and wet day in Jerusalem when I visited so I went for b&w in this case, although the muted colours look quite good.

~tc~

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I don't "get" street photography.

If you put the camera up to your eye, and the person says "no pictures, please", you're a jerk if you take the picture, however, if you ambush that same person with a shot from the hip, it's OK?

heedpantsnow

Mu-43 Veteran
I actually think it's a fair technique to use. As long as the images are used with respect to the subject, and not used out of context. I guess many images shot in the past using Leica style rangefinders could have been done in the same way.
If you look at shot 4 the two subjects have caught me shooting them as in that case I did have the camera up at eye level while using an optical viewfinder mounted on the hotshoe.

Yeah, I guess you're right.

Hi Moccaman

Here is another b&w image with the colour original.

I always shoot raw then decide on colour or b&w later. It was a very grey and wet day in Jerusalem when I visited so I went for b&w in this case, although the muted colours look quite good.

Wow, the b&w really pops the contrast in the stone in that shot. Beautiful!

Great work!

+1

I don't "get" street photography.

If you put the camera up to your eye, and the person says "no pictures, please", you're a jerk if you take the picture, however, if you ambush that same person with a shot from the hip, it's OK?

This is the dilemma I face a lot, and the voices in my head speak a similar language in what you're saying. But, many times I've taken the shot and it turned out amazing. Also, many of the peoples I'm photographing simply don't understand what a camera is and that it won't hurt them.

Sorry, OP, I didn't mean to threadcrap.

GaryAyala

Mu-43 Legend
Hi Guys

Just returned from a trip to the Middle East this time using my new GF2 14mm and 14-45mm zoom, I normally take a Nikon D300s with 20mm with me.
These shots were taken in the narrow streets of Jerusalem after a rain shower, it was pretty dark so I had to use 320 iso at least.
Many people here will not let you take their picture and wave their arms at you, or hide their faces, so getting some decent shots was a bit of a challenge!
In the end I tried a sneaky trick of hold the camera at waist level using a tiny bubble level in the hot shoe, and waiting for people to head towards me in the narrow streets

Jerusalem_5_sm.jpg
Jerusalem_7_sm.jpg
Jerusalem_6_sm.jpg
Jerusalem_4_sm.jpg
Jerusalem_3_sm.jpg
Jerusalem_2_sm.jpg
Jerusalem_9_sm.jpg

The autofocus and 14mm did most of the work!
The last shot is at 45mm on the 14-45mm zoom, I'm really pleased with this versatile little zoom, it does seem to be pretty sharp at all focal lengths.

Good stuff, but (the big but), when using the same perspective (waist-high) you need to move around ... the same background and perspective repetitively dilutes the impact of your images.

The last shot is my fav.

Gary

Latest threads

Top Bottom