1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Jay Kinghorn's Blog: Shooting in Low Light with the PEN E-P3

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by acmatos, Aug 16, 2011.

1. acmatos

acmatos Mu-43 Regular

2. Yotsuba

Yotsuba Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2010
    Singapore
    Thanks for the link.

I find that something is wrong with the first comment by a blog reader:

"I’m using a 26mm f1.4, so I set my EP2 (not EP3) to 55mm vs 50mm because 55mm is longer and it will compensate for shaking a bit better."

I think he should set the FL to 25mm instead of using the 2x crop factor, correct me if I'm wrong. :smile:

• Like Like x 2
  3. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    They are right: always use the actual focal length of the lens. Think about 'crop' as literally looking at only the center of the frame or picture: it moves no more or less than the whole frame, right? So stabilizing is the same for that portion as for the 'whole'.

For the same reason Jay specifies the rule: shutter = 1/FL (not 1/(2 x FL). The latter is 'safer', but not the original rule of thumb. Crop factor should have not effect on the camera shake at given shutter speeds AFAIK.

4. Yeah, he's got the focal length for the ibis wrong.

Assuming that the 1/FL was devised for standard 35mm film (correct, I think), you should use the equivalent focal length on a m4/3 cam i.e. 2x FL. Of course, being a rule of thumb it is theoretical anyway. Not everyone will be able to hold a camera as steady as the next.